Dual Universe May 2017 DevDiary

ATMLVE

Fantastic!

giphy.gif

I loved that planetary map, it's very nicely done. I also liked seeing the trajectory mapper. Can't wait to see more of these logic elements you haven't displayed yet!

For the planetary map, is it possible to zoom in and select a more accurate waypoint/bookmark? Would we also be able to see large vehicles such as sandcrawlers or capital ships (possibly as a mechanic involving surveillance satellites)?

Good progress! I love what has been achieved :) I can't wait to Alpha. 

One thing, I find the waypoint marker for your current location to be a bit odd. I'm not sure what information it's showing. Based on the video, I'd say it seems to just be a static logo where you are, but typically having the little arrow there would make me thing it is showing direction. 

That is a crazy amount of territories! That means that if the game were to launch today with the number of people it has now, each person could get around 5 territories. 

It's like I keep saying, it's hard to understand the scale of this game. People are imagining battling across several stars, but just the first planet will be a huge place to fight over.

This is a great video. I particularly enjoyed the map screen and the bookmarking features.

I noticed the atmospheric entry heat effect doesn't seem to contour to the ship. I assume this is something that will be changed by release, not an issue at all. It looks very neat and I'm enjoying the UI developments as well.

Keep it up, NQ! Can't wait for alpha! Just think, only 3 more dev diaries.

Atmospheric entry friction, awesome.  And I wasn't just thinking it, the atmosphere does create drag?

Im curious what will be the planet to planet travel times, or even planet to moon. Release that video already. 

Who else is ready to get mining. 

How big is each territory? 50k spaces on a 120km planet seems... eh, a lot of space per Space.

Im sure someone will have the link at the ready, but if I recall each hexagon is about 1km diameter.     Specs on what the planet were given and that 120km is about right.   The Ark protection zone alone is 20km. 

I believe the territories are hexagons of about 1km in size (edge length I think). There are some non-hexagons as well in order to make it a sphere

Those are going to be the specialty points.   Huge battles will be held over control of the oddball zones just to make it your capitol as a sort of trophy.   

I forget, is it 12 pentagons to make the sphere required?

Those are going to be the specialty points.   Huge battles will be held over control of the oddball zones just to make it your capitol as a sort of trophy.   

I forget, is it 12 pentagons to make the sphere required?

That would be interesting. Off the top of my head (without looking it up) I thought it was 6, but maybe 12.

where's twerk when there's greek involved lol

you need 12 (dodecahedron - dodeka - twelve). But you won't be happy with only pentagons as you need hexagons/pentagons to cover a sphere

on topic:

very nice video - love it!

Few questions to NQ:

- You speak of "Retro engines" - does this mean there is no friction in space at all and you can only break by slapping on one of those (or regular engines in the opposite direction)?

- Will the construct overheat/be damaged by reentry?

- Will we need to have an apropriate entry vector to successfully land or can we just fly perpendicular to the surface straight down?

- There is, obviously, friction involved and a deacceleration (in the video -3kN Atmospheric thrust) but is there drag too?

- Will the construct overheat/be damaged by reentry?

Someone asked basically the same in youtube comments. The answer from Dual Universe was "... it might ;)"

OH WOW, this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I was hoping to see! I'm really impressed by the progress. By the time the Alpha is ready to rock, I'll have been done with GenCon 2017, so I'll actually have time to play!