Distance Tool

Shynras

Would be cool to have a tool when building to measure the distance between voxels, so that is easier to create spheres, circles or other curves. At the same time is very useful just to measure the lenght of your ship, wings and other parts, so that we don't have to count the voxel manually (and lose count inevitably 10 times before getting it right).

Absolutely. Something like this could also be very important when people work together to build something large. If I do something decent sized alone I can look what seems right and make random corrections. If you have 10 people working on single construct possibly, different parts at different times, it is quite necessary to have at least some sort of plan and measures, so you can tell people to built this to 500 meters long, make sure that all hallways are 3 meters high and airlocks 2 meters in radius so they all match each other. At that point people should be able to measure what they are building without spending half of the time to count whatever grids are shown on voxels. 

Yes, this kind of tool is often lacking to have a global vision of the buildings. In space engineers I am forced to build a ruler with blocks sometimes...

The copy/paste and symetry tools can make things easier, but not all the time.

Actually, we ideally need a true conception tool. For instance, just having the construct or the camera turning instead of the builder character is far better.

For this, Avorion construction mode is more practical than the construction mode in SE. The difference comes probably from the fact that we play directly as a ship in Avorion.

I didn't realize how much we needed this until right now. A line traced to the initial placement point with a small distance measure would be really great. There should also be some way of telling if you're drawing strait lines, because it will be really easy (and really annoying) to place something slightly off-center, especially when copy-pasting lots of elements, like in the most recent Dev Diary.

Dear Devs, plz make this a thing. Sincerely, your fans.

Something like the measure tool from Solidworks would be great. In Solidworks, the measure tool allows you to select two point, lines, or planes to measure against each other. You can measure the distance between things or even the lengths of lines or areas of planes. I'll even suggest adding measuring volume for 3D selections.

Taking two points will give you the straight line distance, as well as the length along each major axis.

Two lines will give the point of intersection, or the shortest distance between them. (or indicate if parallel)

Two planes will give the angle between them. (or indicate parallel)

And every combination.

Here's an image of it:

SW13_Measure5.jpg

Yes, something just like that, but I would prefer it applied every time you place an object, so that you don't have to place, go back, measure, then move and edit if it's wrong. Some small and relatively unobtrusive would also be nice, as the separate dialogue box from SolidWorks would get very old very fast.

• 2 weeks later...

While there isn't currently a tool to measure angles in-game, you have however some visual feedback to measure the distance in straight line when you are in Building Mode, as shown in this DevDiary video (at 3:27):

- a square defined with faint lines indicates a side length of 25cm (the size of a voxel on a Construct).

- a square defined with moderate lines indicates a side length of 50 cm.

- a square defined with strong lines indicates a side length of 1m.

On 21.7.2017 at 5:46 PM, NQ-Nyzaltar said:

While there isn't currently a tool to measure angles in-game, you have however some visual feedback to measure the distance in straight line when you are in Building Mode, as shown in this DevDiary video (at 3:27):

- a square defined with faint lines indicates a side length of 25cm (the size of a voxel on a Construct).

- a square defined with moderate lines indicates a side length of 50 cm.

- a square defined with strong lines indicates a side length of 1m.

Still needs proper measurement tool. The lines on voxel still mean that people would have to spend lot of time just counting squares. For example,what if I want to make something exactly 345 meters long for some reason (ie. because that fits the agreed plan since larger builds would be cooperative efforts, or maybe I want to replicate some scifi ship design in exactly real size.) I don't think tat counting 345 thinly drawn squares counts as entertaining, creative, engaging or social which I hope the game to be. Better to click on point and then other an see the distance, maybe have ability to move the point to keep up with the build. Then spend the saved time actually making the ship. 

57 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Speaking of symmetry,how about a symmetry mode?

In another dev diary they mentioned you're able to use copy & paste for symmetry. I doubt they'll be working on a dedicated symmetry mode for a while