What kind of elements (props) would you like to see in game?

Kiklix

As most of you are aware Novaquark is laying down the foundation for Dual Universe. They need to get the game in a strong alpha state before they launch their kickstarter campaign. This means that some of the purely aesthetic aspects of the game will have to come later on, like outfits, player customization etc.

This thread is for those who would like to dream of the kinds of elements or "props" as they are called in some other games that they would like to see in dual.

There are many different types of elements.

• Active elements: Elements that have a function and will most likely be scriptable (rocket boosters, guns, conduits for energy transfer, etc).

• Superficial elements: Elements that are made for decoration only. These are to help add atmosphere to a construct (pots/pans, soda cans etc).

• Superficial Working elements: Elements like stoves, sinks, toilets. Elements that "work" in game with opening doors, flowing water etc, but have no function outside of immersive aspects.

• Emitter elements: Elements that give off an effect such as lightning or electric arcs, waterfalls/flowing water, steam vents etc. These would fall under active elements in most cases.

List what kind of active or superficial elements would you like to see ultimately in Dual Universe?

I will start off with these:

• Active elements:

1. Ramp doors. Doors that extend outward to allow for easier ingress/egress into a ship style construct.
  2. Shield windows. Windows that have closable blast shields.

• Superficial elements:

1. Desks
  2. Chairs
  3. Soda cans

• Superficial Working elements:

1. Rotating fans. Fans that rotate at various speeds, couple well with steam vents.
  2. Spinning gears. Gears of various sizes that rotate to make mechanical looking machines.

• Emitter elements:

1. Steam Vents that blow gusts of steam.
  2. Electric arcs.
  3. Heads up displays with the ability to change the color of the hud.

​

All seem to be really good ideas. I really like the ramp and i am pretty sure the hud is going to be something like that.

As for suggestions i would like to see some sort of conveyor system kinda like in SE, Stairs would be pretty awesome as well. catwalks, Maybe some sort of auto-repair system like in From the Depths. No way for it to keep you alive during battle unless your entire ship is made of them but will patch you up after.

All seem to be really good ideas. I really like the ramp and i am pretty sure the hud is going to be something like that.

As for suggestions i would like to see some sort of conveyor system kinda like in SE, Stairs would be pretty awesome as well. catwalks, Maybe some sort of auto-repair system like in From the Depths. No way for it to keep you alive during battle unless your entire ship is made of them but will patch you up after.

I like the conveyor idea..I don't think I would have ever thought of that. :D

Uhm, while all the elements are cool, the emitter ones kinda don't add up on a setup of "cool effects", like lightning arcs, except if they are light sources, like lamps. Last thing anyone needs is some crazy person, rigging a lightning arc on firing at a loop of 0.01 secs and causing people to have seizures.. 

On the other hand, having too many decorative elements could bog the server down with unneeded and unnecessary objects that 3D-meshes, at least, when it comes to ships. Perhaps the devs have thought out how to reduce said Elements on a moving construct. For the ground, I see no reason what's so ever to not have all those things on a construct. If someone got the time, they should build said house, or garage or anything.

Control Units or interactive terminals are sorta confirmed on the LUA scripts DevBlog, and you COULD possibly change their colors. I mean, nobody likes the military green but everyone love spiffy violet pink. And if they don't give us the ability to change the Heads-Up Display, fear not, the Add-On knights of GitHub are coming. I know this, because I'm already editing the Borg Queen's lines and storing them to make a spiffy add-on that  reminds me of the futility of life :V. Unless you meant the Terminals' screens, which can be also changed in LUA (this remains to be seen, pending the release of the LUA API by the devs).

The thing is, the Devs have to sacrifice superficiality on cosmetic purposes, for superficiality on working Elements in my opinion, just so the game can run smoothly and not like some other ForgeLight engine games that couldn't be handled even with 36 GB RAMs. Sure, they may not add a cosmetic arc emitter, but nobody said they might not add some sort of Tesla-inspired machinery that sends jolts of lighting between two spheres. I mean, I could think that, and I'm just an educated idiot, they can do so much better than me :P

I was just thinking of something like a catapult too!   :D

Along the same lines i would love a Working Construct for Landing a ship too.  Something like the docking platforms on stations in Elite Dangerous.

A spinning platform that lowers the ship inside and a track that can move the ship into a hanger area after you've gotten out of it.

I was just thinking of something like a catapult too!   :D

Along the same lines i would love a Working Construct for Landing a ship too.  Something like the docking platforms on stations in Elite Dangerous.

