Copy Right Infringment

Veln

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is there going to be some system of stopping people from stealing ship designs?

If you're selling a ship design that you made, whats stopping someone from buying a copy, building it, and reverse engineering it to make their own blueprint that's identical to yours, and then selling those?

PS: Sorry about the title of the thread, it should be Copyright Infringement but my stupid phone added a space between Copy and Right XD

He can only reverse engineer your ship by destroying it voxel by voxel, manually disassemble it and then rebuild it.

Will it happen? Possibly

Will builders come up with clever use of game mechanics to prevent that? Most likely

Can this be banned/stopped somehow? I don't think so

Should it be stopped? No, because 1) it's hell of a lot if work and 2) the bigger the ship the more unlikely and 3) it creates competition

I like to see a system in the game that prevents you from being able to duplicate it. For example the blocks/ship itself are all tagged some how to prevent blueprint production. 

That being said if someone built it by hand piece by piece then that was up to them.

You got a problem with it?

giphy.gif

As the CEO of a ship producing corp, I had some ideas about this as well. A reverse engineered ship will never meet the quality of an original design, but you could sell it cheaper. At this point we pretty much know that communication between ships/stations is possible, so we will most likely see some kind of holonet.

My ships will have a certification, so you can check if your ship is original or faked as soon as you get in range of an antenna.
Also, a ship without its scripts will be useless. So I was wondering if you can make something like an activation via the holonet. Faked scripts are an effort most stealers are not willing to do.

As the CEO of a ship producing corp, I had some ideas about this as well. A reverse engineered ship will never meet the quality of an original design, but you could sell it cheaper. At this point we pretty much know that communication between ships/stations is possible, so we will most likely see some kind of holonet.

My ships will have a certification, so you can check if your ship is original or faked as soon as you get in range of an antenna.

Also, a ship without its scripts will be useless. So I was wondering if you can make something like an activation via the holonet. Faked scripts are an effort most stealers are not willing to do.

Certificates can be easily faked though. You'd have to have on the Core to prevent somebody from easily faking it though (Otherwise you just copy somebody's numerical certificate.)

Also, what would you do if somebody did fake it? A ship is a ship. I don't care if Twerkmotor made it or you, a good build is a good build Unless you're buying for the brand. Which I severely doubt anybody would do that over quality..

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but is there going to be some system of stopping people from stealing ship designs?

If you're selling a ship design that you made, whats stopping someone from buying a copy, building it, and reverse engineering it to make their own blueprint that's identical to yours, and then selling those?

PS: Sorry about the title of the thread, it should be Copyright Infringement but my stupid phone added a space between Copy and Right XD

The same algorithm that works for identifying photos can be used to identify a voxel construct.

If you copy a shape that is already registered as owned by a person in the game - like a whole ship - you will trigger the alert. How NQ wants to proceed with that, depends to be seen.

In Landamrk, if you copied the voxel construct of another person and tried to resell it, you would send much of your income on the Blueprint to that person you copied.

So, if a person figures out the "best" ship shape, people will pay them for the "patent". However, NQ should put a "patent fee" for keeping this going, so if a person leaves the game with a huge patent, they don't end up being a money sink.

NQ shouldnt do shit, it should be the players community which decides how to deal with copyright infringement

Keep it Simple, Stupid.

Does anyone actually care about copy-right infringement? Shame on you if you let your non-recreation ships get captured.

Blueprint should have the name of their original creator, that way you can know if you are buying legit or if it's scam. I can definitely see some people trying to recreate designs that are popular in the Verse to sell them to unsuspecting players. More experienced players will know not to trust some rando trying to sell them something fishy without investigating it first.

If the original creator wants to deal with a thief they can just hire people with big guns to go and deal with it.

Blueprints are safe (and your work as in a stamp or something), as said several times by jc. You can't steal master BPs but you can copy them to sell it to ppl.

But you can't preventedit ppl from destroying your ship part by part and rebuilding it.

You can't disassemble a ship made with a blueprint, just add stuff on it. You'd need to slowly take out chunks of voxels using weapons (it's not even a reliable way, since it doesn't remove 1 voxel at a time but chunks, and partially cut voxels with dual contouring), wasting a lot of time and resources that you could have better spent building one on your own, hiring someone to do it or buying a master blueprint. 

Honestly it'll be pretty hard to prove your design was stolen. Pretty much every player will be designing and building their own ships. Orgs will likely adopt a guild standard design kind of like wearing same colors and tabards in a fantasy MMO. So ship designs that look familiar and even exactly the same will happen naturally with no malice intended. Plus I mean there's no actual way to stop someone from simply looking at the shape and design of your ship and build it the same way, they don't even need to touch your ship to do that.  

