Moving parts and mechanics

ADFormer

Hi, so I was hoping some pistons, rotors, and connecters of some sort could be added so you can do things like this (first I want to say that I tried to find a better example, but this is the best a found so pretend you are doing this with ships I guess):

I'm not sure that you will be able to build machines like that in the game. They are just too complicated to try and replicate exactly. From what we have heard, it sounds like there will be some elements that can be added to a ship to give it some moving parts, but nothing as radical as that. 

I don't want to see this for the only reason performance issues. I understand some special objects like a hanger, door, etc. But I don't want to see something like pistons, etc. They are cool but this is not Space Engineers and it's a MMORPG after all. Their tech put into scale and amazing LOD not into realistic physics engine. 

The problem with this sort of thing is the added technical strain it imposes on the server. We're  going to have hundreds of ships in one place at any given time, and if even half of them are moving and transforming, that's a massive additional technical load. So, while I agree that this is cool, it's not technically wise.

1 hour ago, Vorengard said:

The problem with this sort of thing is the added technical strain it imposes on the server. We're  going to have hundreds of ships in one place at any given time, and if even half of them are moving and transforming, that's a massive additional technical load. So, while I agree that this is cool, it's not technically wise.

I personally would like to have moving parts. However, I think they will not implement it partly because of what you stated but also because that would help to automate a lot of things which they don't want.

9 hours ago, Vorengard said:

Moving parts can also great outright immediate problems with themselves. Those who have played space engineers have seen this with pistons, rotors (and also maglock landingear). You know, spontanious explosions and stuff. Then again I was considering building a temple for Klang somewhere in DU and having moving parts blowing up all around from his wrath could bring more followers. 

With the new CPU lines revealed by AMD as well as Intel we will get access to many more cores. Perhaps this is something that could be added in the future as technology inside our gaming rigs grows ever more advanced.

The beauty of an MMO is that the game will be expanded upon.

Having that said, I agree that performance should be prioritized over eye candy / animations.

The problem in Space Engineers is the way they implemented collision damage.  The moving parts keep colliding with each other and when they are damaged enough they explode.  DU will not be handling voxel to voxel collisions the same way Space Engineers does, so it should be possible to avoid that problem.

I am curious how moving parts could be used to automate anything.  They could definitely make a more interesting experience for players, but I do not see how they would actually contribute to anything we would be concerned about automating, like mining, crafting, building or fighting.

Moving parts might no increase the strain on the game that much.  If it can already handle a large number number of moving constructs, would connecting some of them be worse?  It might actually be less of  a load, because the movements of the parts relative to each other would be more predictable.

Without the in-depth knowledge of how the software works that the developers have, it is difficult so say what will or will not be practical.  If moving parts are practical, I really hope they are implemented some time.

• 3 weeks later...

It was mentioned once or twice that it's something they would really like to do. But it's anyone's guess when it could enter the game. There are only so many things they can develop at once. 

I personally would like to see pistons and other move able parts in the game.

It's nice to see so many people concerned about the possible strain this would add to the servers. But the truth is nobody of us knows how challenging it would be on the servers. 

Dual Universe is constantly pushing the boundaries of what's possible, who knows what's possible over the life of the game. ?

Again and again I'm thinking that people who can make a single-shard game with this kind of server technology und persistence possible should have an easier time making moving parts possible. 
But that's probably not it, if NQ wanted, they could surely make it possible. At least, that's my guess. It's probably just difficult to make everything compatible with each other and takes time that might instead be used on more features.

But as Falstaf said, who knows what's possible over the life time of DU. You can get a lot done within 2 years and the updates won't stop with Stargates coming in.

On ‎8‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 4:47 AM, jmorrison51 said:

I personally would like to have moving parts. However, I think they will not implement it partly because of what you stated but also because that would help to automate a lot of things which they don't want.

>...but also because that would help to automate a lot of things.

what? How?

On 7/8/2017 at 9:10 AM, Ben Fargo said:

I am curious how moving parts could be used to automate anything.  They could definitely make a more interesting experience for players, but I do not see how they would actually contribute to anything we would be concerned about automating, like mining, crafting, building or fighting.

This is just a general idea that popped into my head, but they may be useful for changing engine or weapon positions  on a ship. 

In regards to moving a engine of course it would take advanced scripting to compensate but could greatly effect the mobility of a ship (not necessarily speed but how well they turn).

Repositioning weapons and engines is a useful purpose I was not thinking of.  A ship that did it well could definitely have an advantage, but I do not see that as a problem of automation.  It gives a ship more abilities, but it is not replacing work players would otherwise be doing manually.

The only other thing I can think that comes close to relevant are various traps, hidden entrances or defense walls, possibly pop-up turrets.

In terms of automating tasks we ourselves would do, I can't think of any either.

I can think of situations where adjustable wings might be necessary to increase the aerodynamics of a ship designed to operate in space and atmosphere. For example, perhaps you need a longer wing span to remain stable in atmo, but that extra surface area is just a vulnerability in space.

Or perhaps moving elements could allow you to re-position weapons for different situations, such as air-to-air vs air-to-ground. Assuming of course that weapon positioning matters at all...

On 31.7.2017 at 7:38 PM, Omfgreenhair said:

LORD KLANG BE PRAISED!

Praise be praise be. Would you like to join me in building a temple for Klang to sooth his anger in order to protect those using rotors and pistons?

On 4.8.2017 at 6:49 PM, Vorengard said:

I can think of situations where adjustable wings might be necessary to increase the aerodynamics of a ship designed to operate in space and atmosphere. For example, perhaps you need a longer wing span to remain stable in atmo, but that extra surface area is just a vulnerability in space.

U-wings anyone?