An idea: A German state in Dual Universe? - Phase 1

Yep, we're a cartel/mafia....as it's written there too....

We deliver content and bring excitement. We make sure people have fun and watch their back. We give the police something to do. We're the reason your shipyards sell ships. We're the reason why your convoys need protection and people got something to do.

Would be plain boring if everyone was at peace and there's literally nothing to do. 

German:

In Arma 3 machen wir uns gerne mal lustig über Leute die sich in der Rolle direkt selber als Kriminelle outen.
Solche Leute kommen bei uns direkt auf die Watchliste.

Als kriminelle Organisation sollte man sich schon mühe geben dies zu verschleiern.

Freu mich schon auf die ersten Organisationsübergreifenden Fahnungslisten. ^^

Another one's pain might be another one's gain. One should not forget that in reality and then the digital world(s), criminal elements can be used by state actors against others.

I think it might be a mistake to assume it's "just us good guys vs the bad criminals, pirates, etc.". Not all states or organizations will be friendly to each other - even a difference in ideology or so can already result in hostile actions. To slowly head towards the topic: We intend to have some law enforcement / security structures that also need to be filled on that note. The rest, such as cooperation "beyond borders" depends on emergent gameplay.

------------------

Translation, yo:

Des einen Freud ist des anderen Leid. Man sollte nicht vergessen oder eben bedenken, dass in der Realität wie auch den virtuellen Welten kriminelle Elemente auch von staatlichen Akteuren genutzt werden könnten, um gegen andere eingesetzt zu werden. Gibt (leider) nicht nur die "Wir gegen die" Mentalität, oder Schwarz und Weiss. Manche Staaten (orgs) sind schon aufgrund von Ideologie Spinnefeind oder könnten es schnell werden. Wieder leicht on-topic: logischerweise ist auch eine Form von innere Sicherheit und weiterer Kram angedacht - aber auch das muss noch mit Leuten gefüllt werden. Der Rest wie "grenzübergreifende Kooperation" ist wohl eine Sache des "Emergent Gameplay".

8 hours ago, huschhusch said:

Mafia_klein.jpg.ed24c0ed20a4ae7b1905a4d88da19fc4.jpg

English (Translator used)

Such structures are also called mafia.

German (orginal)

solche Strukturen nennt man auch Mafia.

mfG Die Waldfee

GOOD, now you know why the drive-bys will happen.

Hello CaptainTwerkmotor,
Which ALT in the list you are. I must know who I am afraid of? ;)

German (orginal)

Hallo CaptainTwerkmotor,

welcher ALT in der Liste bist Du. Ich muß ja wissen vor wem ich mich fürchten muß ? ;)

mfG Die Waldfee

1 hour ago, huschhusch said:

Hello CaptainTwerkmotor,
Which ALT in the list you are. I must know who I am afraid of? ;)

German (orginal)

Hallo CaptainTwerkmotor,

welcher ALT in der Liste bist Du. Ich muß ja wissen vor wem ich mich fürchten muß ? ;)

mfG Die Waldfee

We are legion, we are many, we are bunnies.

Bunny ?
I just wanted to know how your official name is in BOO, not what you dream about.

German (orginal)

Häschen ?

Ich wollte eigendlich nur wissen wie dein offizieller Name in BOO ist, nicht wovon Du träumst.

mfG Die Waldfee

1 hour ago, huschhusch said:

Bunny ?
I just wanted to know how your official name is in BOO, not what you dream about.

German (orginal)

Häschen ?

Ich wollte eigendlich nur wissen wie dein offizieller Name in BOO ist, nicht wovon Du träumst.

mfG Die Waldfee

Unlike some, I have no dellusions I can lead one part of an organisation.

Shows me for being self-aware and tame... I guess???

• 1 month later...

*Bump* Dusting off some cobwebs here.

Still looking for interested people for the future.

Recent thoughts encourage a Rhineland (Republic) approach. One could almost copy that faction from the Freelancer game, but I'm personally wondering if someone might complain (see earlier debates or problems where player organizations tried to mirror the Galactic Empire from SW including logos or other content and copyright concerns) later on.

I personally assume it would be easier in this case as "Rhineland" is really broader than "Galactic Empire" while having logos of said Star Wars entity plastered all over. Instead of trying to be a copy, you can simply draw loose inspiration from it, something the player organizations that were affected in the Star Wars copyright debate also adjusted to from what I can tell.

To bring things forward a bit, I hereby suggest

The federal Republic of Rhineland

that is roughly inspired by the Freelancer faction or "house" without trying to be an exact copy.

I think that is positive for a matter of reasons. It's a nod to the SL/FL franchise, avoids using actual real life country names (compared to using "Germany" in the name for example) and still covers a certain cultural background - sorry non-Rhinelanders on that note. In addition, using a more modern form of government will likely be perceived better by default compared to something else and it might seem more logical in the setting of DU, even if we have other player nations that portray empires.

What do you think? What other potential names do you think fit?

Should you be interested in taking part, express it here or, more ideally, also send me a private message. The same goes for hard concerns or dislikes you might have, too.

Due to the intended setup so far you can also take part if you're already part of an organization if you fit the bill. (Player) Companies might later benefit after all and as encouragement, players from companies that take part actively in this endeavor and let it lift off will likely see benefits for their companies later on as reward for participation - within reason.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Since the idea at its core was so far realized and "kickstarted" by an organization, this will move into the background ("Pending") or can be considered "fulfilled" so far.

Reference:

This here will remain for potential alternatives in terms of style, design or structure (e.g. Rhineland state from Freelancer game) should the need ever arise, by the simple formula of supply and demand: If people have a demand for it, they should get on it to make it a reality. If you don't want to create something new or different, join what's already there :)

• 7 months later...

A little "resurrection" posting:

Since a group picking up the idea changed its concept some time ago, there isn't really (to my knowledge!) any group going for this at this time. There may be German speaking or centered organizations, but those I know of do not seem to fit the bill as they are more so general interest-groups or corporations.

The specific idea for this type of state or project is something closer to a classic player run nation with a government, agencies, diplomats, etc and an emphasis on German (and perhaps Swiss or Austrian) cultural elements and maybe stereotypes (in good fun). I still think a good fictional example would be one of the houses (or states) called "Rhineland" from the Freelancer game. I would not even be opposed to making it a "copy" in name, although logos and media should be unique or different to prevent potential issues or just eyes being rolled at it becoming an actual copy.

Fictional reference: http://freelancer.wikia.com/wiki/Rheinland

Anyone interested at this time?

We need founding members. Due to the nature of the project, ideally German speaking ones - for now.

I, for one, am interested enough to "kickstart" this project and idea, but cannot possibly do so full-time due to being involved in other numerous projects. So it is very much a collaborative effort. Is it worth it? I think so. It can stand out as one of the more unique 'organizations' over time and serve as hub for not just German speaking players but anyone interested in later visiting a German centered group in-game. Think of it like having a vacation (or business visit) in another country while seeing other cultural impacts. It's often interesting in reality.

And we can make it interesting in-game.

TL;DR: The creation of a 'classic player state' with an emphasis on German (and maybe Swiss / Austrian) cultural aspects and fictional influences, primarily but not solely for German-speaking players, at least in government positions. Type of government would either be modern or maybe monarchic depending on what an eventual founding team would be able to agree on. References or turns to real extreme ideologies, far left or far right, are not intended at all.