Suggestions for in depth character customization

azterior

I love when games have physical manifestations of upgrades, i find it increases immersion and variation from character to character. So moving onto my main point, i believe more than the colour of your armor should be varied, I believe you should be able to create different forms of armor that do different things, since this is a very broad statement let me elaborate. 

You are part of the main troops of a small army preparing top attack an enemy base, you dont need the long sustained flight of a jetpack so you opt to where a much quicker variant, a sleeker and faster jumpack for short bursts of flight and a slow descent. You dont need the agility provided by your current light armor so you wear a heavier however slower armor to allow you to take the front. 

This would both give your character identity with it's look but also provide a tactical advantage provided by it. It would also encourage player driven corporations to manufacture and sell these armors to other players creating an ingame social and economy improvement. This would also make corporation factions a valuable asset to military factions. 

The only downside save for the time it would require the programmers and artist to make this, is the fact that this would give new players a slightly greater disadvantage considering they have neither a ship nor decent armor. To help remedy this slightly, i would say that your armor can be stolen from your body when dead, however this is not a perfect solution.

Thoughts?

As of what I personally know of this at the current moment is that they plan to add in more in depth customization features, however, it will not be until substantially down the line as they want to focus on developing the core features of the game first.  

I think these are great ideas, and I'd be very surprised if they didn't make it into the game in the long term. However, I doubt we'll see them any time soon as this feature is definitely not critical to having a complete game. As you said, it just takes a lot of effort to make the art and to balance the items, but perhaps this will be implemented eventually. 

I don't think these will be in Alpha, however later down the road I can definitely see this being added.

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing I think of when I read this is Tribes (except with more variations/customizations of course).

I'll echo those above and say I hope to see it later in development!