Modules need power

Slaxx

I would guess that they would require power like Space Engineers. If they end up having lasers or anything like that for weapons you will need some type of power source. I know for planets you will have solar power, or something similar as suggested in dev blog, to power your force field or whatever it is called.

I bet power would work like empyrion galactic survival. You would need a generator and power source like fuel, but it automatically connects to the entire ship and or base.

I bet power would work like empyrion galactic survival. You would need a generator and power source like fuel, but it automatically connects to the entire ship and or base.

Huh! Just Imagine having to wire everything up in a dreadnought. NOPE!

Huh! Just Imagine having to wire everything up in a dreadnought. NOPE!

well, you are building a dreadnought anyway... and I imagine it to be straightforward if you do it methodically

• 1 month later...

Anyone have recent thoughts about this? I personally think that only things in very close proximity (maybe 1m) should have a wireless power connection, and everything else should have to be wired together if they are not near a power source.

Same thing goes for fuel for engines.  I'd like to see even a Lua-esque ghost connection tube that connects a power relay to an element

While wiring up a huge ship might create many jobs for engineers (or rather electricians at that point), it also makes ships insanely more vulnerable. Because now you don't only have to protect your modules, but also every inch of wiring and fuel tubes to keep this shit running. Plus wire repairs on the run might be a bit complicated... I dunno, I'm split on this.

4 hours ago, SimonVolcanov said:

While wiring up a huge ship might create many jobs for engineers (or rather electricians at that point), it also makes ships insanely more vulnerable. Because now you don't only have to protect your modules, but also every inch of wiring and fuel tubes to keep this shit running. Plus wire repairs on the run might be a bit complicated... I dunno, I'm split on this.

I think that should be part of the calculation of designing, manning, and using large ships.  There could probably be a way to make simplistic repairs, but, and this is assuming that wires and/or fuel lines are a feature, you should not be able to run a fuel line on the outside of your ship and not have it shot at and blown up immediately.  It should be a calculation of, "I can put my fuel next to my engines and have virtually no transfer tubes needed, OR I can place it on the other end of my ship, but have a vulnerable fuel line running the length of it which would become dysfunctional if it ruptures".

It doesn't necessarily need to be on the extra end of everything meticulously connected, but I shouldn't be able to stash all the power and fuel in the deep heart of my ship (thinking of a larger one with this example), with it magically connected to the engines and critical systems on the exterior of the ship.  Mind you, I'm sure that's how the Alpha will play out, but I'm thinking long term.

Decently sure they said their would be power lines and such. The main thing you have to remember is redundancy and people using it. It would make ships more complicated to wire up but less likely for something like that to take them out. You also have players that can do repairs running around most likely and you would have to prioritize those repairs so if your guns and engines both go down due to different breaks in the power supply and both would need the full attention of your engineers to properly fix then you have a damage control choice to make. repair the guns and make yourself basically a sitting duck with a little firepower or the engines and try to stay alive until the other repairs at least have some spit and duct tape so you won't fall apart and could maybe get a shot of two off.

Sounds like an interesting dynamic but how would you find the location of the damaged section?  It wouldn't always be clear where exactly the power is being interrupted. 

It's the same as air mechanics, with no real size limit plugging the problem becomes a fine line between fun and tedious. 

I like the idea though. 

Perhaps locating the problem could be done with logic gates? Then some script to send back a state message? 

6 hours ago, Falstaf said:

Sounds like an interesting dynamic but how would you find the location of the damaged section?  It wouldn't always be clear where exactly the power is being interrupted. 

It's the same as air mechanics, with no real size limit plugging the problem becomes a fine line between fun and tedious. 

I like the idea though. 

Perhaps locating the problem could be done with logic gates? Then some script to send back a state message? 

Yea I would think you could script something to find where the problem was