I'm fat so my mother got me a Camera for my Birthday! - So lets Talk Cameras!

So long story short my mother wanted to get me something that I would use a bit more to explore the outdoors rather then the indoors. I sadly don't live in the country or somewhere I can access ATV trails and fun recreational places and have no Car mainly due to how insane Insurance is and I just can't justify the costs till I can find myself a job.

So in comes the Camera for my Birthday!

What I got in Total:

Camera: Nikon COOLPIX P900 - 83x Optical Zoom with 166x Digital.

Tripod: COOCHEER Compact Camera Tripod Stand with 3-Way PanHead,1/4" QR Plate,Carrying Bag,57"(147cm),Load up to 8.8lb,Starter Beginner Entry Level

Filters: Neewer® 67MM Complete Lens Filter Accessory Kit for Lenses with 67MM Filter Size: UV CPL FLD Filter Set + Macro Close Up Set (+1 +2 +4 +10) + ND Filter Set (ND2 ND4 ND8) + Other

Battery / Charger: Pack of 3 Replacement EN-EL23 Batteries and Battery Charger

Memory Storage: SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB SDXC UHS-I Card 95MB/S

Carrying Case: AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag (Orange interior)

Why did you pick the P900?:

• I never was big into photography that being said I was always big into long range photography. I always found it unique and Interesting to try to spot where is Waldo sort of speak and explore the world from afar.
  • I enjoy the sky and I feel with a Camera like this I could take some interesting pictures of it during the night and day.
What are the cons?:

• It's not a DSLR Camera. Even though I'm new to all this stuff 100% this is a big deal for most people and highly not recommended as a first Camera.
  • It does not have detachable lens. Meaning the best you can do is use filters their pretty much this tinny lens you screw at the end of the big lens called Filters.
  • The Senors is quite small from my Understanding for a Camera like this it really should be a minimal of 1 inch sensors and I think this about 4 times less making it only slightly better the the better Phone Cameras on the Market for quality of pictures.
  • Camera only works well in bright light.
  • Only saves as JPG and not in Raw.
What are the pluses?:

• Simple to use all in 1 Camera.
  • Has the highest Zoom level then any other camera without spending insane amount on lens $1000's+
  • Don't have to keep swapping lens out for different ranges.
  • Saves money in the long run as you can't buy new lenses haha.
  • It's like owning a hand held telscope and lets you zoom into the Moon and other planets in our sky.
  • Can be used for perverts in the bush. Enjoy that jail time.
Would you recommend the P900 to others?

When I researched this camera the answer would be overall No unless you are unique like me and are not going for the most professional level and don't mind images that don't turn out perfect but as well as someone who mostly is wanting for zooming content and when I mean zooming I mean ZOOMING.

If you are someone looking for a camera overall then I would highly suggest a Canon or Nikon with a detachable Lens for sure. You will get much better pictures and overall you will learn more about Cameras overall.

This Camera is only good for people looking for really the distance of zoom and ease of use and budget on that zoom level.

Will you ever get a DSLR?:

I will consider it if I enjoy the P900 a lot. That being said I'm personally quite poor. With this all in one I'm happy I don't need a lens and I'm not trying to go for professional anything more just get off my butt and take pictures and have a reason to hike far out. But as time goes on if I find myself really enjoying the Hobby sure I will consider it more maybe even the next model of this Camera in the future.

Is there other Models of this type of Camera?

Nikon is planning to come out with something like the P1000 or maybe p910 in the future. There is no ETA on this it could be in 3 months or 3 years. The current info we have is it will be 125x optical zoom with a 1" sensor. This alone for the Sensor is really great news. The zoom might be too much because already at 83x it's hard to see things clearly because of things like heat shimmers and other environmental effects.

Canon also has a Camera with a 65x Optical zoom called the Canon Powershot sx60.

Your poor why the hell?

I'm quite poor and I love my life. I always hated working corporate job and the whole 9-5 Idea. I think us humans are enslaved and the whole point of robotics and automation was to create a better society and not make less then 100 people have as much money and power as everyone else on the entire planet.

besides my Political views on why I'm poor and stay that way and why I have not found a Internet job I enjoy yet has no meaning on the power of my mother.

