Nomadic Lifestyle

Tharanatos

Will it be possible for players to live a completely nomadic lifestyle in the game? I've started an organization called the Stellar Nomads that's built around the idea but I'm still looking for potential problems and solutions.

Sure it is possible but how smooth it goes depends on the established infrastructure.

If trading is something you enjoy you could definitely live like a nomad moving between settlements. Pick up minerals in one city and sell it in the next.

It all depends on your expectations of being a nomad.

There are a couple of groups already looking to make a nomadic living. Most notable is the Blue Moon crew, which I am not affiliated with in any way but I like the idea.

https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/blue-moon-crew

Nomadic lifestyles certainly have an appeal, but be warned that advertised loners become targets.

To have a whole org based on completely nomadic lifestyles, you would need a LOT of resources.

Plus you would have to have a huge mother-ship for everyone to live in. 

Kinda like this

5500-eve-halo-unsc-infinity-mothership.j

I don't think this will be as much of a problem as some people think. Given that people don't need food, I don't see a huge resource requirement. The only real input demand would be fuel for your mothership, so you'd need to either A) carry a metric butt-load of fuel, or B) have a means of manufacturing it on-board.

Option B is probably your best bet, depending on the size and complexity of that process. Once that's done, you could theoretically live on your own forever, so long as no one comes along and blows you up. 

I guess it should be possible without too much struggle.

But if you want to be really productive as a nomadic Organization you should look into big constructs and engines as fast as possible I guess. And Shield Generators.

Regarding respawning. I remember JC saying that they want there to be portable Respawn Pods you can put in your Construct. But they will be expensive (Resources).

The most important requirement for a nomadic lifestyle is a ship that has enough generators/reactors so it can fuel a resurrection node in a reasonable matter of time (respawning takes a lot of energy, and waiting days for a respawn is really frustrating). The advantage of permanent planetary bases is that you can use almost all of the generated power for the res. nodes, while a ship has to power engines, shields, nav systems etc. as well. The big advantage of the nomadic lifestyle is the improved mobility.

Everyone should choose for themselves if they want to have a nomadic lifestyle. (I personally like it, but it's not doable with my org. I will have my own, mostly independent, exploration ship tho.)

[...]

Everyone should choose for themselves if they want to have a nomadic lifestyle. (I personally like it, but it's not doable with my org. I will have my own, mostly independent, exploration ship tho.)

I guess being more solo nomadic is my choice, too. The smaller the Nomadic Group (Solo as being the smallest), the easier it will be being nomadic I would predict.