Exporting Construct Models for 3D Printing

yamamushi

Thanks to @Sunrider for this idea - 

I think it would be really great, albeit probably not a very frequently used feature, to be able to export our constructs from the game in a format that allows us to easily convert them to the types necessary for 3D printing. 

Space Engineers offers this capability for custom ships: http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/3d-printing.html 

Granted, the way they store ship models probably makes it a bit easier to allow the clients to access them and export. 

Space Engineers game provides export in two different formats. The first format (.sbc) is a definition file and is used for printing Small Ships, second format (.obj, .png) is a standard 3D design file. Generally speaking these 3D design files are not 3D printable, they have to be “repaired” before we can print them on our Projet 4500 3D printer. Players are welcome to "repair" their files themselves and provide us ready to print files or we can repair these files for them for a fee.

My gut feeling tells me the process for doing an export of DU constructs will be a lot more complicated for users, as much of that will be stored server-side. I suppose we won't really know how feasible this is for us until Alpha, wherein we can see what kind of files are generated client-side and if it's possible to even use those files for this purpose.

What if Dual Universe started releasing toys/figurines. Just a thought.

Don't they technically do that already?

44d5850733a3808d90fff40885b42196.png

At least, that's how I interpreted the physical reward "Alpha Team Member Statue (male or female)" until now...

While we do get some physical rewards that lean that way, I think it would be very limiting for them to do that because there are only so many premade objects/elements they can sell.

I think people would be more eager to buy 3d prints of things they designed and built themselves, which isn't to say I wouldn't buy DU "toys/figurines", just that I'd also like to be able to print my own objects. 

Well that would be nice. But what cpuld they do? The ARK, native creatures and plants? Everything else is player built.

What he wants, and I think would be cool, is to export and print your personal constructs. That cool fighter you made or your personal battlecruiser that no ome else.

Sure DU may pull a popular ship or the first player stargate, but there will be millions of player constructs. You can expect hundreds if not thousands of designs to be popular amoungst alliances.

I like the Idea. Exporting your own made construct as a fbx file or something should be achievable for them - but maybe not on launch.

I guess this doesn't make sense on launch since for good looking and 'final' Creations we need some time anyways.

But if they do something like this, there have to be guidlines on what is printable and stable afterwards (I would guess you can make stuff ingame that would break instantly after printing it or during printing - for example really thin walls or pillars something).

Who said we can't make them fly?

Them beauties will soar!

But yeah this would be a cool idea, I've always wanted a 3d printer so this would spur me on to get one

Who said we can't make them fly?

Them beauties will soar!

But yeah this would be a cool idea, I've always wanted a 3d printer so this would spur me on to get one

If you can develop a small jet engine or make a fan strong enough to make them float, go ahead.

This would be a really cool idea. And I think it might not be as niche as you suspect. Considering DU is designed to be a long term game, it makes sense to think about the future and 3D Printers are only going to get more widespread as time passes. I'd love to print out models

This would be a really cool idea. And I think it might not be as niche as you suspect. Considering DU is designed to be a long term game, it makes sense to think about the future and 3D Printers are only going to get more widespread as time passes. I'd love to print out models

Look at eve as an example. With the availability of 3d printing increasing more and more players are printing ship models. And those arent even their own personal designs