Things i think we need for building

azterior

Alright, i've thought about things that would make building sooo much easier. 

1) The ability to move voxels. If we manage to flip our small vehicle over, we should have the ability to exert some amount of force on it.

2) Bind two separate structures. To allow for factories and ship yards to function efficiently we should be able to build parts of ships separately then attack the two making it one structure.

3) Artificial atmosphere in ships. I want to be able to breathe inside my own ship.

If any of these have been confirmed already, please let me know, i must have missed it. 

Thanks, Az

I don't really follow the building part so maybe someone else ca give you a heads up there

What I do know is there won't be atmosphere at first inside your ship because of server restrictions.

Yeah, maybe the nanoformer could have a "force pulse" mode that can push on dynamic constructs. That would be neat.

Merging two constructs together ala Space Engineers could also be useful, but it might fall under the docking problem. NQ isn't sure how to handle docking ships: "which one would be in control?" or something to that effect. I say let chaos reign and give us docking! ;)

I think JC mentioned that the only atmosphere we'll be getting in ships is currently most likely going to be in the form of atmo bubble generator elements. If you're inside the bubble, you get air.

Atmo in ships probably isnt going to be high priority. We do all wear suits....so at worst we have to wear helmets in ships. Which honestly is probably a good idea regardless if they do make ship atmos. Since a hull breach could happen in theory.

As stated, atmo womt be a thing, at peast for a while. 

Someway to flip a construct is needed, the nanoformer could have this function, but I havent heard it discussed. 

I completly agree on merging constructs. I hate game where if you ship gets cut in half you have to rebuild it rather than merge the pieces back together.  Especially if we wont have salvaging for a while.  

1) Moving Voxels. While I wouldn't mind a nano-former jack, it would be equally interesting to have rescue vehicles or adjusters built into a hovercraft so that it can unflip itself. Moving voxels when building just seems like a very useful tool to have (cut and paste)

2) Merging Constructs. Again, a handy thing to have, for example, to build large sections of a ship in different locations and then bring them together and join them in a central one. But it is not required when a ship is cut in half by attacks. The two "halves" will still be considered a single construct and still fly together. 

3) Atmosphere in ships. This has already been covered quite well in the above posts. It is a survival element and will not be included at release (I am not talking about alpha or beta, but actual release). Even if it is added after release it will most likely take the form of a generator that creates a bubble of atmosphere because server strain reasons.

22 hours ago, Kurock said:

2) Merging Constructs. Again, a handy thing to have, for example, to build large sections of a ship in different locations and then bring them together and join them in a central one. But it is not required when a ship is cut in half by attacks. The two "halves" will still be considered a single construct and still fly together.

Are you sure about this?  Has this been confirmed or suggested by Devs?

I get that it would be less calculations, but its a bit immersion breaking. Staremade does this, but games like SE doesnt. SEs system is more realistic. 

Im not even sure if you can cyt a ship in half using guns.  Some of the damage mechanics havnt beem fully stated. However you could be building a ship and remove the wrong piece, cutting a chunk off.  

It would indeed be really stupid (looking) to have a Construct cut in half from combat and still being a single Object that shares all applied forces (acceleration, ...).

But in Shipbuilding itself I like the Idea of having multiple suppliers that each build parts of ships and then they are put together in a seperate Factory.

Like it is done for Cars and other big and complex stuff.

Indeed, a construct can become separate from itself yet remain a single entity. Merging one construct to another hasn't even been mentioned, let alone discussed or planned. Even details on docking are sketchy at best.

"A construct can become separate from itself yet remain a single entity". So, I can build a bunch of battleships stuck together by some trusses, remove the trusses, and have the battleships remain as a single entity? So I can control a fleet of my own?

I wouldn't call that a fleet, more like a super battleship. It would be nice if a potential merge feature would allow us to put core units on separate pieces, ask the core unit to "calculate" to find where the incontinuities are so that it could unmerge and become its own construct.

Yes, constructs stay together even when "split" apart. It all has to do with the core unit and blueprints and everything. Now, whether elements separated completely from power sources or the core unit will still work, or operate correctly, that's unknown.

3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

"A construct can become separate from itself yet remain a single entity". So, I can build a bunch of battleships stuck together by some trusses, remove the trusses, and have the battleships remain as a single entity? So I can control a fleet of my own?

Yeah, you could do this, but they are still rigidly connected. This would be no different than just combining them all into one big ship.