Alioth Desolation

Shockeray

21 hours ago, _devu_ said:

And that idea has nothing to do with compressing technology to pretend you can carry few tones in your pocket. Yeas you can store more in relatively small area, but when put back on the ground it should have the same volume as original. 

I do love this idea as it adds so many interesting game play aspects that I have yet to see explored in any other games.

orginal[

Hallo Lethys,

es geht wohl darum, das um die ARK kein schweizer Käse entsteht.

Wenn nun aber jeder Spieler nur ein Hexagon innerhalb der Sicherheitszone belegen darf, wird er nicht immer nur ein Loch produzieren.

Andererseits muß man es ihm auch nicht verbieten. Aber es ist pro Spieler dann auch nur ein Loch (innerhalb der Sicherheitszone).

Die Zusammenlegung von Geländen macht aus Organisatorischengründen für Organisationen durchaus Sinn. Damit Organisationen nur soviel Gebiet belegen können wie Sie Mitglieder haben, sollte es eine Regelung geben die Spieler daran hindert Gebiete in mehreren Organisationen innerhalb der Schutzzone zu belegen (obiger Post war eine Idee).

Die Größe des Gebietes, kleiner als ein Hexagon kann eine Präsens der Organisation in Gebietsgröße flexiebler gestallten. Mehrere Spieler belegen ein Hexagon, können dann aber

auch Teile eins anderen Hexagons belegen (Gemeinschaftsicherheit).

]orginal

google-englisch[

Hello Lethys,

It is probably about the ARK no Swiss cheese is created.
But if each player can only occupy 1 hexagon within the safety zone, hi will not always produce only an hole.
On the other hand, it must not be forbidden. But it is per player then only one hole (within the security zone).

The pooling of sites makes sense for organizations. In order for organizations to occupy as much territory as you have members, there should be a rule which prevents players from occupying areas in several organizations within the protection zone (above post was an idea).

The size of the area, smaller than a hexagon can create a present of the organization in area size flexible. Multiple players occupy a hex, but can then also parts of another hexagon (community security).

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

@huschhusch

hexagons have a diameter of roughly 1km - plenty of space to dig plenty of holes. So it still doesn't solve anything

Again: they already plan on taxing those people who spawn a TCU within the arkzone - this prevents people from taking too many tiles AND can be used as quanta sink too. Since TCUs will be tremendously expensive (AND you have to pay for the upkeep within the arkzone) I don't think that many privateers will hold tiles within the safezone - this is (and always was intended to be imho) and org effort.

To me you can't restrict players in taking a tile for themselves. If they can pay the upkeep costs and don't fuck it up big time (so that NQ has to intervene), I don't see any reason why that player shouldn't be allowed to keep that tile. Or 5 tiles. Or, if he has billions of quanta, 10 tiles.

orginal[

Hallo Lethys,

ja man kann große Löcher graben, aber nur Eins pro Spieler in der Sicherheitszone und dann werden die meisten es wieder schließen!

Es geht ja um den Anfang des Spiels,  da spielen TCUs überhaubt keine Rolle, man muß sein Gebiet schon verteidigen.

Als Einzelspieler wird es ohne einen Schutz vor gegnerischen Grabungen nicht gehen.

Die Steuer schützen dich kaum, wie Du ja selbst schreibest ist es ja nur eine Sache des Geldes. Damit haben aber neue Spieler einen entscheidenten Nachteil.

]orginal

google-englisch[

Hello Lethys,

Yes you can dig big holes, but only one per player in the security zone and then most will close it again!
It is about the beginning of the game, because TCUs do not play any role, one must defend his area already.
As a single player it will not go without protection from enemy excavations.
The tax does not protect you, as you yourself write it is only a matter of money. However, new players have a decisive disadvantage.

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

•  

31 minutes ago, huschhusch said:

Hello Lethys,

Yes you can dig big holes, but only one per player in the security zone and then most will close it again!
It is about the beginning of the game, because TCUs do not play any role, one must defend his area already.
As a single player it will not go without protection from enemy excavations.
The tax does not protect you, as you yourself write it is only a matter of money. However, new players have a decisive disadvantage.

mfG Die Waldfee

•  

You can dig as many as you want. Be it inside the arkzone or outside.

You don't need to defend anything in the arkzone - there's no pew pew possible in that zone. Outside you need to defend yourself, even WITH a TCU. I think you mix something here.

Those taxes are only paid INSIDE the safezone for aquiring a tile there - it's not a mechanic to protect anyone but to hinder people from just taking tiles within the safezone and doing nothing with it.

