im not a pro eve player so this topic is invalid

Lights

so i was recently thinking, go figure!

i wonder what is the limit of each territory is altitude wise. obviously you cant claim a territory and have it reach infinitely up, and theres been talks about not having it infinitely down, so that players can build underneath your territory. and that made me think, couldnt you in that case incase someone, or use someone elses teritories to protect your own? let me explain. lets say you wish to encase someone, you would claim the territories around then, and build a "cage" around it to make trump proud, and then make a roof between your territories over the enemies territory past the limit of their territory build space, because obviously, the territory cant go all the way up, so whats to stop you from doing that? since there hasnt been talk from the devs about structural integrity.

and if we can build below the teritories, whats to stop someone from making a base beneath you so that they cant be attacked from above due to your territory shield?

questions questions.

and if you build in your territory and expand a building a little it into an unclaimed territory and someone claims it, would part of your building become theirs?

and if you build in your territory and expand a building a little it into an unclaimed territory and someone claims it, would part of your building become theirs?

Yeah. That's bad planning on your part.

Also, territories are gonna be hexagons, (apart from a few triangles - illuminate confirmed) and there is a confirmed limit of how far you can dig down (10? 20? Something below 30. Right?) and I believe there is a small territory unit if you ever wanted to build beyond the territories of space.

also private militaries exist for a reason

tes but if your military is more powerful than the enemy, you could supress them while you surround them, and you can use space teritories against them for surrounding them, i just find the ability to surround someone a little game breaking

It has been stated that claimed chunks will extend 1km down (seems to be the limit dow youll be able to dig) and 1km up. Ofcourse subject to change, but thats the latest I've seen from NQ.

So sure, theoretically you can cage someone in. But they could then just mine the roof out as it wouldnt be protected.

I am curious how damage will work in situations like this for those protected parts.

well, if space claims are a thi g which they seem to be, youcan also claim the roof above

Possibly, but how far up and how big are claims.

Unlike land, I wouldnt expect space claims to cover 100% around a planet. I would think they would be spaced with unclaimable gaps

i dont think that would make sense tho? how would the lore explain just randomly not being able to claim certrain lands

Space time interference due to res nodes?

Its magical tech that allows you to restrict access to modifying the land, who knows what governs it. Could be an issue with the TCUs not being able to function properly that close to eachother with so little mass.

It has been stated that claimed chunks will extend 1km down (seems to be the limit dow youll be able to dig) and 1km up... 

This. And also it is unlikely that a static construct (aka a building) will be able to extend over territory boundaries. If it could, who would own the building if the neighboring territory changes hands?

well, if space claims are a thi g which they seem to be, youcan also claim the roof above

By the above I assume you mean claims in space which are very much *not* a thing. Though building a static construct outside claimable territories (aka "space stations") will definitely be doable.  

Now assuming that planets may do that spinning thing, you would need to cover the entire planet in a ring to "roof" a territory.

That sounds like another good reason to have revolving planets, besides sunrises and sunsets.

It has been stated that claimed chunks will extend 1km down (seems to be the limit dow youll be able to dig) and 1km up. 

This. And also it is unlikely that a static construct (aka a building) will be able to extend over territory boundaries. If it could, who would own the building if the neighboring territory changes hands?

By the above I assume you mean claims in space which are very much *not* a thing. Though building a static construct outside claimable territories (aka "space stations") will definitely be doable.

Now assuming that planets may do that spinning thing, you would need to cover the entire planet in a ring to "roof" a territory.

That sounds like another good reason to have revolving planets, besides sunrises and sunsets.

It could be that voxels from neighboring chunks physically couldnt connect due to alignment snaps. Think of starmade planets. But as DU is using a more advamced voxel system over cubes, I dont think it will be an issue. Besides that would mean every kilimoter has a disconnect in the landscape.

So lets assume its possible, what wpuld happen if it was in 2 territories. Simple, you have access to modify the portion only in your territory, just like the ground. I do expect building, static constructs to be different than mobile, in they dont move. So doing this should be no harder than dealing with territory claims.

If it is, just have it so the teritories have to be merged, and controls linked.

Besides, we know there will be mega buildings greater than 1km.

currently not a thing, but they are looking to make it where you can claim regions in space, otherwise how would asteroids and stations be protected?

In my opinion it would just be highly ineffective and expensive, first you would need enough territory units to claim all the way around the other persons territory then you would need enough resources and people to build a cage around them before they noticed and tried to escape, even if you have a bigger army thats still going to cost a lot with very little reward. Plus, if they manage to escape then you just claimed a bunch of territorys and built half a wall for nothing.

Too many risks in my opinion but i guess its possible that somebody might try it 

From the AMA Event part 2, https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10110-kickstarter-ama-event-second-part/

How high can we build? Is a space elevator a possibility?

Because planets should turn around their axis in the future (if no particular technical problem prevents us from doing it), we will limit the altitude of what you can build to avoid having to handle collisions on the server for potentially millions of nearby constructs. In practice, anything below the max building altitude will "turn" together with the planet. This should be a few kilometers high. So, no space elevator, or else no turning planets!

How far up do we control in our territory?

Territory owners will be able to set rights like: editing rights (who can mine), construct creation right (who can create a static construct), enter right (who is allowed to enter without being flagged as "intruder"), taxes (amount to pay to use the above rights), and more and more possibilities as we expand with the community what is needed. The way this will be done is by following the principles of the "RDMS" or Rights & Duties Management System, as described in the corresponding devblog.

Is the territory control limited to planets or will we be able to sanction sections of the space around planets?

Territory control will be limited to planets at the game launch, but we will add more possibilities later in a territory focused expansion. It is likely that planetary space (a volume around a planet) will be managed as a whole entity for control, as well as system-level control and cluster-level control, all with hierarchical levels of political influence. Not an easy system to setup, and we plan to discuss it with the community to make it right.

from the AMA 1st event  https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10000-kickstarter-ama-event-first-part/

Will there be territory to control in space, if so how big?

We will work in this aspect a bit later, in a further game expansion, but yes, there will be territory management beyond planet ground. The way we see it for now is that territory in space should not be about defining volumes in space, but rather about establishing planet ownership, then system ownership. This ownership could be triggered once a given percentage of the claimed planet territories are under one organization control, with a hysteresis mechanism to avoid constant flips. This planetary scale ownership should grant certain rights to the owner, but not deprive other planet grounded territories of their prerogatives. This is a complex gameplay that we will further talk about in the future, but it will not be implemented at release time for now.

From the sounds of all of that, you can not roof over someone.  Also with the RDMS system if you don't have permission to build in their area, you cant even try to do this.  they also said there will be a clear line where your or someone else territory begins/ends so to build out of your territory, you will know you are doing this, and if someone else comes and claims that area, you lose control of that part of your build, and con no longer build there unless you are given the rights to by the owner.  

the space territories are going to be linked to the planet, and system etc, so you own the majority of the planet, you control the space around it, you own the majority of planets, you gain control of the system etc...

the space territories are going to be linked to the planet, and system etc, so you own the majority of the planet, you control the space around it, you own the majority of planets, you gain control of the system etc...

Kinda like EEZ? where countrys "have rights to fish" in a given space around their territory?

Kinda like EEZ? where countrys "have rights to fish" in a given space around their territory?

not really sure, they have only briefly talked about it and not really laid out exactly how its going to work.