True destruction

steamiskey

will there be a way to damage terrain from space? and if so will it be fully withing the rules to completely destroy planets?

although it would take a long time to create and would take a lot of power to function but will there ever be any weird way that you can completely destroy planets?

and if so how much trouble if any would you get in?

if there are no traditional guns that will fire that far could you have a ship fly into it and damage terrain and if it was going faster would it make a bigger hole?

on top of all that how would the servers handle such a large amount of destruction?

Guns and weapons in DU don't work the same as they do in most other games. How specifically weapons as a whole will function is not completely finalized, but if they will be able to hit ground targets (including the ground itself) from space is something that would be weapon-specific, so there's no way to know yet how feasible it is. We would need more information on the mechanics of weapons, as well as how far from a planet you can be before being able to load it's surface features.

And no, the complete destruction of an entire planet has been directly addressed as being impossible.

As for ships damaging terrain... That's still up in the air-ish. The developers have said that collision damage will not be in the game due to server stress, but a fair point is that air traffic and landing will be a complete mess when someone can impact anything they want at 1000 km/hr with no repurcussions. You asked how the servers would be able to handle all this stress... Well they wouldn't very well if people are launching death stars at planets with collision damage.

will there be a way to damage terrain from space?

This has not been finalized. I would lean towards 'maybe'.

and if so will it be fully withing the rules to completely destroy planets?

No.

although it would take a long time to create and would take a lot of power to function but will there ever be any weird way that you can completely destroy planets?

No.

For destroying a planet?  If it were possible (which it isn't, just have to clear that up), you would make quite a few people unhappy.  The people that lived there for one.  And those planet huggers.

if there are no traditional guns that will fire that far could you have a ship fly into it and damage terrain and if it was going faster would it make a bigger hole?

Collision damage is currently not planned for Dual Universe, not due to technical constraints but as an choice.  There are other threads that cover this in more detail and an Ask Me Anything that answers this exact question.

on top of all that how would the servers handle such a large amount of destruction?

Quite well, I would imagine. But there are other reasons why this will not be included.

will there be a way to damage terrain from space? and if so will it be fully withing the rules to completely destroy planets?

So basically like the Death Star from star wars? I think its over scaling what you actually meant since it destroys planets though.

Weapons in DU are not free fire, like in most space games. In DU, all weapons, even handguns, will only fire at targeted objects, like in EVE. So you can't just point your guns at something (like the ground) and fire.

As for targeting objects on the ground, we don't know yet. I think it would be an interesting mechanic, and I'd like to see it in the game, but I imagine there are multiple potential balance and gameplay issues with doing this.

As has been mentioned twice already, no planet destruction ever. JC has said this specifically, because it would be super imbalanced and would negatively impact the gameplay of too many people.

well thats gonna be annoying. well hopefully they add expensive world cannons or something that can help bomb enemy worlds at an extreme cost.

They're not going to do that (they stated that time and time again) because a player on that enemy planet can't do anything against it and he just dies incl. All his stuff. That's not fair nor it's good gameplay

That's not fair nor it's good gameplay

Exactly, I believe J.C. said that a player should always understand why something is happening to him or her.

You can stretch that statement quite a bit but death star weapons are of the table.

The death star made a cool movie but in gameplay it would be boring as hell, in my opinion.

They're not going to do that (they stated that time and time again) because a player on that enemy planet can't do anything against it and he just dies incl. All his stuff. That's not fair nor it's good gameplay

note: i agree a death star is op what about a smaller gun? one that can still be used to do alot of damage but will not completely destroy unsuspecting players 

with the design of how the game is said to be i dont see these weapons very fair but there still needs to be some weapons that can be fired from space and can effectively destroy a target in one hit (the target being 100-300m diameter circle) to combat the power of such a weapon you could make it over heat cost a tone to make and use alot of power along with firing some of the rear materials as bullets there has to be a balance to the weapon but if the plan is to have factions take over hole worlds after they make a jump gate then there has to be some heavy artillery to help with attacks and defense... also such a weapon should do 0 damage to a shield.

idk just an idea might be to op but you have to think that theirs going to be hole planets belonging to one faction once they get a star gate so how big would that be? and how many shots would that take to destroy? it would take ages even with lots of these great guns and that hole time they can run or fight back 

also if its still to op why not add a heat up time of like 30min wear it draws power (meaning your ship has less power for defense) 

note: i agree a death star is op what about a smaller gun? one that can still be used to do alot of damage but will not completely destroy unsuspecting players

with the design of how the game is said to be i dont see these weapons very fair but there still needs to be some weapons that can be fired from space and can effectively destroy a target in one hit (the target being 100-300m diameter circle) to combat the power of such a weapon you could make it over heat cost a tone to make and use alot of power along with firing some of the rear materials as bullets there has to be a balance to the weapon but if the plan is to have factions take over hole worlds after they make a jump gate then there has to be some heavy artillery to help with attacks and defense... also such a weapon should do 0 damage to a shield.

