about the tile ownership

Slaxx

so, since you need to hand craft ownership devices to control a single tile, how the heck can you ever control a whole planet? are you supposed to hand craft and place into every hexagon a unique territory control unit?

i cant see that working out with a space game that has hundreds of planets.

You don't.  The members of an organization collectively might own a majority of a planet... But you or an Org isn't going to "own" a whole planet... likely ever.   At least not in game system terms.  ... unless you do indeed set out to ... as a group... put an ownership device in every hex.

The other way to "own" something is to have the power... man power... and will to use force to remove those you don't want and prevent those you don't want from trespassing.  Then you own it by virtue of your ability to control who can travel to it whether or not the game says you do.

Also the political system could be used to establish broad "control" of a planet for larger empire and management purposes.

But my question concerning tile ownership... I wonder how deep and how far above mining and building rights go?  Can we mine under other's tiles?  Can someone park a huge station directly above you?

50,862 * 0.681 gives a surface area of around 34637 sq km. So Alitoh has a radius of around 52.5 km

So let's assume "only" the top 1 km of the planet is mineable.
Volume of Alioth is around cubic km: 6.06×10^5
Volume of unminable planet: 5.72x10^5
So the mineable volume of the entire planet is 34 000 cubic km

Let's say 1% of that contains usable ores (it will probably be a bit more)
So we have 340 cubic kilometers of ores.

That doesn't sound like a lot. But wait, let's get that count in Olympic sized swimming pools (2500 cubic meters). So that's around 136 million Olympic sized swimming pools in volume.

Now let's be conservative and say each player on average mines out 1 Olympic sized swimming pool a day. We ignore the logistics of finding the ore and moving it around. For 50 000 players it will take 2720 days or around 7 and a half years to mine out. But players are crazy so they can easily do it in half that time ;) Once we know how fast we can actually mine, we can get a better estimate.

I am not really worried about running out of resources since in 2 years players would have spread to other planets where the same calculation can be done all over again. And we are not even counting moons or asteroids.

Edit: The numbers are a bit off. It's actually more like 50,862 * 0.65 = 33060.3 sq km. Which gives a planetary radius of closer to 51.292 km. Also the depth that can be dug might be more than 1 km and the % of ore to not-ore could be as high as 20%.  So the above estimates may be very much on the low side.

That brings out the question, how many players is DU actually expected/hoped to have is 50 000 even the right scale. Bit off topic question would be the question of how many players DU actually needs to be sustainable/profitable. 

I think you should be able to edit tiles that no one has claimed yet.  So, while you de jure don't own a planet via territory claim, you, or an org, may be able to de facto claim it by making sure no one else does it.

I think you should be able to edit tiles that no one has claimed yet.  So, while you de jure don't own a planet via territory claim, you, or an org, may be able to de facto claim it by making sure no one else does it.

I believe it has been confirmed that you can edit... build... mine... on unclaimed land the same as you would on land you claimed... just without any of the protections claiming the land bestows. 

Yes you aren't limited to mining only what you have claimed, a claim is more a base of operations or a valuable mineral deposit. For the most part miners would be outside those claims while mining and prospecting.

50,862 * 0.681 gives a surface area of around 34637 sq km. So Alitoh has a radius of around 52.5 km

So let's assume "only" the top 1 km of the planet is mineable.

Volume of Alioth is around cubic km: 6.06×10^5

Volume of unminable planet: 5.72x10^5

So the mineable volume of the entire planet is 34 000 cubic km

Let's say 1% of that contains usable ores (it will probably be a bit more)

So we have 340 cubic kilometers of ores.

That doesn't sound like a lot. But wait, let's get that count in Olympic sized swimming pools (2500 cubic meters). So that's around 136 million Olympic sized swimming pools in volume.

Now let's be conservative and say each player on average mines out 1 Olympic sized swimming pool a day. We ignore the logistics of finding the ore and moving it around. For 50 000 players it will take 2720 days or around 7 and a half years to mine out. But players are crazy so they can easily do it in half that time ;) Once we know how fast we can actually mine, we can get a better estimate.

I am not really worried about running out of resources since in 2 years players would have spread to other planets where the same calculation can be done all over again. And we are not even counting moons or asteroids.

I would say it be less then 1% by far. I know 1% seems decent and fair but when your dealing with massive mass and scanning you could cut that down to 0.01% and it might even still seem like a lot of resources.

That being said it still would take a long long time before people mined out all the resources. That also being said the spawn for new players can move. We are in space after all expanding and changing our universe is important.

Not sure what will happen later in the game maybe users can be born in a city or maybe a new fresh colony far far away.