Rogue planets as bases?

littlewolf120

Rogue planets, the ones that aren't in a system and constantly moving throughout the universe?

Is it possible to have such at all? a planet without life, a good mining outpost because it's never in the same spot? we always see planets around a sun... why can't we just have a flying damn planet / asteroid?

I do imagine moving planets would be a "little" out of the realm of possibility. You do realize the computing resources required to calculate a voxel based moving object the size of a asteroid, let alone a planet. 

In my humble opinion - I just do not see it happening. 

well we know that the planets wont actually be able to move nor will we be able to make them move. so it wont be possible to do exactly what you want in the op. however there may be moons or planets similar to pluto (i know its not a planet anymore) that are on the outskirts of a system that people my not frequent.

I don't think anything technically prevents rogue planets.

I hope they exist, they'll be good for military bases and extra resources.

Also, welcome to the forums littlewolf120. And greetings Malscythe. I agree, might be a little dangerous flying around a massive dark planet. bring a flashlight. Ill bring 2 bcuz shadows r scary.

I don't think anything technically prevents rogue planets.

I hope they exist, they'll be good for military bases and extra resources.

Also, welcome to the forums littlewolf120. And greetings Malscythe. I agree, might be a little dangerous flying around a massive dark planet. bring a flashlight. Ill bring 2 bcuz shadows r scary.

Dark worlds are always fun Neo. Make exellent places to dump war criminals and political prisoners and forget that they ever existed. 

I was under the impression that the devs had intended for planets to orbit around their stars. If that's the case, then why shouldn't rogue planets be able to move freely?

Heck.. and I just gave away being scared of the dark. Now yall are gonna nab me and hotdrop me onto a dark planetoid

It might be possible, I dont know - if we know - if they know, theyre gonna do it yet.

Heck.. and I just gave away being scared of the dark. Now yall are gonna nab me and hotdrop me onto a dark planetoid

It might be possible, I dont know - if we know - if they know, theyre gonna do it yet.

As I mentioned in my above post - It would require a huge amount of computing power to process a moving voxel sized object the size of an asteroid let alone a full planet. 

Could be interesting. Don't think they will move around though because of the limitations of voxels.

They would be out in the void and extremely hard to find due to them not being next to a star. Depending on how large the space between systems is, they might be impossible to find without some sort of tech that could detect their presence. 

And if you did manage to find one, it would be an incredibly valuable asset because of how hard to find it would be.

The downside of setting up a base would be low starlight and therefore energy sources can only come from resource extraction

Could be interesting. Don't think they will move around though because of the limitations of voxels.

They would be out in the void and extremely hard to find due to them not being next to a star. Depending on how large the space between systems is, they might be impossible to find without some sort of tech that could detect their presence. 

And if you did manage to find one, it would be an incredibly valuable asset because of how hard to find it would be.

The downside of setting up a base would be low starlight and therefore energy sources can only come from resource extraction

Methinks they wouldn't be terribly difficult to find; just saturate an area with radio waves and wait till something big bounces back

I agree it will take more resources to calculate it.

Im sorry I dont remember where, I think they said they would see if it was possible or not. Just like flowing water will be localized now.

My bets are with no, they arent gonna move around. however I do wonder if planets will spin on their axis to simulate day night cycles. but that doesnt have much to do with the dark planets.

Yes, perhaps with LUA and radar modules/elements this can be done Halo

Methinks they wouldn't be terribly difficult to find; just saturate an area with radio waves and wait till something big bounces back

Good point. In general, there should be a progressively researched tech (not available in the early game) that helps you detect celestial bodies/ships.

I'm not sure if the idea of rouge planets is a good idea or not as it becomes a very big wild card which both creates many new possibilities as well as potential issues. However perhaps the effect could still be achieved by simply moving the planet as a whole once a day a random distance, and direction in space, thereby eliminating the heavy calculation burden that constant movement would present. Of course said movement would have to take place during some sort of scheduled maintenance period (not sure if the shard system even requires downtime) in order to prevent the phenomenon of planets randomly disappearing in front of players.

Thoughts?

I agree it will take more resources to calculate it.

Im sorry I dont remember where, I think they said they would see if it was possible or not. Just like flowing water will be localized now.

My bets are with no, they arent gonna move around. however I do wonder if planets will spin on their axis to simulate day night cycles. but that doesnt have much to do with the dark planets.

Yes, perhaps with LUA and radar modules/elements this can be done Halo

Odds are, and I will bet they will do this, to emulate day night cycle they will rotate the sun around the skybox. Same effect but far less resources required to pull it off. 

Yes that may be.

I could be inferring it wrong, from the tech demo our dear JC said they had the planets moved in closer to prove they werent just fancy sky box images. I guess I was thinking maybe he meant no sky box at all.

I probably just mis-interpreted it

So we don't know yet how solar systems will look like? I hoped there will be suns as physical objects, constant points in universe, reachable. Since I'm into SE I realize how demanding such universe would be if it comes to hardware.

So we don't know yet how solar systems will look like? I hoped there will be suns as physical objects, constant points in universe, reachable. Since I'm into SE I realize how demanding such universe would be if it comes to hardware.

Stars will definitely be physical objects with physical locations. They won't be voxels because lets be honest what would be the point. 

As of now I assume this applies to planets as well. Each planet is arranged around the star at static location. Maybe later they have orbits/axial spin but that much I don't know.

Actually... in ANY game... and as stated in star trek movie itself... it's not the ship that moves but space itself...

You never need to move a planet... you just have to make the calculation assume it's moving and report a position assumed at the time... the rest can be simulated based on current position to other objects in this assumed area of space... as such... everything can actually be still and even just out of sight of each other yet still have the client side flight time of years between with assumed areas of space generating such journey...