idk just an idea might be to op but you have to think that theirs going to be hole planets belonging to one faction once they get a star gate so how big would that be? and how many shots would that take to destroy? it would take ages even with lots of these great guns and that hole time they can run or fight back

also if its still to op why not add a heat up time of like 30min wear it draws power (meaning your ship has less power for defense)

Just imagine a big alliance rapecageing your org under your shield (which has a 48h kill timer). They just build 5 or 50 of those ships and can just instapop everything you bring up. That's just bad gameplay as DU is a socializing MMO. As such you need to find ppl to help you either defend or attack. I would prefer a game where tactics and coordinated teamplay are enforced instead of some lame and boring yolo-guns.

I don't think we see an org claiming a whole planet soon. That will take a lot of time and a lot of players. Heck, there aren't even enough players for such an undertaking backing the game, let alone on the forums.

Fact is:

-TCUs are expensive. the economy needs time to develop so until then, alliances/orgs won't have much territory at all

- there are 50000 tiles on alioth. Gl claiming even 1%

- there will always be other orgs and players on "your" planet because you can't patrol the whole planet, not even if there are 10.000 players in your org

Well, yeah, an org may not be able to have a whole planet in its control as in have claims laid over on all of it but may have INFLUENCE over the whole celestial body. 

I think having a MOAB/FOAB type weapon in game could be nice, it's a one-time use weapon, expensive to make, you need constant upkeep/have a shelf life(MOAB has one of 15 years), and difficult to move around, but has a large blast radius. 

Well, yeah, an org may not be able to have a whole planet in its control as in have claims laid over on all of it but may have INFLUENCE over the whole celestial body.

I think having a MOAB/FOAB type weapon in game could be nice, it's a one-time use weapon, expensive to make, you need constant upkeep/have a shelf life(MOAB has one of 15 years), and difficult to move around, but has a large blast radius.

Well every org, even with no TCU on that rock, can influence the planet.....

[...]

Collision damage is currently not planned for Dual Universe, not due to technical constraints but as an choice.  There are other threads that cover this in more detail and an Ask Me Anything that answers this exact question.
[...]

As far as I know Collision Damage is something that also isn't there because of the Stress it will take on the Server.

I thought JC said they wanted to have it, but for now it's only a Bumping Effect because of that (and because there are some Balance Problems).

I suspect that orgs will lay claim on land despite not having a TU on it. A TU means nothing if you can't back it up.

True but he argues that an org might have influence all over the place and I merely pointed out thatthe every org, regardless how small, can influence the planet. So this argument doesn't count against my point: we won't see a whole planet belonging to an org soon, if ever

The problem with "very powerful but very expensive" weapons (be it a ship, bomb, gun, etc) is that such weapons always grow out of control and become imbalanced, simply as a result of a growing economy. EVE's Titans and Supercarriers are the perfect examples. CCP has said that they only expected there to be 3-4 Titans ever. Today there's a couple thousand, and CCP has to dedicate far too many resources to balancing and re-balancing them, because when Titans are too strong alliances with 150  of them are unstoppable, and when they're too weak the alliances that poured trillions of ISK into building them scream that their investment has been wasted.

The same thing will happen in DU if NQ isn't careful. If you can make MOAB-like bombs that obliterate things from orbit, or massive spaceships with orbital artillery, it wont be long before the uber-rich and powerful of the server start using those things to screw with the little people, simply because they're bored and they know nobody can touch them. I played EVE for a couple years where couldn't go to Low Sec without having to worry about some idiot from PL hotdropping you with his 6 Supercarriers just because he was bored.

I can't even count the number of times I've been hotdropped on a gate, alone in my Battlecruiser, because the local PL guys were bored, and the cost of the fuel was a drop in the bucket to them. If you give people the option, they will do the same thing in DU, and believe me that really really sucks.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of sieging people from orbit is amazing... but no orbital weapons or super-spaceships, please and thank you. 

we won't see a whole planet belonging to an org soon, if ever

Oh no I agree.

I firmly believe that you have to actively go out to be in control of something. I don't see an org being in active control of a planet any time soon. TU or not.

Don't get me wrong, the idea of sieging people from orbit is amazing... but no orbital weapons or super-spaceships, please and thank you. 

I agree, the ability to destroy someone else's hundreds of hours of work in seconds with something that you bought with real money isn't going to make that many people happy.