Languages translate as the first game in the world..

Ares Splinter

Is it possible to use a form of Google translate we have discussed it a lot back and forth that people are having trouble talking across countries

I suggest using I am of guerrilla translate so people can choose a language they can translate ...

It can also attract a lot of players who would normally never have entered the game because they can not speak English or read it ..

It's possible it's not 100% perfectly translated that way but it's better than not having any translation for those who need to understand it.

Just look at a country like Denmark, we did not learn english all in school, we would be shut out because there is never anything translated into Danish.

Hope you will be the first to take that idea for you in the world it has not happened before in a game you try with a tranlater .....

Well to me there is a very simple solution to that: just make your own org in your language. Nothing has to be english there. People would only need to learn the interface and the game's descriptions - which is a doable job with Google translate and a little bit of thinking.

If you want to play in a Danish org - be our guest and please do so. Organize yourself and get it going.

But don't expect others to speak your language or translate something for you.

If someone can't read the forum...well even smartphones can translate nowadays. So I really don't see an issue here

The issue would be that everyone (or at least 90%) would be speaking English so you would be switching back and forth between 2 different languages constantly, and if you have input on the GUI and receive answers in different languages then what you can speak you will have to translate them back and forth too.

The Google translate idea is cool though, but never normally that accurate, especially with eastern languages unfortunately

Like it has been said, automatic translation is probably enough to understand the news. Excepting maybe for dev diaries and video stuff.

Even so, youtube scripts allow to get subtitles from vocal. It requires a little work, nevertheless.

Concerning french for instance, I was willing to allow more french speakers to understand the project. So I spoke to the Community Managers about it and we agreed to collaborate to get french subtitles for Dev Diaries.

It remains the social part, because english is the official language on DU forums. NQ said they planned to open sections for others languages in the future, that's all which is known. Things will probably move faster for beta or release.

The game is still in its early production stages, it's not necessarily the best moment to mass-advertise the game.

Well, I do see the point of having a google translate-ish solution in the game. I also see another possibility here. The fact is, that you can hire translators in-game to actually do the translation. It sounds like a hassle, but it makes sense. 

If you want a free solution, you can use google translate. If you want a good solution, you get a paid translator. Now obviously hiring one in real life doesn't take U2, but rather takes real money. During the actual game, there is a possibility for such people who understand two languages to use their skill to make U2. This is a great idea although limited in how many people usually speak two languages(less than a majority in the US; also most speak English and a common language like Spanish or French). 

This isn't a new idea and I'm almost certain someone has come up with a scheme to take advantage of it. This is definitely a solution that can be used by organizations who want to communicate to other groups effectively.

Die Idee in seiner Muttersprache sich mit allen Spielern auszutauschen finde ich großartig!

So könnte dieser Text unter einem "Versteckknopf" mit der Bezeichnug [Orginal] liegen und der automatisch übersetzte Text darunter mit der Bemerkung [Googletranslate] angezeigt werten. Die vom Spieler im Setup ausgewählte Sprache dient als Vorgabe.

Damit hat der Leser bei missverständlicher Übersetzung die Möglichkeit das Orginal zu überprüfen.

Hätte ich diesen Text in englisch geschieben, würde ihn wahrscheinlich keiner verstehen!

So muß ich alle Texte hier erstmal von Google übersetzen lassen.

Die Waldfee

The problem with human translators is that the amount of info coming in can be HUGE like when in a major battle.

Well that's why you get good translators. Although I'm not referring to a battle standpoint in this. A battle where translation is needed and such, along with battles themselves, are not in the majority of how we spend our time.

The one thing that is important to remember when working with this game and its mechanics is to think of how to make something sustainable. When negotiating, writing documents, and broadcasting message, you will be able to translate them into common tongues. Covering English, Spanish, French, and a couple others will cover a majority of people. Just simply converting a legal-esk document in-game to explain why this organization isn't attacking this other organization is important. Something that a machine translator doesn't do too well on.

