So as I have been reviewing the game's lore, I came across the background for how Resurrection Node technology works. Now, for those who don't know, according to the official lore bible the current in lore explanation for Resurrection Nodes is based upon the many worlds principle. The idea is that once your character dies, the node switches the universe to another in which everything is the same, except instead of being dead, you are in the Resurrection Node. In order to conserve energy, the node only restores your naked body when it does this.

Now, this is a fairly functional explanation, but the argument why we can't use these nodes for other purposes that involve parallel universes is fairly weak. Realistically, when this technology was discovered it would've been further expanded on by scientists in order to replicate the process. There is no practical reason that I can see why scientists on Earth wouldn't have tried to make one big node to try and replicate the entire population of the earth off of the planet. Maybe that seems far fetched, but it seems difficult to believe that the nodes can only replicate universe with things inside of themselves. And while this is a cool explanation either way, there seems to be a simpler answer.

I propose that instead of having Resurrection Nodes use the many worlds principle, instead you have them designed to atomically replicate the dead person inside the node. Because players always are wearing their space suit, it would make sense that a system could be in place to constantly scan the body of the player to send back to the resurrection node. The node is given this data, and so when the feed stops when the player is killed, then the node knows to rebuild the entire player from the ground up; atom by atom, molecule by molecule, cell by cell. This could also give a good in game reason why they need so much energy, as they would be converting energy into matter to form the players. Even more, the node can only build one player because the data is so complicated, that there isn't enough memory in the node to store the constant data of more than one person.

This is just an opinion, but I feel that the explanation for resurrection nodes is the one lacking section of the entire lore. I think it could be easily simplified down to not require quantum mechanics or anything nearly as complicated. Thank for taking the time to read my suggestion.

If you want a look at the lore bible, where I got all my information on the explanation for resurrection nodes, here's the link: https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/11/16/official-lore-bible/

Welcome to the forums! First off, both explanations have their merits, the official one and yours. The technology on Earth at it's end is pretty good; they have matter manipulators and "unobtanium". Even so, switching an instance of our universe with that of an alternate does seem pretty far-fetched (and totally unfair for all the universes except this one), but who's to say it couldnt happen? It's a couple hundred years of technological development, who knows. And after all, it is a game; no need to be explicitly realistically detailed. They say that's how it is, that's how it is.

As for your skepticism on the fact that they couldn't save all of the members of the human race; well, if they undergo such an enormous undertaking as to swap out all humans after their death, where would they live? The Earth is destroyed regardless. So rather then focus their resources on saving as many peoples lives as they could, they focused on actually giving humans a chance to survive somewhere in the first place.

It may not be a perfect explanation, and I understand your mild irritation at some backstory/lore that doesn't make any sense in your head and it bugs you, but the lore is what it is and it's probably not going to change.

Well they could've sent the entire population to earth again. An alternative universe where the neutron star never hit earth. But that would take enormous amounts of energy, even if they'd have a dyson sphere it would've been not enough.

Lore wise you could argue just with "every alternative universe, whenever a player dies, is one where earth was destroyed". Works as good as your theory.

But at the end of the day it's a game and the lore can only explain so much. It only needs to put the game in a context, nothing more.

Discussions about it are all fun and nice, but it's not that crucial to the game

That is an interesting question. Like they said, it is a game so the explanation doesn't have to be perfect.

What I've always wondered is: if when you die it switches you (the person who died to a new universe), doesn't that mean that you are in a different universe now? So to you everything is the same except you're alive, but to everyone else in the old universe you're still dead. So following the lore, we'd all end up in different universes.

That is an interesting question. Like they said, it is a game so the explanation doesn't have to be perfect.

What I've always wondered is: if when you die it switches you (the person who died to a new universe), doesn't that mean that you are in a different universe now? So to you everything is the same except you're alive, but to everyone else in the old universe you're still dead. So following the lore, we'd all end up in different universes.

