Random thought - Communication lines? Antennae?

jintzy

A thought just occurred to me... if we will have scripting, and the scripts only execute while you are around... what about some kind of an implementation for line-of-sight antennae to run scripts?

So for example if we have a space station in orbit (if it were to in fact need to orbit as it sounds like they may) then it would not run remote actions while it is out of sight from the hq "city" for example.. what if we had the server run scripts remotely based on antennae line of sight? This could open up mechanics for e-warfare and deep intelligence as well... or deep-space networks for your org and possibly "renting out" bandwidth to other organizations... possibly hacking an enemy script as it is transmitted to a remote vessel.

I know that's out there, but I can't help but wonder how they will tackle the scripting configurations, or what we will be able to control remotely for example. Probably something that will come added later on.

I could probably explain better what I have in mind but it's not a well developed thought.

If you are talking about running scripts at the antenna you are at, and then sending the commands to the station in deep space or whatever, then yeah I think it's a good idea although perhaps limit sending a script through only one antenna per player at a time. It would open up a lot of cool possibilities as you said, though I'm not sure how it would work, because you'd have to be constanly remotely accessing all of that constructs elements, so it would probably be limited.

If you are talking about connecting two places with an antenna, and then being able to run scripts at either end of the antenna, then I'd have to disagree that that's a good idea. That would defeat part of the purpose of why you even have to be near your scripts to run them in the first place.

We know that there'll be something like that: elements capable of communicating from a distance up to a certain range, and with the ability to connect to each other to create a network (so that you can reach further through multiple of those elements), and this was discussed specifically regarding market units. So, if they think it's a good idea, it should be easy to add this possibility for other elements that have this need.