A spinning platform that lowers the ship inside and a track that can move the ship into a hanger area after you've gotten out of it.

Yes, yes, and more yes.

One of my favorite things about Elite Dangerous - Docking. :D

some more ideas:

Alarm Rotating Light (light emitter)

Functions:

• start
  • stop
  • changeColor(new color)
Events:
  • started
  • stopped
  • colorChanged(oldColor, newColor)
http://www.federalsignal-indust.com/sites/default/files/slides/products/371_C_HRb.jpg

---------

Alarm Flashing Light

same functions and events as all above

------

Alarm Sirene (sound emitter)

Functions:

• start
  • stop
  • fadeIn
  • fadeOut
  • changeVolume(percent value)
Events:
  • started
  • stopped
  • volumeChanged(old value, new value)

---------

Alarm Bell (sound emitter)

same functions and events as above

---------

Flat Screens (all size, sleek looking)

Curved Screens (all size)

Static Display Panel (would not require power to operate, cannot be changed once defined, like Rust's wood panels)

------

Global Positioning System / Inertial Navigation Unit (tl;dr: "YOU ARE HERE" on a planet, and in space )

------

IFF - Identification Friend or Foe

• Client: Broadcast (radar?radio?laser?) a user defined set of key/label like "callsign=DEIM Ship One" "type=passager transport"
  • Server: automatically capable of telling if a given client is friend or foe. (no need to overcomplexify the game by adding top secret crypto codes etc)
(wikipedia page)

------

Big searchlight

Functions:

• setPowered (on/off) -> rotation
  • startLight
  • stopLight
  • autoRotate(on/off)
  • setPosY(value)
  • setPosX(value)
  • setFocus(value)
  • changeColor(value)
  • trackTarget(target)
Events
  • powered(on/off)
  • lightStarted(on/off)
  • autorotation(on/off)
  • tracking(on/off, target)
  • xPosChanged(old value, new value)
  • yPosChanged(old value, new value)
  • colorChanged(old value, new value)
http://glamox.com/upload/2011/06/22/xs_anti-pirate.jpg

IR Imagery / CCTV Camera

can be used as sensor for lifeforms detection from orbit or within a construct

Functions:

• setPowered (on/off)
  • autoRotate(on/off)
  • setPosY(value)
  • setPosX(value)
  • setFieldOfView(value)
  • getFeed -> used by display screen
Events
  • powered(on/off)
  • autorotation(on/off)
  • PlanetaryConstrcutDetected(target)
  • SpaceConstructDetected(target)
  • LifeformDetected(target)

---------

Small / Medium / Large Telescope (deep space ship detection, planetary exploration / survey)

Functions:

• setPowered (on/off)
  • setFocus(value in percent)
  • setMinRange(value in percent)
  • setMaxRange(value in percent)
Events
  • powered(on/off)
  • focusChanged(old value, new value)
  • minRangeChanged(old value, new value)
  • maxRangeChanged(old value, new value)
  • PlanetaryConstrcutDetected(accuracy)
  • DeepSpaceConstructDetected(accuracy)

• Active elements: Maps/Star Maps, something that allows for navigation. Looks nice and has an important function. Scriptable robotic guards to attack enemies on sight.  Security cameras.

• Superficial elements: Plants, decorative scanner devices, maps, pictures, stylish rugs, statues/ornaments.

Superficial Working elements: All you mentioned Kiklix, plus a mannequin to put armor on, chairs, beds, maybe a wardrobe, computer monitors.

• Emitter elements: Particles, lazer lights  :P  

Personally I am thinking of one specific component in many many different various forms - and I am quite sure most of you will agree with me. 

Doors. . .

Double Doors. . . 

Hidden Hatches. . .

Hidden Doors. . .

Really Large Doors. . .

Hangar Gates. . .

and the list goes on and on. . .

Essentially what I mean by this, is I am quite sure most of us do not want to stare at the same type of door every day. It will be a object we will most likely be interacting with on a daily basis many many times. So when you do the game, at least give us quite a few varied choices on which doorway / hatch / entryway to use. 

• Active elements: kind of electric/energy fence to protect properties, holographic planet map, holographic model of given ship, showing key structure elements and their condition, space elevator

Superficial Working elements: Jukebox, Vinyl Player

"For active elements:  short distance/intra-planetary portals. Who wants to burn immense amounts of fuel or spend hours getting from one side of the planet to another?