Yep, that's the only drawback there. Nice spot check

Would we each then being playing private games that look public once each one of us dies? By this logic, once everyone has died we would all be in our own universes that look like the same universe

Would we each then being playing private games that look public once each one of us dies? By this logic, once everyone has died we would all be in our own universes that look like the same universe

Yes. It's like each of us would be the only one who could ever respawn (from our own perspectives) because whenever someone else died they'd vanish from the universe. Then when you die, you go to an identical universe where they also vanished. So once everyone dies, you will be alone :o 

Yes. It's like each of us would be the only one who could ever respawn (from our own perspectives) because whenever someone else died they'd vanish from the universe. Then when you die, you go to an identical universe where they also vanished. So once everyone dies, you will be alone :o

giphy.gif

oh geez, I had my fill of mindf*** today. Stuff like Infinite World theory, quantum mechanics, hyperdimension...

I think it could be easily simplified down to not require quantum mechanics or anything nearly as complicated.

Oh, btw, due to the subatomic particles being small enough for quantum wave collapse to not happen easily, the perfect replication of the human body(or anything else) will have to involve quantum mechanics to factor in for quantum probablity. And assuming one atom takes up.

Sidenote(and a long one): Lets say each atom has two values, atomic mass(proton+neutron count) and electron count. They take up 2 bytes in total. There are about 7 billion billion billion atoms in the human body, or 7*10^27 atoms. Since each atom takes up 2 bytes, we have 4*10^28 bytes, or 400 trillion terabytes. Note that the world data storage capacity is 295000 terabytes. Using off-the-shelve technology, we should have 200 trillion of those 2 terabytes external hard drives. They take up about 11*8*1, or  88 cm^3. since there are 200 trillion of them, we have 17.6 km^3 of hard drives.(probably screwed up here)

According to explainxkcd, the hard drive industry ships around 8 million terabytes of memory per year. Assuming the trend continues through 2500(unlikely due to lore events), we will have 3864 million terabytes more.

Keep in mind that these are all liberal estimates. Just something I did for fun. From a realism standpoint, both seems far off, thought the body replication it seems like is building a good enough 3d printer and enough drives and antimatter reactors.  I imagine attempting to literally control parallel universes would take far more energy then atomic replication, so why can't we use this to create other things, considering the human body is very complex?

I assume NQ has a reason for choosing the many worlds explanation for the resurrection nodes, but personally, I like the replicator explanation much better.  It fits the same gameplay and it is a much easier concept to grasp.  Even though I first read it months ago, I still do not know what "switching universes" is supposed to mean.  It seems to imply the node is changing which universe is "real" or "active", but according to the many worlds interpretation, all the worlds are real.

So its been a while since i read through the resurrection node thrmeory, but I think yall are missing part of the many world theory.

If it can happen is is happening.

Theres a small chance an atom infront you will transmute into another. Theres an even smaller chance that 10 will do it in a group and soforth. So theres a tiny chance that atoms will randomly self assemble into a copy of you with all youre memories up ubtil that point, so he thinks he is you.

So given that, theres also a chance right as you die, they self assemble at a location of your state before death. The res node just fixes in on that version of reality. You could say it funnels ypur counsciousness into that reality.

I dont think this is exactly how the lore explains it, but its a way to do it but it gives the same effect, youre alive in the same universe, or one thats indistingusbiable up to the point of your death.

But this wouldnt have to put you into single player worlds like it was mentioned, as up to that point everything about the original reality and the one you res in is indistingushiable. Including other people and their counsciousness.

Funneling consciousness sounds like what switching universes would mean.  However, that means the consciousnesses of the people in each universe must be different, even if they are otherwise indistinguishable.  If consciousness were the same, there would be nothing to transfer from one universe to another and no need for the resurrection nodes.  Since everyone else sees the person reappear that the resurrection node, the node must funnel the consciousness of all the people, not just the one who died,

I understand the many worlds theory. It's just so overly unnecessary. Why can't they set the machines up to respawn you in the same universe, but you're in the node with a bunch of cash? (well, economic, but...) I more just think it makes more sense to simplify the idea behind the nodes because there isn't any other use of many worlds in the game. And since the lore isn't fully hammered in yet, its not a horribly difficult change right now.