New players will ALWAYS have a decisive disadvantage - be it skills, money or friends.

orginal[

Hallo Lethys,

nun das Problem ist das Gebiet um die ARK, außerhalb sollten alle Freiheiten gelten. Daher beziehen sich meine Vorschläge nur auf diesen Bereich.

Mit Angriffen meine ich das unterminieren oder überbauen von Strukturen anderer Spieler oder Organisationen (kein PEW PEW).

Wenn eine Art Recht neue Spieler ermöglicht einen Startpunkt zu setzen, ist dies meiner Meinung nach nur fair.

]orginal

google-englisch[

Hello Lethys,

Now the problem is the area around the ARK, outside should apply all freedoms. Therefore, my proposals only relate to this area.

With attacks I mean, to undermine or build structures around, from other players or organizations (no PEW PEW).
If a kind of right new players allows a starting point to put, this is my opinion only fair.

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

Well that's why RDMS is there for, it's already covered with a well thought out system.

You can't set a new starting point - all players start at the ark ship. Maybe later there will be a second arkship for players to spawn but not any time soon after release. You don't want to split the player base

orginal[

Hallo Lethys,

ich habe das Forum nach RDMS durchsucht, aber nichts gefunden.

Leider bin ich in Abkürzungen nicht so bewandert wie Du. Bitte kläre mich auf.

]orginal

google-englisch[

Hello Lethys,

I searched the forum for RDMS, but found nothing.
Unfortunately, I am not as versed as you are in abbreviations. Please, enlighten me.

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

orginal[

ok ich habe gefunden, wenn Du das Meinst.

RDNS (Rights & Duties Management System)

]orginal

google-englisch[

Ok I have found, if you mean.

RDNS (Rights & Duties Management System)

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

orginal[

Ich denke schon das NQ über dieses Sytem einen Weg findet ein Bild wie im untenstehenden Bild zu vermeiden.

On 9.7.2017 at 9:41 PM, DarkHorizon said:

An artistic rendition of the five current largest orgs (TU, BOO, SI, CS, UL respectively) and how Alioth will look 24 hours after alpha launches. The small purple thing is the arkship.

The discussion around destructive mining practices got me thinking this. I don't speak on behalf of any org represented, this is simply an impression of these orgs that I had made based on what I've heard in discord in the past month and through recent videos posted on youtube.

This is a humorous take on things and meant to be in good taste. c:

Oh, apologies to Silverlight, I can't draw a spaceship so I did the next best thing. Enjoy.

28miy9w.jpg

Mit dem Recht auf einen Startpunkt, meinte ich nur ein Hexagon das jeder Spieler belegen kann. Natürlich fangen wir alle in der ARK an.

]orginal

google-englisch[

I think the NQ over this system a way to find a picture as in the picture befor to avoid.

With the right to a starting point, I meant only a hexagon that every player can occupy. Of course, we all start in the ARK.

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

9 minutes ago, huschhusch said:

I think the NQ over this system a way to find a picture as in the picture befor to avoid.

With the right to a starting point, I meant only a hexagon that every player can occupy. Of course, we all start in the ARC.

Well the pic isn't quite accurate - maybe they block mining in the arkzone. 

and outside of it - let players do stuff. It's a player run game with player run empires. If you don't like that some org trolls others and just digs useless holes -> get a team, kill them, take over their TCU, fill up those holes.

If you don't like something (and as long as it is within the EULA) - do something YOURSELF about it. It's a social MMO after all

A simple solution would be to have earthworks erode - fill with regular soil over time - eventually smoothing out to just a dimple in the ground. They do not have to restock minerals, just have an algorithm that looks for holes that have not had interaction in a long period of time, and slowly replace their voxel materials. 

28 minutes ago, WilksCheckov said:

A simple solution would be to have earthworks erode - fill with regular soil over time - eventually smoothing out to just a dimple in the ground. They do not have to restock minerals, just have an algorithm that looks for holes that have not had interaction in a long period of time, and slowly replace their voxel materials. 

The issue is this would remove the ability for talented and motivated people to teraform the arkship area into something beautiful, any changes they made to the terrain would be have to pass the algorithm to stay in place. While a possibility, I don't think that is the best way to deal with this.

2 hours ago, Shockeray said:

The issue is this would remove the ability for talented and motivated people to teraform the arkship area into something beautiful, any changes they made to the terrain would be have to pass the algorithm to stay in place. While a possibility, I don't think that is the best way to deal with this.

It does not Shockeray as long as erosion does not play a part on claimed land...

Erosion should only be applicable on unclaimed - free land. To fix those random holes people dig, and then just leave. 

6 hours ago, huschhusch said:

orginal[

du machst wohl keine halben Sachen?!

]orginal

google-englisch[

You probably do not do half things?

