stars in the night sky

are stars in the night sky actual stars that you can go to? i played another game like this and it was great fun being able to just head to the direction and come across a star. it would be a shame if the stars in the sky are just background objects.

This isn't something that's known for sure yet. I really hope so. This was something promised with... you know. That game with all the empNMSty promises. I absolutely love the idea of being able to point at a star and head there to it; there's a game called Pulsar: Lost Colony on steam, there's a good chance most have heard of it. You can do that in that game; every star is an actual place to go to, and I love to just lul my ship about, point at a totally random star, and then travel to that particular star to see what's there. I love the concept of knowing that each star I pick will bring something different than all the others. I am sure there are other games like this as well.

It's also something I yearn to do in the real world; I wish so much I could just pick out some galaxy at random, and then pick out a star at random there, and know what's around that star. Even if it's just an asteroid belt, it would still be fascinating to know. This kind of thing has always been a dream of mine, but alas, quite unrealistic at this time.

Nevertheless, game's can still offer this awesome experience to some extent, and I really hope Dual Universe does. I mean, how cool would it be to finally create an interstellar ship, and look at all the stars before you, pick any one of them at random and fly to it and discover what's there, something no one else has found? And to know too, that had you picked the star just to the right of it, you'd have come across a completely different solar system light years away and radically changed all of your future adventures in the game.

I also recall JC saying they do want it to be that way, but even if it does end up being a skybox, they could generate the skybox based on where the actual stars are.

I believe I heard somewhere that stars are physical objects, but you can't go on it due it basically disintegrating your ship with heat, radiation, and gravity.

I don't think they implied physically landing on the star itself but within the stars planetary system.

Unless of course little green men showed up on your doorstep and gave you some advanced technology, I think we'd all be interested in that.   :P

Unigine 2 has background data-streaming capabilities, that means it can replicate the exact position of stars in a "stellar skybox"  Which is something JC spoken of in the DM21 interview.

On the actual planets it may be a sky box, although like others have said JC and NQ have said they'd love to make them be real stars, if possible. However, when it comes to traveling you can go to any star. I imagine there is some sort of scanning feature or galaxy map that lets you see all of the actual stars, and you can go to any of them you see there. 

As far as "just coming upon a star" is concerned, I doubt that would happen because it is expected to be at least a week or two of flying between stars. 

Starmade makes you die from damage getting too close. I kind of like that. Makes fighting close to the damaging edge of a star really tricky for fighters and other ships.

That is interesting. It takes "let's fight at the sun" to a whole new level

I could imagine an extremely heat (and radiation if it exists) resistance space station, so they get free solar energy from the sun, harder to fight them, and they don't have to worry about heating up their cofeve.

I could imagine an extremely heat (and radiation if it exists) resistance space station, so they get free solar energy from the sun, harder to fight them, and they don't have to worry about heating up their cofeve.

Expensive to build, but worth it in the long run. And who doesn't love hot covfefe?

I wonder if mining a star will be a thing? Either for some really bizarre and exotic resource or just for cheap energy....

Probably in the future you can use stars for an almost unlimited energy supply by either harnessing the solar rays or power plants. Directly extracting gases and pumping them into a factory for processing, burning and energy creation or pumping them into stations that pull the hydrogen and fill fuel cells

Probably in the future you can use stars for an almost unlimited energy supply by either harnessing the solar rays or power plants. Directly extracting gases and pumping them into a factory for processing, burning and energy creation or pumping them into stations that pull the hydrogen and fill fuel cells

Unlimited and controlled are not the same.

Having a dyson sphere and no batteries to store the energy, is like having no dyson sphere at all.

Unlimited and controlled are not the same.

Having a dyson sphere and no batteries to store the energy, is like having no dyson sphere at all.

Well, seeing unlimited is a unit of measuring an amount and controlled is a verb no they aren't the same  ;) .  That's why I said we extract the gases or harness solar rays for solar energy. It would need some starting energy but once you start efficiently converting power, you can just feed some power back into the sphere

I wonder if mining a star will be a thing? Either for some really bizarre and exotic resource or just for cheap energy....

Lets all try to build a Dyson Sphere around one and find out!  :D

It could be EXCITING!

Lets all try to build a Dyson Sphere around one and find out!   :D

It could be EXCITING!

I wish we could because it would be amazing, but based on the sizes and speed of building they have shown us, it could take a couple years

I wish we could because it would be amazing, but based on the sizes and speed of building they have shown us, it could take a couple years

It might take a while... but wow that would be an awesome creation achievement...  :D

Wonder how many planets we'd need to chop up to accomplish it... 

It might take a while... but wow that would be an awesome creation achievement...  :D

Wonder how many planets we'd need to chop up to accomplish it... 

There have been a couple very large, multi-year projects that have been talked about but if someone can design this, that would be incredible and probably take multiple planets of resources to make.

• 3 weeks later...

Empyrion does this. It has stars as well but you can see planets from other playfields. That being said that is a Super easy method and would be a list of planets, coords, distance, etc. You can't do that for this game so it would be one hell of a complex thing. What did NMS do? If I recalled their Stars were legit or no?

Either way I love to see it happen but it's going be quite complex.

I remember JC saying that currently they have the Stars (he said this about the Sun of the current Solar System we start in) only as a Skybox for the Day and Night Cycle. But the Engine should allow for an actual Star moving / Planets circling around the Sun and stuff like this. (Beyond Good and Evil 2 shows how this is done correctly though they use their own Tech).

I am optimistic that NQ will get this working, too.

I remember JC saying that currently they have the Stars (he said this about the Sun of the current Solar System we start in) only as a Skybox for the Day and Night Cycle. But the Engine should allow for an actual Star moving / Planets circling around the Sun and stuff like this. (Beyond Good and Evil 2 shows how this is done correctly though they use their own Tech).

I am optimistic that NQ will get this working, too.

Don't forget it's Ubisoft so they will remove half the features because they just like to upset people ;)