For Superficial working elements: laptops, smartphones or any handheld device. Hacking and communicating with interfaces should be interesting, except we can script this into the HUD. 

"

An excellent discussion! I can see the devs taking ideas from here and placing them straight into the game.

We do not know as an absolute what NQ can make or desires to make, but I do believe that random brainstorming often leads to some of the most inspirational ideas that are so off in left field that the only way to find them is to randomly brainstorm. I imagine NQ can not do 90% of what is being asked here, but it does give some insight into what players would like to see and it helps bring out ideas that maybe even NQ did not think of. At the end of the day, it can only serve to help make a better game.  :D

"I'm thinking of adding hand-held gravity/graviton grenades to active elements. Imagine fitting less lethal variants of those to ships. They could act as some kind of anchor or speed brake.

There is a gun that shoots a form of that in Saints Row IV. The only difference there is: when you get too close, you die."

• 5 weeks later...

Since it's a game with spaceships and space stations some docking doors would be nice. So you could just dock your spaceship without landing in a hangar, maybe just to go from one ship to another without getting out of the ship.

I saw mentions of mecs, but not land vehicles? Some wheels and hopefully some continuous track (as seen on tanks) would be nice, so it would be easier to gain resources on large planets.

Elevators? since there'll be buildings, it would be nice to use the elevator instead of stairs or jetpack.

As most of you are aware Novaquark is laying down the foundation for Dual Universe. They need to get the game in a strong alpha state before they launch their kickstarter campaign. This means that some of the purely aesthetic aspects of the game will have to come later on, like outfits, player customization etc.

This thread is for those who would like to dream of the kinds of elements or "props" as they are called in some other games that they would like to see in dual.

There are many different types of elements.

• Active elements: Elements that have a function and will most likely be scriptable (rocket boosters, guns, conduits for energy transfer, etc).

• Superficial elements: Elements that are made for decoration only. These are to help add atmosphere to a construct (pots/pans, soda cans etc).

• Superficial Working elements: Elements like stoves, sinks, toilets. Elements that "work" in game with opening doors, flowing water etc, but have no function outside of immersive aspects.

• Emitter elements: Elements that give off an effect such as lightning or electric arcs, waterfalls/flowing water, steam vents etc. These would fall under active elements in most cases.

List what kind of active or superficial elements would you like to see ultimately in Dual Universe?

I will start off with these:

• Active elements:

1. Ramp doors. Doors that extend outward to allow for easier ingress/egress into a ship style construct.
  2. Shield windows. Windows that have closable blast shields.

• Superficial elements:

1. Desks
  2. Chairs
  3. Soda cans

• Superficial Working elements:

1. Rotating fans. Fans that rotate at various speeds, couple well with steam vents.
  2. Spinning gears. Gears of various sizes that rotate to make mechanical looking machines.

• Emitter elements:

1. Steam Vents that blow gusts of steam.
  2. Electric arcs.
  3. Heads up displays with the ability to change the color of the hud.

​

That's a very steam punk list Kiklix. 

I would add.