My mother wanted to get me the darn Camera to become more healthy and because I have already lost almost 50 pounds this year. I plan on keeping this going and she just knows I spend way too much time in front of the computer. I face depression a lot and I reject most people including friends, and suggestions, and even gifts from my family. But I had been given advice that I should start small and accept this gift to help better myself and maybe to try to help me become a little less Anti Social in the future and hang out with my peers outside of the WWW.

I plan on starting a Youtube channel and I guess a Flickr? Not sure if there is other sites you guys and girls would recommend for me to check out to publish my content overtime to share.

I will edit this thread as time goes on clear.png

tltr; I'm fat my mommy wants me to be less fat and go outside and play with a Camera that can zoom out far and look at girls. I hope this post encourage Camera talk so I can learn the ways of being a Camera Man or Women clear.png

I enjoy the sky and I feel with a Camera like this I could take some interesting pictures of it during the night and day.

What are the cons?:

It's not a DSLR Camera. Even though I'm new to all this stuff 100% this is a big deal for most people and highly not recommended as a first Camera

You'll be able to shoot the moon perhaps and if you're lucky and patient you can even do some minor sky photos like great orion nebula or milky way. But since you can only leave the shutter open for about 20secs and due to the weak and cheap lenses (on top the small 1,3µm pixels) just don't expect too much from that.

But for everyday photos that x83 is perfect and you'll have a lot of fun for sure.

For really really cool photos you can abuse that ND8..... really nice and fun stuff to do with such a filter

Thanks mate I had to google some terms but I like the ND8 Filter looks cool.

I'm looking forward to it I know the whole Moon thing be a lot harder / special setup etc. But it's more hell that is quite cool.

Yeah, make sure you get a remote control (don't know if there is a cheap one for that cam) which can time the exposure time.

Then just go to a heavily crowded area, stand in front of the cam with nd8 and take a 5min picture. Make sure to stand still....truly amazing photo!

I do astrophotography, I know how hard it is. And expensive lol

Yeah, make sure you get a remote control (don't know if there is a cheap one for that cam) which can time the exposure time.

Then just go to a heavily crowded area, stand in front of the cam with nd8 and take a 5min picture. Make sure to stand still....truly amazing photo!

I do astrophotography, I know how hard it is. And expensive lol

Thanks mate I picked up one:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00NT5M0X8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_asp_8GhFN.DP459HQ

better to get one where you can manipulate the timer for exposures (like 5min, 2min or something) - they're marginally more expensive but are way way better. 

with this one you have to press the button for 5 min....

better to get one where you can manipulate the timer for exposures (like 5min, 2min or something) - they're marginally more expensive but are way way better. 

with this one you have to press the button for 5 min....

sadly there is none it seems even the nikon one is this http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/remote-cords/ml-l3-wireless-remote-control-%28infrared%29.html

there is a phone app though.

Ever since I took a photography class in college I have been into something called urban exploration.  I would HIGHLY recommend looking up urban exploration in your area.  Not only will you find some amazing/forgotten places to photograph... but you could meet other awesome people on the way.  With urban exploration always be smart and safe, bring a friend the first few times.

On another note... A lot of people think photography is meant for nature, and the beauty therein.  But some of the best and most powerful photographs I have seen are of people...  See if you can capture the wide array of emotions people exhibit on a daily basis.

It's actually pretty funny, I thought the photography class was going to be a "joke" and easy A for art credit.  Boy was I wrong...  I showed up to class not knowing I needed some fancy DSLR camera or anything of the sorts.  Anyway, photography can be a fun little side hobby even in the city/urban area.

Great suggestion mate. Yeah I would been the joke with my Camera it's neat but it's still not a DSLR. I would brought one those Mirrorless ones if I had collage loans/money again haha.

That is sort the future of Cameras now.

Either way thanks everyone for your advice so far :)

I recently got a new camera too. A Canon G7X Mark II. I mainly shoot landscapes when I travel, so I wanted something compact without losing all the DSLR features, and don't need a lot of zoom. I had a DSLR before and it was too bulky to carry around on trips.