Custom AI and how will they work?

steamiskey

Im curious about how the AI and Custom programs will works as i think i heard that they are going to be locally saved meaning you cant make a miner for well you offline this seems like a big down side.

so i was wondering if there would be a way to create in game computers or something along those lines that runs a (Custom)program in a loop every few seconds (note: these SHOULD cost a lot to make and larger ones could run much more much faster) 

on top of making mines and other such AI this would allow for automatic defenses.

if anyone has any info on if you can actually save programs to run well you are away pls do say

Yes and no. Automation of certain features is very possible in Dual Universe. The combination of Lua and Interactive Elements will make for very interesting possibilities. Lua scripts themselves will be files on your personal computer that you call in the game, and youll have to be near them to run them. So, yes to everything you said, except the examples.

Both mining and defenses cannot be automated. Weapons and turrets will either be completely inoperable or at least very inefficient without direct player input. And mining can only be done by hand, there are no drills. Both of these limitations are put in place to preserve the integrity of the game. Automated turrets would allow one man to control a battleship, and automated mining would have a negative effect on the mining industry, and thus the game as a whole.

How will you defend your land if you're offline and you don't have auto turrets?

Several ways:

1) Make sure no one can find it.

2) Find some friends or allies and use teamwork to keep each other's stuff safe for mutual benefit.

3) Build a territory unit.

Will there be people that do all three of those things and still lose all they have to their enemies? Sure, wouldn't be fun otherwise.

How will you defend your land if you're offline and you don't have auto turrets?

That is a fair question.

I'm not sure how it would work out with turrets specifically. Perhaps they could be triggered by a pressure plate instead of a LUA script automating it.

I will say that I'm still against automating too much because I think human interaction is more valuable and intersting.

Its like ATMLVE said, build next to friends or make sure you are well hidden.

They said that stationary constructs might get automated turrets with a serious drawback. So base defense is possible

For the other point the OP made: why do you want to mine while you're offline with an AI that you don't even control? That's just bad gameplay. This is a MMO and you should bebe socializing

I would like to see what kind of abilities are available with the DU lua library....

EDIT: tbh, how much people are needed to run a battleship isn't dependent on the size, it's dependent on the amount of subsystems that have to be operated manualy.

ATMLVE did a great job explaining the limits of LUA, but I'd like to offer some clarity about the intent of the system.

LUA scripting is designed to help you do things that would be very time-consuming or obnoxious to do manually, but that don't enhance the gameplay experience, like manually connecting things to control systems.

For example, default LUA scripts in the cockpit module automatically connect your flight controls to your engines, so you don't have to wire them all individually. We can expect the same thing from other types of control panels for factory units or markets. So you can build a factory or market warehouse, add a control panel, and the panel will automatically hook itself up to all the relevant objects, rather than you running around clicking buttons on a thousand different things.

As for LUA scripts you write yourself, here's a possible example. Assuming any of these elements are in the game, you could write a LUA script into an in-game computer screen that automatically connects the screen to any cameras attached to the structure you attach the screen to. That way, you can make a security camera system without having to run around your base connecting wires to all the cameras you had placed previously.

However, LUA scripts will NOT allow you to automate ANY type of gameplay. So, no automated mining, flying, shooting, scanning, building, or scripting. The LUA system is designed to make annoying things easier, not to play the game for you in any way.

Hope that helps.