Besides any kind of extra system to track designs and shapes sounds like a huge resource drain they really can't afford. Would be wasteful to spend time and money on something that will largely be self policing I think in the game.

No thanks. It will just end up with people having less choices for how to build. Let the designer and his allies of a ship building industry use their own political power in the world to deal with copies. If they even care or have the resources to that is.

I think I agree with the fact that NQ should work on making blueprints as safe as possible and in case where people actually do manage to copy the design, by breaking it apart voxel by voxel(which I doubt unless there will be tools to cut things voxel by voxel) then it should be left to players to deal with how to deal with such things

the only reason people want NQ to copyright their ships is because they don't want to do their immersive work of finding ways around it.

The only reason people don't want people to be able to prevent others being able to protect their work so they can take all the players designs and mass sell it making the system almost useless and not enjoyable and being a troll who wants nothing more but a ruined game and then the players start quitting the devs run out of cash they try to sell the company but it ends up folding and then we have nothing.

All because someone wanted to steal ship designs :P

The only reason people don't want people to be able to prevent others being able to protect their work so they can take all the players designs and mass sell it making the system almost useless and not enjoyable and being a troll who wants nothing more but a ruined game and then the players start quitting the devs run out of cash they try to sell the company but it ends up folding and then we have nothing.

All because someone wanted to steal ship designs :P

Orrrr because it's a bad idea.

It'd be more immersive to let people themselves prevent people from copying (see also: system data wipes, voxel destruction to make ship useless) instead of some bullshit mechanic.

The interior is just as useful as the exterior.

the only reason people want NQ to copyright their ships is because they don't want to do their immersive work of finding ways around it.

In real life, a random dude with little to no experience with cars can't just steal a design for a car and put it in a machine that magically makes more of that car at the same exact quality.

So by your logic, being able to make a ship with base components and a blueprint, shouldn't even be a thing.

Personally I hope that copyright infringement can be a thing that's just handled by the players, but the reason I brought up the topic in the first place was because it looks like something that could be potentially really really shitty if there isn't a decent mechanic for handling it; kind of like how NQ is setting up a bounty system and not just leaving that to the community.

Orrrr because it's a bad idea.

It'd be more immersive to let people themselves prevent people from copying (see also: system data wipes, voxel destruction to make ship useless) instead of some bullshit mechanic.

The interior is just as useful as the exterior.

A simple imprint on the ship preventing blueprinting it is great. It's simple and not over doing it. If someone wants to copy the design by building it by hand and selling it again so be it. That at least takes time and effort. But having people at a market sell blueprints and you buy one and duplicate them and sell them for 1 credit each or something silly just ruins any future of people wanting to be creative. 

I mean if you guys want to freedom then lets speak freedom. 99.999999999% of players should not be able to manufacture ships because well that does not seem realistic. They must spend years RL building shipyards lol.

Sometimes little things are needed to make it work out in the long run. 

A random dude with little to no experience can't just steal a design for a car and put it in a machine that magically makes more of that car at the same exact quality.

So by your logic, being able to make a ship with base components and a blueprint, shouldn't even be a thing.

by my logic, nq shouldnt enforce copy right protection, people shoudl enforce that themselves if they care about their product.

the copyrighter would still have to reverse engineer the ship, and make his own blueprint, unless he can get his hands on the actual blueprint, in which case its the owners fault for being careless with who he gives the blueprints to

In real life, a random dude with little to no experience with cars can't just steal a design for a car and put it in a machine that magically makes more of that car at the same exact quality.

haha, I was just thinking this but more extreme. It's a game after all but in RL they would have to break down and rebuild and create the schematics from scratch right? I feel like that would be the same here as well. They can't just magically take their scanner and have the entire design of the ship. If such tech existed then they mix the metals or something to prevent that sort of scanning to begin with. With the future comes new things to future proof as well..

We can go back and forth and argue silly crazy complex ways to prevent it. But a t the end of the day it's a game and the only people who will want to cheat the system have 0 creative designs and just want to take other peoples work and sell it for 1 credit just to troll and make people stop making designs. 

We can go back and forth and argue silly crazy complex ways to prevent it. But a t the end of the day it's a game and the only people who will want to have copyright mechanics cant handle the concept that someoen could possibly steal their work and just want a utopian paradice where no crime ever happens, because they cant handle trolling.

by my logic, nq shouldnt enforce copy right protection, people shoudl enforce that themselves if they care about their product.

the copyrighter would still have to reverse engineer the ship, and make his own blueprint, unless he can get his hands on the actual blueprint, in which case its the owners fault for being careless with who he gives the blueprints to

I never suggested that NQ enforce anything. You're projecting