Shockeray's Dual Universe Community Map 1.1.x

Shockeray

On 18/04/2018 at 6:18 PM, Shockeray said:

-snip-

im interested to see what the map looks like now, a few big factions have shown up between the date of the last update... :o

There are a lot of new people. I am now hitting the hosting website's max nodes with only organizations with 11+ members.

The Blue Moon ᵀᵃᵛᵉʳⁿ is now Haven

Terran Union just passed 800 members, Empire just passed 300, and Soul Nebula just passed 200.

Shockeray's Dual Universe Community Map 1.2.4 06-05-18 (<-- click here for interactive map)

Image:
nxduzmj.jpg

17 minutes ago, TheGreatPigeon said:

So I'd need 11+ people to show up on the map?

4 hours ago, Shockeray said:

only organizations with 11+ members.

More than likely, yes. The map would be absolutely cratered with one man orgs otherwise.

11 hours ago, DarkHorizon said:

More than likely, yes. The map would be absolutely cratered with one man orgs otherwise.

I would love to be able to have all organizations with at least 2 members on the map like my original ones had, but unfortunately the hosting site only allows a maximum of 5000 nodes and you can't upload more than about 4000 connections at once or it bugs out. I have to upload this map's 5700 connections in two sections. Ultimately the site is made for small visual information node diagrams and so large data nodemaps are slow and hard to manage. I want to use another site that caters more towards what I am trying to do but so far I haven't found one.

Just out of curiosity:

So given the size or rather technical limitations, you apply a restriction and only visualize data pertaining organizations with X+ members.

Can it be done in reverse to only show or map out groups and connections with organizations that have X- members, e.g. 11 or less, but not more? If so, you could consider having a second version. Not that it would be as potentially interesting as the big one, but data is data.

1 minute ago, Warden said:

Just out of curiosity:

So given the size or rather technical limitations, you apply a restriction and only visualize data pertaining organizations with X+ members.

Can it be done in reverse to only show or map out groups and connections with organizations that have X- members, e.g. 11 or less, but not more? If so, you could consider having a second version. Not that it would be as potentially interesting as the big one, but data is data.

I have done that several times and it would probably be worth getting the data whether or not I put it into a map just for posterity sake, but it's not near as interesting as the majority of the small organizations are not interconnected. Although that is going to be less and less the case as larger organizations are pushed out of this map.

On 6/8/2018 at 4:04 AM, mefsh said:

Would it be possible to load in the nodes at a fixed rate so It doesn't freeze? Or is that being caused by something else?

You would have to contact the hosting company. There are much more efficient ways to display this large a data set without lag but it isn't really what their site is designed for. Unfortunately I just don't have the means to build my own.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:36 AM, Shockeray said:

You would have to contact the hosting company. There are much more efficient ways to display this large a data set without lag but it isn't really what their site is designed for. Unfortunately I just don't have the means to build my own.

Oh I was under the impression you coded this. My bad.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Primarch said:

how often do you make these?

Generally about once a month. It takes a lot of manual labor to complete them because of little quirks.

3 hours ago, Shockeray said:

Generally about once a month. It takes a lot of manual labor to complete them because of little quirks.

fair enough, yeah i but its very tedious. I know our org has gained over 50 since the last one and then some left so i cant imagine doing it for every faction. You definitely do everyone a service with these

• 6 months later...

The base PNG export where you can read everything is about 15Mb. But I could make it a lot bigger. Honestly it's a really inefficient method of transporting the data. But I don't want to require everyone to have a third party program installed to even view the graph.

• 2 months later...

That's... Wonderfull !

Shockeray, you rock ! We should create a cult in your name !

For my information, how do you get those informations ? You use NK organizations page to extracts informations on organizations and members?

With this software, is that possible to add information, as the kind of organisation they are ? Like a color legend for mercenaries, pirates, traders, designers...

And is it possible to have a second, lighter version, with the "main ones", of over 50 members ?