1. Stone, grass & dirt doors that hinge like an aircraft door on the bulky arm/ arms. For hiding your base. Uses the terrain texture on the out side. Active element. 
  2. Scoop nets. A net mesh that has reduced collision damage so that a astronaut boarding a moving ship has something to catch that wont kill him. (CaptainShack just got run over by Wastedspace in Star Citizen as he tried to board the later's ship mid combat.) The net puts you in the ships frame of reference. Place near or inside a door.
  3. Real clear force field(or utility fog airwall) door, voxel and seamless thin plane. This can be used to keep the air in and allows views out. A touch of glow at the edges. Not bullet or player proof but just for keeping the air in the hangers. Simplifies hangers and airlocks a lot. Requires power to work. If a force field suffers power loss it disappears to air or vacuum, explosive decompression sucks! [it's still there though so it is back if repowered]. If utility fog it goes cloudy, solid and impassable but very low hit points. Active element though technically an Emitter element.
  4. Rear view screens. Showing what's behind or below you. A landing aid and combat aid if your being chased. Active element and not easy to code.
  5. Landing lasers. Four different coloured lasers that define a landing pad. If you can see all 4 your in the wrong place. If you can't see any their behind you. Get two in view. Also tells you if you will fit though the hanger door! Off if the pad is occupied. 100 m range. Emitter elements. Helps JC land. 
  6. Ranging lasers. Two harmless parallel laser beams, different colours. Not the same as above. Reflect off surfaces with a glow. Tells you how close you are to the space station, asteroid or underwater rock and tells you if you will fit though a gap of they are on your wing trips. Also helps with weapon aiming but if your that close you both in trouble. These are used on research submarines and space docking already. Emitter elements. 
  7. Seat Cushion. A simple pad mesh with a sit activation. Can be placed anywhere in a voxel structure to turn any voxel surface into a seat. It should be small so you can hide it in a more ornate chair, motor cycle seat, etc. It should be white but can be dyed like a voxel. It should not be a control station (This is the passenger seat or brig seat; you don't want them controlling anything and stealing your ship). Active element. 
  8. Simple signs with an arrow: Exit, Turret, Power, Bridge, Stair, Ladder, Danger!, Shops. These will require 6 directions: left right, Up Down, Above below. These should be embossed ceramic not a powered sign. Cheap signs so people don't get lost on your mine, ship or building. No power requirement. Ideally multilingual symbols. Superficial elements. 
  9. Voxel turret. Two linked meshes- one element that rotates around a common but empty centre. These allow a voxel turret to be built in the centre producing more superficial turret diversity but its still a standard weapon. Can be used as a fixed wing weapon. Bigger version for spinal mounts. Active element.
  10. Race flag and token. Skii race type coloured flags that mark racing tracks. Stay between the flags keeping one colour on your left. Double ended MUCH bigger curved version for air and zero g racing. These define a race track. A race requires an token item bought from a market unit. If tagged on another player with a token a timer starts. Delivery to another market machine win/ buys the prize. Superficial elements. The token is an active item with a target market location maybe an instruction file lookup. Race token may be the prize creating a staged race. "Go orbit", "go planet" and "Use stargate" flags for space and interstellar racing. We can create player made quests with these if allowed. 

This should give some dev a nervous breakdown. 

Uhm, while all the elements are cool, the emitter ones kinda don't add up on a setup of "cool effects", like lightning arcs, except if they are light sources, like lamps. Last thing anyone needs is some crazy person, rigging a lightning arc on firing at a loop of 0.01 secs and causing people to have seizures.. 

On the other hand, having too many decorative elements could bog the server down with unneeded and unnecessary objects that 3D-meshes, at least, when it comes to ships. Perhaps the devs have thought out how to reduce said Elements on a moving construct. For the ground, I see no reason what's so ever to not have all those things on a construct. If someone got the time, they should build said house, or garage or anything.

Control Units or interactive terminals are sorta confirmed on the LUA scripts DevBlog, and you COULD possibly change their colors. I mean, nobody likes the military green but everyone love spiffy violet pink. And if they don't give us the ability to change the Heads-Up Display, fear not, the Add-On knights of GitHub are coming. I know this, because I'm already editing the Borg Queen's lines and storing them to make a spiffy add-on that  reminds me of the futility of life :V. Unless you meant the Terminals' screens, which can be also changed in LUA (this remains to be seen, pending the release of the LUA API by the devs).

The thing is, the Devs have to sacrifice superficiality on cosmetic purposes, for superficiality on working Elements in my opinion, just so the game can run smoothly and not like some other ForgeLight engine games that couldn't be handled even with 36 GB RAMs. Sure, they may not add a cosmetic arc emitter, but nobody said they might not add some sort of Tesla-inspired machinery that sends jolts of lighting between two spheres. I mean, I could think that, and I'm just an educated idiot, they can do so much better than me :P

There is a way to do a complex 3d mesh as a simple 2d picture but I can't find anyone to write the code for me. 

In simple terms you make the complex 3d mess ;) once and take a movie of it rotating with the camera focus centred on it. Then you play back the movie as a posterised still image with the player angle to the poster defining which frame to play. The player walks around the table and sees all 100 pieces of stuff on the table. Add or remove an item to the table it redoes the 'video' in a separate view and up dates it. 

The key is to have a totally no draw background and a defined plane so it does not seem to be floating or clipping other 'real' models. In some cases you would need two or three extra camera angles if someone can look down on the thing or look up at it. Thus something that is too hard to do as a single mesh, a pile of stuff on a table or vegetation on a planter becomes just a 2d slow playing video image. This could also be used as a solution to very complex lod problems. 

I have done a search the idea is not totally new but was impossible the last time someone did some work on it. Assuming I got the right search terms. This is far beyond my programming capacity or normal mapping. 

