How should we go about naming our characters in DU

Names of Users in DU  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What naming system is most preferable

• Just a single First Name
    • A First and a Last Name
    • A full First Middle and Last Name

The main reason I bring this up is that with the realism of DU I believe it wouldn't feel right to talk to a superior using a username which can kind of be equated to a first name. Captain Jones to me sounds much better than a username, or any other title that usually goes with a last name. Really want to know what everyone else thinks though. 

I VOTE WE NAME OUR CHARACTERS BY (fIRSTNAME)+(GENDER WE IDENTIFY BY)+(NUMBER OF MINUTES WE HAVE BEEN ALIVE ON EARTH)+(SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER)

No, I vote for DOB + First name + last name + SSN + mothers madien name + first pets name + address

i am fairly certain that this has already been addressed and decided by NQ. my understanding is you will have a "first" and "last" name.

It's optional. You got 1 space in a name, so you COULD have a first and last name. I, for example, just defined 1 word as a name. 

• 3 weeks later...

honestly, i think that you should be given an on-character id consisting of what Kuritho suggested and be given the option to show it to nearby people. Imagine going through military checkpoints to get into a base, that would be incredibly interesting. The lack of stupid immersion-breaking names over your head would also make infiltration and espionage work better and more organically. Better yet, you could use your id as a keycard two for base doors and the such making it that only these people could use it. You could also probably allow us to loot them. Imagine like a vendor of IDs for people from different clans selling them to the highest bidder forcing the clan to try to outbid or steal the card. Or maybe someone infiltrating a base after killing a member and stealing their id to get through checkpoints and doors... i just think it would increase immersion and create so much potential for player interactions

I think should be available: First name + Nickname + Last name

Nickname being the ingame name (if chosen) or name plate.

First name + Last name being the default requirement (as in EVE), unless a Nickname is chosen. If a Nickname is chosen, first and last names would only be shown in player's description / bio.

Example 1:

Leonard Paslow

- Name plate -

Leonard Paslow

- Character info -

First name: Leonard

Last name: Paslow

Nickname: n/a

Example 2:

Leonard "Lion" Paslow

- Name plate -

Lion

- Character info -

Nickname: Lion

I think behind every character should just exist a unique ID number, which would allow any modification later in-game (could be some specific "citizen administrative item" allowing to change a name).

Also, I think the option to choose what to show on the plate name would make things even more simple.

Example of setting panel:

- Show on nameplate -

¤ First name

¤ Last name

¤ Nickname

And the player would just check what he wants to see in-game.

Maybe even better would be to also be able to choose what we want to show, depending if the other player looking is friendly / neutral / ennemy. That would be perfect.

Example of setting panel:

- Display on nameplate (friendly) -

¤ First name

¤ Last name

¤ Nickname

- Display on nameplate (enemy) -

¤ First name

¤ Last name

¤ Nickname

- Display on nameplate (neutral) -

¤ First name

¤ Last name

¤ Nickname

¤ "Unknown"

15 hours ago, The_War_Doctor said:

I like this idea better than just having 1 space. gives more RP options in my mind if you character can go by last name or something

I call dibs on "The Doctor" tho, very important for me... cuz ya know im just such a huge fan! :P

Copyright names should be some what enforced to prevent stupidity. I almost like RP style naming systems. Pen Is for example as a first / last would get the user his personal info on the Internet. Joking aside though I think First and Last is the best. Helps prevent people taking 1 named stuff to be all damn cool and such but gives more names overall and I used my name since I'm boring :P

Over the player head :P? Showing the correct name to use to post on killboards haha. Either way I hope none this crappy hide their name stuff. If Joe Bob is in front of you I want to be able to display that. That being said if Joe Bob is inside a ship maybe shows the ship name / org name and if not in a Org then owner name?

On 7/6/2017 at 1:49 PM, Dociel said:

I think should be available: First name + Nickname + Last name

Nickname being the ingame name (if chosen) or name plate.

First name + Last name being the default requirement (as in EVE), unless a Nickname is chosen. If a Nickname is chosen, first and last names would only be shown in player's description / bio.

Example 1:

Leonard Paslow

- Name plate -

Leonard Paslow

- Character info -

Nickname: n/a

Example 2:

Leonard "Lion" Paslow

- Name plate -

Lion

- Character info -

Nickname: Lion

I think behind every character should just exist a unique ID number, which would allow any modification later in-game (could be some specific "citizen administrative item" allowing to change a name).

I'm prefer name formatting like this but it will be even better for me if we have option to change character name, in other words the character use unique ID number as the identifier

Name change? No please. A name should be tied to the character and I'm not talking Eve 2.0. In a sandbox game like this, people make stories and the stories are tied to the names. First name, middle name, last name/ first name, last name/ nickname, etc: I could hardly care less. It makes ensures that a player is careful what he does with his character. Except, of course we can get a way to view the past name changes and there is a time restriction on name change. With that, I don't mind, but in the absence of that a quasi-permanent name is best. 

On 7/7/2017 at 7:11 AM, Lethys said:

please no names over the head. And please no killboards.

And yes please to hide the name so that there is the need to do in-game stuff to scout that char and get to know who he is. Interesting gameplay could arise from such a thing. 

No thanks. If there is a local ass trolling I want to know who it is without them getting away from trolling lol. Maybe that is just me but this day of age I feel like anon trolls will just ruin more of the game.