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

Nope, ofc not. That's the beauty of a sandbox: you don't need a dev to intervene, you can DIY :D

1 hour ago, WilksCheckov said:

It does not Shockeray as long as erosion does not play a part on claimed land...

Erosion should only be applicable on unclaimed - free land. To fix those random holes people dig, and then just leave. 

Though I like the idea of erosion, it imposes some major drawbacks and I'm unsure if that will play out well.

Underground bases would need constant digging (you could argue against that this work is necessary and part of the benefits of having such a base) and on the other hand, underground bases might benefit too much from such mechanics as the entrances always vanish and shift.....

So yeah, not sure if this is a good idea

21 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Though I like the idea of erosion, it imposes some major drawbacks and I'm unsure if that will play out well.

Underground bases would need constant digging (you could argue against that this work is necessary and part of the benefits of having such a base) and on the other hand, underground bases might benefit too much from such mechanics as the entrances always vanish and shift.....

Well, as @WilksCheckov said, if erosion only applied on unclaimed land, that wouldn't really be an issue. As long a base and your active mining operations were on your claimed land, they would remain exactly as you leave them, but any unclaimed land would slowly deteriorate back to natural terrain, probably lacking the resources. Although the speed at which this happened would have to be worked on quite a bit before it would feel balanced I would guess, this would give another aspect of gaming. You could find partially deteriorated unclaimed bases and cities perhaps months after a large organization pulls out. Small holes could fill in a couple days while massive terrain modifications could take much longer. And since the same rendering technique is used on buildings, they could deteriorate as well if unclaimed, while maybe at a much slower rate so that they wouldn't be useless after a small time period.

orginal[

Erosion durch Wasser, das andere Teile des Gebiets umlagert, durch Regen, Flüsse oder Gewässer.

Unterirdisch Bauten sollten dann besser wasserdicht sein!

]orginal

google-englisch[

Erosion by water that surrounds other parts of the area, by rain, rivers or waters.
Underground buildings should then be better waterproof!

]google-englisch

nfG Die Waldfee

32 minutes ago, Shockeray said:

Well, as @WilksCheckov said, if erosion only applied on unclaimed land, that wouldn't really be an issue. As long a base and your active mining operations were on your claimed land, they would remain exactly as you leave them, but any unclaimed land would slowly deteriorate back to natural terrain, probably lacking the resources. Although the speed at which this happened would have to be worked on quite a bit before it would feel balanced I would guess, this would give another aspect of gaming. You could find partially deteriorated unclaimed bases and cities perhaps months after a large organization pulls out. Small holes could fill in a couple days while massive terrain modifications could take much longer. And since the same rendering technique is used on buildings, they could deteriorate as well if unclaimed, while maybe at a much slower rate so that they wouldn't be useless after a small time period.

Ok, maybe I failed to bring my point across:

HIDDEN underground bases - I would NEVER actually place a TCU in that tile where that base is - for obvious reasons.

10 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Ok, maybe I failed to bring my point across:

HIDDEN underground bases - I would NEVER actually place a TCU in that tile where that base is - for obvious reasons.

Seems an issue by not placing a TCU there is what would happen if someone else places a TCU there and you lose your stuff?  

Something I learnt from my time in the old minecraft factions server when I was young would be place the control point(tcu) on top and build a little fort to make it look like thats all you have. However, keep the main below. Any person passing by will not think twice while only those who actually know will be safe underground. 

That is until a giant ship comes crashing down from orbit on top of the base ;)

well as this is a sandbox, not placing a TCU has advantages and drawbacks - losing your base because someone claims that tile is one of the drawbacks. Then again we don't know how the RDMS system will work in that regard - you can't edit the base anymore but you could still evac all goods you have stored there (won't be that many anyhow)

orginal[

wenn ich es richtig verstanden habe, setzt die TCU nur das RDMS-System auf dem Hexfeld inkraft.

Die TCU ist offsichtlich kein Schutz vor Angriffen. Der Schutz vor Angriffen wird wohl durch die Kuppel über der ARK gebildet und durch die Verhinderung des Waffengebrauchs in diesem Bereich.
]orginal
google-englisch[

If I have understood correctly, the TCU only sets the RDMS system on the hex field.
The TCU is obviously no protection from attacks. The protection against attacks is probably formed by the dome over the ARK and by the prevention of the weapon use in this area.

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

@huschhusch

Yes, correct. The RDMS only prevents others from digging in your tile and taking stuff from containers and such.

Outside the arkzone you can link and build a shield bubble generator to that TCU too to protect your tile with a 48h timer (takes dmg -> 48h later it can be killed // meanwhile you can organize defenses).