Alioth size

Shynras

The area of a tile is approx. 0.65 sq km

The actual number of tiles on Alioth is 50862 

Total planet surface: 33 060 sq km

Radius of the planet: 51 km

Max speed at sea level: 200 km/h

Time required to circumnavigate the planet: 1,61h (322 km)

Planet size and max speed may be subject to change.

To give you an idea:

- In the may devdiary is shown (map ui panel) that Alioth has 50862 tiles

- In a recent tweet, NQ said that 1 tile is 681 sq kilometers

Total surface of Alioth 681*50862= 34 637 022 sq km, roughly 3,5 times USA size (9 370 000 sq km). 

(ofc Alioth size may be changed in the future)

Going to have to manifest destiny all up in Alioth

in all honesty though that's huge! and to think there will be several planets to work with out of the gate!

Also, more interesting numbers :

Surface of Alioth : 34 637 022 sq km = 1/15 of Earth's surface.

Radius of Alioth : sqrt(34 637 022/4/pi) = 1 660 km.

Circumference of Alioth : 1660*2*pi ~= 10 000 km.

Max time needed to go from a point A to a point B on Alioth at sea level on a spaceship : 10 000 km / 2 / (200 km/h) = 25h. 

EDIT: in case of a typo from NQ, you divide surface by 1000 and radius, circumference, travel time by 31.

Yields :

Surface of Alioth :34 637 sq km = 1/15000 of Earth's surface.

adius of Alioth : 53 km .

Circumference of Alioth : 322km or 1/124 of Earth's surface.

Max time needed to go from a pole to another on Alioth at sea level on a spaceship : ~50 min.

To give you an idea:

- In the may devdiary is shown (map ui panel) that Alioth has 50862 tiles

- In a recent tweet, NQ said that 1 tile is 681 sq kilometers

Total surface of Alioth 681*50862= 34 637 022 sq km, roughly 3,5 times USA size (9 370 000 sq km). 

681sq kilometers for one tile? Are you sure it isn't 0.681 sq. I remember reading that tile would be hexagon with 1km radius?

Area for an hexagon with 1km radius yields 2.6 sq km anyway... 

> 1/4 of the Earth seem pretty big tho indeed.

EDIT : 1.022 km of diameter yields .681 km of superficy for a tile.

Might have been diameter not radius.

Yeah NQ has already stated before that Alioth, and planets in general, have a 100km diamater. This is in line with the other math done to calculate certain features; if you get the same answer two different ways, it's probably right!

Yeah NQ has already stated before that Alioth, and planets in general, have a 100km diamater. This is in line with the other math done to calculate certain features; if you get the same answer two different ways, it's probably right!

Yup, if you calculate with 1km radius of the hexes it makes for 0,8km2 per tile. With 52000 tiles you get 115km diameter of alioth

I think you have incorrect numbers there OP. As others have said, I thik the tiles are about 1km in size (edge length or diameter, I don't remember). Going by the number of tiles on Alioth, that does work out to around 115~120km radius for the planet. 

I think you have incorrect numbers there OP. As others have said, I thik the tiles are about 1km in size (edge length or diameter, I don't remember). Going by the number of tiles on Alioth, that does work out to around 115~120km radius for the planet.

You didnt read the entire op

I personally would prefer the bigger planet since that would be able to sustain future generations for more time.

Remember that Alioth is not the only planet, right? Bigger planets would make controlling them even more of a nightmare for the wannabe space empires out there.

To really put this ^ in prospective for all those wondering how much they will be able to build....

.25 Square Mile = 160 Acres

1 Acre = to average 1 house and yard in rural United States

If you live closer to a major City this average lot size shrinks more and more until you are in the City where it is the smallest soooo....

Suburb average lot size is about half that at .5 Acres and Exurbs you are looking at an average lot size around .3 Acres

If you live in a major City you do not have a house or yard and they measure things a little different in what they call City Blocks, but these are not average, standard, usually anywhere near the same going from City to City so, I will use New York City (Famously known for very square uniform Blocks) north to south a NYC Block is 1/20th a mile

.25 miles = 5 New York City Blocks

So 1 claim area could give you enough space to build either or... 

160 Large houses with Large yards

320 Decent Size houses with Decent yards

5 Large City Blocks

• 4 months later...

The tiles are not perfect hexagons, not even all hexagons. As is normal with geodesic domes, there have to be a few pentagons (normally made of 5 triangle sections).

If you look at the map of Alioth, it is similar to this just with smaller territories (notice all of the hexagons are skewed because you can only build a plane with Regular hexagons):

Stellamodel.jpg