I hope my goals are't loftier than what the system can handle

Wardonis

I've always been a ship builder and I have designed several ships, even a few capital ships all the way down to room furniture. While i'm not expecting to perfectly recreate my ships in DU I still want to give it a good try. Think DU can handle my goals?

The Valenroth 2 decks, designed for a crew of 8, an exceedingly nimble assault scout capable of extended long range missions

The Maelstrom 5 decks, designed for a crew of 32, A fast and maneuverable corvette that can land

The Trident 5 decks, designed for a crew of 160, primarily a science ship that has a fighter bay and an extensive science package

The Centurion 15 decks, designed for a crew of 685, a small capital ship that is extensively armed and armored. Has 2 fighter bays

I have a few dozen more ships but these will be the 1st ones i'll attempt to make, what, if any, problems will I most likely encounter?

Based on what we have seen so far of the ship building you should be able to create whatever sort of ships you want, even massive ones. As to problems you will encounter:

1. Cost. Gathering all of the resources or buying them for massive ships like this will be a pain if you are by yourself, especially in the beginning of the game. 
  2. Physics. Building in DU requires that the ship function much like a real ship, so you have to account for the game's physics. This includes engine and thruster placement and possibly even aerodynamics. 
  3. Crew. Getting 8 friends on to fly the Valenroth should be pretty easy, but getting 685 people on to fly the Centurion will be nearly impossible unless the game explodes in popularity. For reference, the largest single organization right now has about 447 people.

1 hour ago, Lord_Void said:

Based on what we have seen so far of the ship building you should be able to create whatever sort of ships you want, even massive ones. As to problems you will encounter:

1. Cost. Gathering all of the resources or buying them for massive ships like this will be a pain if you are by yourself, especially in the beginning of the game. 
  2. Physics. Building in DU requires that the ship function much like a real ship, so you have to account for the game's physics. This includes engine and thruster placement and possibly even aerodynamics. 
  3. Crew. Getting 8 friends on to fly the Valenroth should be pretty easy, but getting 685 people on to fly the Centurion will be nearly impossible unless the game explodes in popularity. For reference, the largest single organization right now has about 447 people.

This.

So while it is technically possible, you will need quite a bunch of help to pull off the larger ships in any decent timeframe.

I Realize that resources will be the largest hurdle but I have ideas to tackle that.

I was thinking of using LUA for consoles. Have some consoles that can be switched between manual, basic and automatic. So for the most basic stuff like pilot and gunner, the gunner position can be set to automatic such as "return fire" command to turrets. The basic would give pilot simple weapon controls while automating some. where as using manual would require a 2nd player. With a crew the size of the Centurion about 75% of the crew are not active at once, they are on different shifts. Things like Fighters can be automated and stuff like supply, catering, engineering, maintenance, etc wouldn't be required in-game, so it could largely be reduced to a crew of no more than 12 for the jumbo. The maelstrom could run with 2 players, the Valenroth with only 1. Or at leaset thats my goal

That's good.

I wouldn't count too much on automation because NQ has mentioned that they want to make sure that automation does not go overboard. So if you plan on having automated systems be aware that they may not perform nearly as well as a human crew member could. 

14 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

That's good.

I wouldn't count too much on automation because NQ has mentioned that they want to make sure that automation does not go overboard. So if you plan on having automated systems be aware that they may not perform nearly as well as a human crew member could. 

I absolutely agree, it'd always be better to have real players doing the stuff, but other players aren't always available and being able to still do something will help

6 hours ago, Wardonis said:

I absolutely agree, it'd always be better to have real players doing the stuff, but other players aren't always available and being able to still do something will help

It won't be feasible at all to use automation - otherwise it would just break the game. So expect it to lose at least 60-80% there, maybe barely enough to defend from 1 or 2 ppl attacking your huge ship.

As others have stated it is very likely that you can build that big. I would be concerned however with fueling the ship and maintaining it. I would say to definitely set your goals to build what you want, but imo I would start small to get a feel for the mechanics and material cost, fuel cost etc.

I am a ship builder as well and although I do like large capital ships, I find that they are rarely necessary (in other games that is). I would focus on something that does what you need it to do, but does not go over board. That being said, if you are the primary builder for a large 100+ organization, then you should have the support to make your large vessels :)

On 7/7/2017 at 8:45 AM, Kiklix said:

As others have stated it is very likely that you can build that big. I would be concerned however with fueling the ship and maintaining it. I would say to definitely set your goals to build what you want, but imo I would start small to get a feel for the mechanics and material cost, fuel cost etc.

I am a ship builder as well and although I do like large capital ships, I find that they are rarely necessary (in other games that is). I would focus on something that does what you need it to do, but does not go over board. That being said, if you are the primary builder for a large 100+ organization, then you should have the support to make your large vessels :)

I do plan to start with small craft like fighters, bombers, shuttles and hoppers and work my way up as commission brings in the $ for it. Also thinking about opening up the Aegis Foundation to custom orders