I would like to see invisible(or small enough) and very elementary active elements such as:

- invisible hindges, rotation axes

- invisible translation rails

- invisible sensors

- invisible particules box

- ship piloting seat without cockpit

- engines reduced to mechanic parts without hull

- cockpit ui elements separatly

etc...

all those to be able to customize better the look of my creations, not be constrained into a variation of possibilities

- Different types of teleporting pads/gateways with different visual effects and sounds.

- A music system that will play music from the players library.

- Battlescarred elements, or just the battle scars.

- Neon Signs.(or a neon paint for player created signs).

- Npc 'extras' as you would get in a film. Ability to give them basic pathing routes and animations/themes. (Beggar, drunk, security, shopper etc).

- Tv screens with various videos on, don't know if you could get them to show youtube vids.(on/off function).

- Roads/pathway surfaces.(thats probably just paint).

I would like to see invisible......

hehe.

I would like to see invisible(or small enough) and very elementary active elements such as:

- invisible hindges, rotation axes

- invisible translation rails

- invisible sensors

- invisible particules box

- ship piloting seat without cockpit

- engines reduced to mechanic parts without hull

- cockpit ui elements separatly

etc...

all those to be able to customize better the look of my creations, not be constrained into a variation of possibilities

The "ship piloting seat without cockpit" is already in the elements list, you see several on the space station video. 

As for - "engines reduced to mechanic parts without hull" you may noticed that that is recessed a little so you can build a 25 cm voxel shell and even smooth it a little. All the bigger engines appear naked. It's early days.

• 11 months later...
On 1.8.2016 at 9:48 PM, lethak said:

some more ideas:

Alarm Rotating Light (light emitter)

Reveal hidden contents

Functions:

• start
  • stop
  • changeColor(new color)

Events:

• started
  • stopped
  • colorChanged(oldColor, newColor)

http://www.federalsignal-indust.com/sites/default/files/slides/products/371_C_HRb.jpg

---------

Alarm Flashing Light

same functions and events as all above

------

Alarm Sirene (sound emitter)

Reveal hidden contents

Functions:

• start
  • stop
  • fadeIn
  • fadeOut
  • changeVolume(percent value)

Events:

• started
  • stopped
  • volumeChanged(old value, new value)

---------

Alarm Bell (sound emitter)

same functions and events as above

Reveal hidden contents

---------

Flat Screens (all size, sleek looking)

Curved Screens (all size)

Static Display Panel (would not require power to operate, cannot be changed once defined, like Rust's wood panels)

------

Global Positioning System / Inertial Navigation Unit (tl;dr: "YOU ARE HERE" on a planet, and in space )

------

IFF - Identification Friend or Foe

• Client: Broadcast (radar?radio?laser?) a user defined set of key/label like "callsign=DEIM Ship One" "type=passager transport"
  • Server: automatically capable of telling if a given client is friend or foe. (no need to overcomplexify the game by adding top secret crypto codes etc)

(wikipedia page)

------

Big searchlight

Reveal hidden contents

Functions:

• setPowered (on/off) -> rotation
  • startLight
  • stopLight
  • autoRotate(on/off)
  • setPosY(value)
  • setPosX(value)
  • setFocus(value)
  • changeColor(value)
  • trackTarget(target)

Events

• powered(on/off)
  • lightStarted(on/off)
  • autorotation(on/off)
  • tracking(on/off, target)
  • colorChanged(old value, new value)

http://glamox.com/upload/2011/06/22/xs_anti-pirate.jpg

IR Imagery / CCTV Camera

can be used as sensor for lifeforms detection from orbit or within a construct

Reveal hidden contents

Functions:

• setPowered (on/off)
  • autoRotate(on/off)
  • setPosY(value)
  • setPosX(value)
  • setFieldOfView(value)
  • getFeed -> used by display screen

Events

• powered(on/off)
  • autorotation(on/off)
  • PlanetaryConstrcutDetected(target)
  • SpaceConstructDetected(target)
  • LifeformDetected(target)

---------

Small / Medium / Large Telescope (deep space ship detection, planetary exploration / survey)

Reveal hidden contents

Functions:

• setPowered (on/off)
  • setFocus(value in percent)
  • setMinRange(value in percent)
  • setMaxRange(value in percent)

Events

• powered(on/off)
  • focusChanged(old value, new value)
  • minRangeChanged(old value, new value)
  • maxRangeChanged(old value, new value)
  • PlanetaryConstrcutDetected(accuracy)
  • DeepSpaceConstructDetected(accuracy)

i agree but custom sounds would be very cool too. maybe with a filesize limit or something like that.