rockets

Slaxx

will it be possible to make rockets? i wanna fire ICBM-like rockets at invading space fleets <3

It has been said that drones wont be possible. A pilot will always be needed.

I hope however that this is just for having a ship run itself. I hope at least dumbfire missiles like this are possible and ideally ICBM type guided missiles.

It has been said that drones wont be possible. A pilot will always be needed.

I hope however that this is just for having a ship run itself. I hope at least dumbfire missiles like this are possible and ideally ICBM type guided missiles.

Drones manually piloted are likely going to be added at some point. Only automated drones won't be possible. 

will it be possible to make rockets? i wanna fire ICBM-like rockets at invading space fleets <3

You can build what you want, rockets included (no collision damage though)

I would also like to be able to make rockets and/or missiles, but with out automation or collision damage I don't think this will be very feasible. Perhaps it could be one of the future expansions: the weapons pack. It could add thinks like being able to build custom missiles and bombs and launch them from bases and ships.

JC said there would be missiles in voice with us when the round tables were a thing. Althoguh i think he was confused by my vague question in the sense of vehichle impacts as a form of missile.

98% sure there will be ballistic missile weapons akin to lasers, railguns, and projectiles

JC said there would be missiles in voice with us when the round tables were a thing. Althoguh i think he was confused by my vague question in the sense of vehichle impacts as a form of missile.

98% sure there will be ballistic missile weapons akin to lasers, railguns, and projectiles

Awesome

If you're talking about Surface-to-Space missiles that we could fire at ships, then whether or not they're implemented would depend on the existence of Space-to-Surface weapons you could mount on ships. You can't have one without the other because then one side or the other is at a serious disadvantage.

So, with that in mind, I'm going to guess that we won't see either of those things in the game for one big reason: gameplay imbalance. JC has said on multiple occasions that he doesn't want there to be any aspect of the game where a player would be powerless to stop something from happening to them, and either way this feature is one of them. If you can shoot missiles from the ground at ships in space, then ships would need to be able to shoot back, or you have a major force imbalance. But if ships can bombard planets then they could also harass people just walking around mining, or smaller bases who can't afford ICBMs yet. In both cases those people would be unable to defend themselves, and that's not something any of us want. 

So, no, I don't think we'll be able to build missile launchers that can shoot space ships... or at least I hope not because then planet fortifications would be more than a little OP. Imagine if you spent hours building a nice space station, and then some guy puts an ICBM launcher on the planet and there's nothing you can do about it short of a full-scale assault on his TCU.

That being said, I'm sure you could build a ton of small, cheap, disposable ships with high DPS and suicide them in waves at the enemy fleet, in much the same way missiles would work :)

This is really nice. I thought they may won't do missiles because of more collision detection that would result from them (Missiles being Projectiles).

If NQ decides to add a "Self Destruct" or "Explosives" component for us to put on constructs, a missile could just be a very bare-bones low-cost ship that you fly into something and have it explode when it hits.

It doesn't seem like it would be very efficient to do that though XD

As for surface to space missiles not being able to be defended against, we can simply have CIWS systems that automatically intercept incoming projectiles. While they are techinically automated weapons, they would be unable to be used for offensive purposes. Also, you don't need an ICBM to shoot something into space. 

250px-ASAT_missile_launch.jpgThe picture is an F-15 launching an ASM-135 ASAT weapon. Not that huge, huh? 

Also, to balance ICBMs and ASATs, we can just have them make small-ish holes, and make space-to-ground weapons also make only small-ish holes and target constructs only. 

No don't get confused. I'm not talking about people creating a voxel morphed object that looks like a missile that they then fill with propellant and attempt to guide in some way.

I'm talking about pre-capsulated missile weaponry that we can mount to vehicles or buildings, like the laser gun turret, but for missiles / rockets. There's no chance they're going to make legitimate rocketry because they have no intention of implementing complex physical impacts.

You wouldn't want physics based rocketry and collisions anyways, its not meant to be a rocket physics sim. it would detract from trying to enjoy the make believe world of dual universe with complex science that only a handful would understand. The servers would have to calculate the projectiles physics in real time for thousands of people per cluster. That could be tens of thousands of bullets rockets lasers etc..  Its not guaranteed there will be missile weapons, but there is a decent enough chance with the parodies the game has to eve online and that missiles are an advanced weapon just like lasers and railguns.

When I'm talking missiles I mean missiles just like eve online, its a damage calculation with a fake projectile visual effect. all the other weapons will work exactly the same way, and its beautiful 

As for surface to space missiles not being able to be defended against, we can simply have CIWS systems that automatically intercept incoming projectiles. While they are techinically automated weapons, they would be unable to be used for offensive purposes. Also, you don't need an ICBM to shoot something into space. 

250px-ASAT_missile_launch.jpgThe picture is an F-15 launching an ASM-135 ASAT weapon. Not that huge, huh? 

Also, to balance ICBMs and ASATs, we can just have them make small-ish holes, and make space-to-ground weapons also make only small-ish holes and target constructs only. 

So, what's the height and speed of that plane? Assuming it's anywhere above ground level, and it's moving at any speed above 0 mph, then it's using far, far, far less energy to get into space than any ground-based missile system. Regardless, OP mentioned ICBMs, and I was responding to that particular idea. 

Still, your "small-ish holes" argument doesn't hold water because, regardless of the size of the hole, some people can and will sit there for hours till they've reduced an entire base to nothing. Furthermore, the point isn't really the extent of the damage, but the fact that it involves one player impacting another player's game in a way they can't protect against. 

Again, I think space-to-ground and ground-to-space weapons would be really cool... but unfortunately it's just not a good idea.