Optional Permadeath

yamamushi

Clearly this won't appeal to 99% of the community, however...

I would like to have the ability to play a character under permadeath conditions.

Since this is not likely going to be an option, I'm wondering what will happen to a players name and contacts if they delete their character.

Obviously recreating a new character under the same name wouldn't restore a local contacts list, but would other people see the name pop up on their own contacts lists? 

I am wondering if there will be a way to prevent a name from being reused after a character is deleted. 

I suppose that question plays into my idea for an optional permadeath mechanic. I'd like to be able to play a character that only lives once, and in a way that will prevent me from ever being able to play that character again, or someone else pretending they are me if i delete said character. 

I uhh..

I guess you could just do it yourself. Play until you die, then return to character select and delete character.

But, I guess I just don't understand, you would be giving up days, months or years of skill training and start over with nothing

I uhh..

I guess you could just do it yourself. Play until you die, then return to character select and delete character.

But, I guess I just don't understand, you would be giving up days, months or years of skill training and start over with nothing

Agreed, it does seem kind of futile, but then again there are those that like life on the edge as well. 

I uhh..

its not unheard of for hardcore rules to be applied to a game where there isnt a hardcore option.....i mean we COULD do it just like this above.

If there is enough support i suppose the devs could implement it....i just dont know why one would want to in this game. but to each their own lol

I mean, Im open to any idea, Im not trying to shoot it down.

We would really just need to find ways for it to co exist.

Like retaining your bank account and skill, but maybe losing your assets and a large chunk of skill training?

I mean, Im open to any idea, Im not trying to shoot it down.

We would really just need to find ways for it to co exist.

Like retaining your bank account and skill, but maybe losing your assets and a large chunk of skill training?

i think the way it works in most hardcore games is once you die it locks you out of that particular character

Ya that is just a stupid idea in my opinion..

Care to explain why giving someone the option is a "stupid idea"? 

Considering that it wouldn't be forced on anyone and is completely up to the player's choice. 

What it all boils down to is a mechanism to prevent someone from using the name of a character that has been deleted.

How I choose to play is none of your business. 

I can't tell if you are wanting names to be locked so you cant re-use them or you want them to be reserved for your account.

In most games you have a grace period to re-use a name, I think it could be easily applied to a perma death system.

I think a hardcore but tempered approach would work best. Perma death in DayZ is kind of one thing, just imagine it in EvE even if you were ok with it other players might not want you, and the risk would just be so high. The game design will probably revolve around death being a relatively trivial occurance.

Be you getitng jumped by pirates, falling down a cavern, or any other non consensual danger

Perhaps not fully deleting your character, but automatically returning you to the character creator and spawning you at the arkship. But retaining some portion of skills and bank account?

Actually, I think I'm done with the forums for a long while. It seems like every other topic just turns toxic now. It used to be not more than 2 months ago that one could come here with ideas and people would talk about them openly and talk about how cool things would be for the game. Now I can't escape creating a new topic where someone with a 4 day old account is going to call me stupid. 

When did this place attract so many negative people? I can't even escape it in Discord, neither on the public one nor my own (or rather, now former) Alliance's discord without my ideas being called "Shit". 

I used to feel like I had some value to add here to the forums, I felt like a lot of people here did. 

Maybe things will get better in the future, but now I feel it's just not the open-to-ideas community I thought it once was. 

Within the quantum immortality theory the devs are going by, (more info here) all players have essentially achieved immortality due to the advanced tech of Resurrection Nodes. If this is possible then it also makes sense that you could go to an alternate universe where the person bearing your former name and body is dead, but your consciousness exists in a new body.

Here's how I'd imagine working optional perma-death in. After you die you are prompted with these options:

>Resurrect at nearest RN

>Resurrect at Arkship RN

>Awaken as new Arkship pioneer (Permadeath)

So essentially, you can resurrect as a new player, but as long as you are that new player, your old character is dead and will stay dead. (making their name unusable)

Just a thought, wouldn't hurt anything and would be a good mechanic if a player simply wants to get a fresh start.

Permanent death would perfectly work in other universe where all hardcore players would meet. Like we had in Diablo. Immortals shouldn't meet mortal ones, reason is obvious and I think it doesn't need explanation. I'll just say that some people instead of admiring bravery would want to destroy it for known only for them reason. People are so inconsistent. Anyway I'd like to play hardcore mode in hardcore universe with other hardcore players. Althou I'd like to be able to reuse name - not because of lack of imagination, cause of habit.

Actually, I think I'm done with the forums for a long while. It seems like every other topic just turns toxic now. It used to be not more than 2 months ago that one could come here with ideas and people would talk about them openly and talk about how cool things would be for the game. Now I can't escape creating a new topic where someone with a 4 day old account is going to call me stupid. 

When did this place attract so many negative people? I can't even escape it in Discord, neither on the public one nor my own (or rather, now former) Alliance's discord without my ideas being called "Shit". 

I used to feel like I had some value to add here to the forums, I felt like a lot of people here did. 