As for the battles, which multilingual battles will not be common, there is a simple solution. If one side is perhaps gathered with another side that speaks a different language, use a simple bridge system. Leave someone to orchestrate the battle in each tongue, and create a bridge by either making the head of the battle bilingual, or make someone bridge the information. Separate the two, but make sure they have a line of communication. Also making things visually based should help.

Well, ideally, we would open up the game to be community translated where NQ gives us all the text for all the UI upfront and community members translate it and rate each others translations, so you end up with at least 50 languages that way easy for free, minus the time it takes to set that up.

As for in game between people, that doesn't seem like it will be much a problem, major orgs will have their own translators. I would like to see an in game browser though that'd be nice for using translation software in game as well as many other things. I don't think it is necessary to implement google translate into the game itself.

Well, ideally, we would open up the game to be community translated where NQ gives us all the text for all the UI upfront and community members translate it and rate each others translations, so you end up with at least 50 languages that way easy for free, minus the time it takes to set that up.

As for in game between people, that doesn't seem like it will be much a problem, major orgs will have their own translators. I would like to see an in game browser though that'd be nice for using translation software in game as well as many other things. I don't think it is necessary to implement google translate into the game itself.

Yep. Very true. As well, for the smaller organizations in the game, translators could be hired. Probably for U2. Although I hope it's U2 that they try and make instead of actual currency. That is one thing I should point out.

Translators who are working in the actual game should only ask for U2, and not for actual currency. Gaining another language is a skill that is developed and can be used for profit, personal use, etc. So using it in the game to put yourself into a better position is a good idea. Using it though for profit outside of the game while providing an in-game service is just shady.

making a text based file in the game folder with all the texts of the game is a nice way to make the game translateable. everyone can edit and share it, and the best even publlished with the game itself in the future...

making a text based file in the game folder with all the texts of the game is a nice way to make the game translateable. everyone can edit and share it, and the best even publlished with the game itself in the future...

It'd also be a great way for some people to make some great parodies 

The one thing that is important to remember when working with this game and its mechanics is to think of how to make something sustainable. When negotiating, writing documents, and broadcasting message, you will be able to translate them into common tongues. Covering English, Spanish, French, and a couple others will cover a majority of people. Just simply converting a legal-esk document in-game to explain why this organization isn't attacking this other organization is important. Something that a machine translator doesn't do too well on.

From my experience, finding several languages in the same guild is quite rare, and even when it's the case, a tongue is dominant.

Why? probably because of cultural bonds, stereotypes and practical concerns.

Even automated translations are not always enough efficient. I mean, coordinate a group is, in itself, a hard challenge. So, in an activity where we have to make decisions and adapt fastly, a little misunderstanding can break all the process. In a battle, it means death...

Nevertheless, in a given org, why do not consider multilingual on a fleet or squad level? It could bring some diversity and new practices. At least for the trade fleet.

Anyway, for practical issues, it's probably better to set an official tongue up.

From my experience, finding several languages in the same guild is quite rare, and even when it's the case, a tongue is dominant.

Why? probably because of cultural bonds, stereotypes and practical concerns.

Even automated translations are not always enough efficient. I mean, coordinate a group is, in itself, a hard challenge. So, in an activity where we have to make decisions and adapt fastly, a little misunderstanding can break all the process. In a battle, it means death...

Nevertheless, in a given org, why do not consider multilingual on a fleet or squad level? It could bring some diversity and new practices. At least for the trade fleet.

Anyway, for practical issues, it's probably better to set an official tongue up.

Well I get for practical issues an official tongue works. I assume you're talking on an organization basis and not a game basis by the way.

However I mean documents that might be made public, such as treaties, trade arrangements, and so on. If there is an organization who primarly speaks a different language(say Spanish) and wants to figure out what the trade requirements are for an organization that primarily speaks English, a translation into Spanish would help out greatly. It's just that simple stuff that makes lives on both ends so much easier.