Shockeray's Dual Universe Community Map 1.1.x

Shockeray

@Yuuyake

I would love to see the stuff that you have mentioned done. But using the methods that I have that have a large manual part to them makes anything fancy unreachable. Also the graphcommons site that I had been using doesn't support massive graphs like the DU one very well.

2019-06-28 - Top 500 Organizations

This is every organization with at least 3 members (or should be). Almost 7,000 nodes and 10,000 edges.

Still just an image. I don't have the current ability to make the data interactive unless you have Gephi and want the file.

Full Size Download (20480 x 20480 png): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KjwDCeBsAKUZ5uceLXGUPXCV5dfHWoY4

EDIT: The correct updated map link now! ^

preview:

t8E6ef9.jpg

Edited by Shockeray
fixing broken link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is really fantastic. The next step for you will be to incorporate it into an html page to be a little more interactive, with a search bar for example to make it easier for people to find themselves and particular orgs. It is also a bit of cluster in the middle, having it in the third dimension might loosen it up :) 

Since I can't make it load enough to read anything except "Terran Union", would you mind explaining the map a bit (how it works, what causes a particular org to be placed where, what criteria determines if a red line connects two points, and what all the brown dots are(I'm assuming they're small orgs affiliated with bigger ones))

52 minutes ago, Actimist said:

The next step for you will be to incorporate it into an html page to be a little more interactive, with a search bar for example to make it easier for people to find themselves and particular orgs. It is also a bit of cluster in the middle, having it in the third dimension might loosen it up :) 

I do agree. The old map was being supported on the free use website, graphcommons.com. It allowed a large deal of interaction, but the issue was that with every graph I created there were more users and the site has a node count maximum.

This image was generated on gephi, a free tool for displaying large graphs. The issue is that I don't know of any way to display a gephi graph interactively online, there are just so many nodes that any sites with graph hosting I have tried have all crashed or capped the number of nodes. If anyone knows of a method to display this graph easily and preferably free online (I have a website and domain if needed), that would be great.

I would love a 3D explorable/explodable version of the graph as well. Along with many other things that would be fun to see, such as organization specific colors and join/creation dates when viewing an individual node, or even the ability to tint users based on the time between when they made their account and joined their first organization.

43 minutes ago, __aes__ said:

Since I can't make it load enough to read anything except "Terran Union", would you mind explaining the map a bit (how it works, what causes a particular org to be placed where, what criteria determines if a red line connects two points, and what all the brown dots are(I'm assuming they're small orgs affiliated with bigger ones))

The locations are randomly arranged using "gravity" inside the program called gephi. This means that the dots (nodes) generally try to push away from each other but the lines (edges) pull them together. Therefore, the more edges connect several nodes, the more they will be pulled together.
Orange/brown nodes are users, purple nodes are organizations, red/orange edges are "members of", and blue/green edges are "legates of".

The big cluster of members in the middle of graph are mostly users that are in many organizations and therefore are pulled to the center.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/28/2020 at 8:27 AM, Anasasi said:

Would be interested on seeing an update as well +1 ❤️ u Shock 

Haha, thank you. I will try to get one out whenever they fix the community page. At the moment I can't do it the way that I was before so I'll have to completely rebuild my method.