Maybe things will get better in the future, but now I feel it's just not the open-to-ideas community I thought it once was. 

we didnt call your ideas shit, you overreacted. We simply said why we think it is a bad idea 

I personally can't see an optional permadeath as game feature, which doesn't mean that it couldn't be fun to have it, simply because the amount of players that would use it wouldn't justify the effort that is needed to implement it, at least not in this point of the development, maybe later it could be added.

But i can see where you're coming from with your concern about the character names, maybe a possibility for it instead of permadeath, could be a one time payment of 5$ or so that would secure the name and bind it to your account. This would prevent the abuse of a great in game name and support the devs.

I would like to have the ability to play a character under permadeath conditions.

Since this is not likely going to be an option, I'm wondering what will happen to a players name and contacts if they delete their character.

Obviously recreating a new character under the same name wouldn't restore a local contacts list, but would other people see the name pop up on their own contacts lists? 

I am wondering if there will be a way to prevent a name from being reused after a character is deleted. 

I suppose that question plays into my idea for an optional permadeath mechanic. I'd like to be able to play a character that only lives once, and in a way that will prevent me from ever being able to play that character again, or someone else pretending they are me if i delete said character. 

"Contrary to popular opinion, I think this is an essential feature. Imagine what the poor server will be force to contend with in four to seven years' time, if people can't delete their character. Some players will get banned, others will get humiliated, organisations will fall and so on. Players will, time and time again, want to start over. I wonder whether the developers have discussed this possibility? Great idea."

I myself am not a fan of perma death when it comes to games larger than Magicite. While it is realistic, it's not meant to be in a game as massive as DU. While I can imagine good reasons behind having it as an option. By all means, add it in, however, make it optional. As stated above, I don't want to lose potentially years of work because I glitched through the airlock. 

Again, this is just a personal opinion.

I mean, I'm not against this option, but I suppose the character name is a concern. If there isn't a built in feature, it is as simple as deleting/recreating, but we all know that. 

I was wondering if NQ would be opening up more account options when Alpha/Beta looms closer, and what I mean by that is actually "reserving" a character name on the website. Allow people to reserve their stuff prior to launch, and keep the feature after. Not that difficult to do I would think.

interesting idea, and i see no reason not to allow people to have this option although i think i would avoid it myself.

although it may be easier to just reset a character back to new and allow a player to redo its appearance if they would like too, instead of just deleting it. if you want to roll a new name for your toon you could elect to delete the character and name at that point. this would allow the same function as permadeath but avoid the whole situation of people taking your name before you can reroll your character.

I'd like to be able to play a character that only lives once, and in a way that will prevent me from ever being able to play that character again, or someone else pretending they are me if i delete said character. 

In a very general sense, I think it is only acceptable if the implementation is an option that only deletes the char after a set time frame upon death, but not a good idea at all if the devs locks anything else and prevents others from using it, such as names. It will be pretty odd and players will complain if we can only have one "John Doe" in game.

But I would take caution, since it just may introduce new scams because char become "dead" and nonpunishable by in game means.

If you are able to maintain multiple character on a single account, an option for permadeath upon creating it could be easy.

You would be locked out of it, and create a new one. but what happens to your belongings TCUs etc ?

I dont see why NQ would implement this, since this may appeal to 0.01% of the players and require quite some time($$$) to think AND implement.

Within the quantum immortality theory the devs are going by, (more info here) all players have essentially achieved immortality due to the advanced tech of Resurrection Nodes. If this is possible then it also makes sense that you could go to an alternate universe where the person bearing your former name and body is dead, but your consciousness exists in a new body.

Here's how I'd imagine working optional perma-death in. After you die you are prompted with these options:

>Resurrect at nearest RN

>Resurrect at Arkship RN

>Awaken as new Arkship pioneer (Permadeath)

So essentially, you can resurrect as a new player, but as long as you are that new player, your old character is dead and will stay dead. (making their name unusable)

Just a thought, wouldn't hurt anything and would be a good mechanic if a player simply wants to get a fresh start.

Well, the middle option shouldn't exist. There's no choice about which RN you respawn at.

However, a good way to implement permadeath would be to have the Arkship RN require a recharge time just like all other RNs. So if you die when none of your RNs are charged it's permadeath. Really easy to avoid since the Arkship RN is in the safe area, so just wait around until at least one is recharged. I'm not sure this is hardcore enough for OP though.

Well, the middle option shouldn't exist. There's no choice about which RN you respawn at.

However, a good way to implement permadeath would be to have the Arkship RN require a recharge time just like all other RNs. So if you die when none of your RNs are charged it's permadeath. Really easy to avoid since the Arkship RN is in the safe area, so just wait around until at least one is recharged. I'm not sure this is hardcore enough for OP though.

Makes sense. However, with so many people dying, what is the point of having a recharge if when one person resurrects, what happens to everyone else? Do they just, die?

For my preferenced play-style I would definitely enjoy there being a perma-death feature to the game. Adds a certain realism to the game and creates a sense of high stakes whenever entering battle. However, for those who don't want to lose everything I think the ships and buildings that they create (except for those involved in the battle which can also be destroyed) should still be where the player had built them. So when you die everything you have on your body disappears, while those still in storage at other locations can be accessed by the player as a 'consciousnesses in a new body'. This way you can have a sense of permadeath while not losing all or the most important possessions you have worked hard to obtain.