Two questions about Gameplay

banks456

As someone who is interested  in this game.  I have two questions .

First question :  

I remember reading that the weapons system will be auto targeting but is there anyway a player could take over a turret and move the turret with their mouse or controller and fire on a target ?  I've heard that are ways Developers can take a Eve style combat system and simulate manual firing of weapons because I don't mind auto target and auto firing of weapons but I would like the ability to manual fire a weapon on a large ship myself.   

My second question is. 

Is there any chance I can build my ship's blueprint  in a creative  mode type of game and test it in that mode against NPCs? So I won't have to waste resources on making tons of corrections to my ship in  normal game play?

It's not autofiring, it's tab-targeting. So basically what you have to do is: keeping the enemy in your crosshair. The game then emulates (based on your in-game skills, distance, movement, enemy skills and so on) your shot and calculates damage. There is no RL player skill involved other than keeping that enemy in the crosshair.

They planned on doing such a "Creative mode" but there is only the info that they think about adding such a thing. There are many discussions focussing on that topic and player ideas. It won't be offline or in singleplayer though and there are definitely NO NPCs

To add to what Lethys said.

NQ's system is more active lock-on, you have to "lock" every time you fire. 

Depending on the way you move and the ability of the opponent to "track" your movement (skill training ,weeapon weight or size) ther's a chance you'll miss the ttarget, ro deal reduced damage to them (cause glancing or grazing shots) with the amro the nemy providing resistnace to damage.

It may sound "boring" , but it's more or less what Gears of War and Mass Effect 1 (and Andromeda) use. Yes, hose two games are active lock-n, and it's excellently hidden. 

Also, anyone who ever held an LMG in their hands, know it's not easy to move around and pro mlg no scope with it. Ther'es a reason LMGs are for SUPPRESSING fire down on targets and not for whatever they are used for in FPS shooters.

Now, the devs have suggested a possibiility to have auto-targeting (or cycle targeting) in close quarters, but that's just a backlog at this point, not a confirmation.

Eh, it's more or less how EVE does things.

As for ships, you can manually select where to apply a damag bubble (simialr to how they do mining in the videos, same idea, different application). But you KINDA need to be skileld at what you choose to fire. If you find a crack o nthe enemy's hull, shoot inside their ship, you may actually blow something imporant up, who know,s maybe you can kill a bunch of guys INSIDE the enemy ship.

Also, like in EVE, you kinda have to keep track of transversals. If your wepaon has a nrage of 10 km with fallof ,and the enemy's tranversal is 100 km, you won't hit them , even at 5 km range. But if you got a good pilot he'll know how to help you by aligning the ship the right way.

Cheers!

To add to what Lethys said.

NQ's system is more active lock-on, you have to "lock" every time you fire. 

Depending on the way you move and the ability of the opponent to "track" your movement (skill training ,weeapon weight or size) ther's a chance you'll miss the ttarget, ro deal reduced damage to them (cause glancing or grazing shots) with the amro the nemy providing resistnace to damage.

It may sound "boring" , but it's more or less what Gears of War and Mass Effect 1 (and Andromeda) use. Yes, hose two games are active lock-n, and it's excellently hidden. 

Also, anyone who ever held an LMG in their hands, know it's not easy to move around and pro mlg no scope with it. Ther'es a reason LMGs are for SUPPRESSING fire down on targets and not for whatever they are used for in FPS shooters.

Now, the devs have suggested a possibiility to have auto-targeting (or cycle targeting) in close quarters, but that's just a backlog at this point, not a confirmation.

Eh, it's more or less how EVE does things.

As for ships, you can manually select where to apply a damag bubble (simialr to how they do mining in the videos, same idea, different application). But you KINDA need to be skileld at what you choose to fire. If you find a crack o nthe enemy's hull, shoot inside their ship, you may actually blow something imporant up, who know,s maybe you can kill a bunch of guys INSIDE the enemy ship.

Also, like in EVE, you kinda have to keep track of transversals. If your wepaon has a nrage of 10 km with fallof ,and the enemy's tranversal is 100 km, you won't hit them , even at 5 km range. But if you got a good pilot he'll know how to help you by aligning the ship the right way.

Cheers!

Thanks Captaintwerkmotor and Lehtys .  Well that doesn't sound as boring as I thought it might be.   I remember reading somewhere that players will be able to take control of the  turrets on your ship. So if I have control of a turret, I would be able to manually  track  the target and have to keep the target in the  cross hairs til the crosshairs turn red if i'm firing a cannon or laser ?.  if these devs can pull of something like Mass Effects where it doesn't feel like it's tab targeting then count me in.  

I'm glad they at least mention having some type of of a creative mode even if its a safe zone to develop your blueprints. 

Thanks Captaintwerkmotor and Lehtys .  Well that doesn't sound as boring as I thought it might be.   I remember reading somewhere that players will be able to take control of the  turrets on your ship. So if I have control of a turret, I would be able to manually  track  the target and have to keep the target in the  cross hairs til the crosshairs turn red if i'm firing a cannon or laser ?.  if these devs can pull of something like Mass Effects where it doesn't feel like it's tab targeting then count me in.  

I'm glad they at least mention having some type of of a creative mode even if its a safe zone to develop your blueprints. 

Well, it's more or less choosing where the damage will be applied, but if you don't know how distnaces work, you may end up missing or dealing reduced damage to the target cause you are not within range for 100% damage application, like how EVE is doing it, which is totally tied to how fast you are moving and your orientation.

The way the system works is simple, turrets track on their own, but you arre the person that has to decide WHEN they fire which is all about tacticsl. IF you afire a gun that has high tracking but little range at a target that's very far away, you'll end up missing them - especially if you and they move.

The Mass Effect example applies for the Avatar vs Avatar combat, the non-ship part of PvP. And yes, that's the idea, you need a person to control a turret for it to be able to target.

An action combat system (with you aiming) is usually considered more fun because requires some kind of "action" from the player (like aiming, dodging, ...) while a tab targeting system don't (you usually press one button to target, and spam other buttons to kill). But this doesn't necessarely means that tab targeting is boring or bad, it just means that the combat system doesn't ask from the player enough "actions" or better, it doesn't ask for enough interaction.

Combat in DU is all about managing a ship, its elements and crew (a fleet in large scale battles). It's about strategy, tactic and teamplay. To give you an example: imagine a moba or a RTS (tab targeting) vs an FPS (free aiming), the first is more about resources management and strategies, the second one is more about aim and reflex skill. 

I remember something about a build mode... where you're in a safe place where you can tinker and test your designs a little... Basically just their interactive parts or their flight characteristics.  I haven't heard anything suggesting there would be any sort of targets to test weapons on in such a build mode...  But that could be something added later.  Highly unlikely they'll have NPCs though.

IMHO having ability to try out ideas in some sort of creative mode is a cheat mode. I kind of like it as it is. Learn on mistakes with consequences will be closer to immerse game style. You need to research new types of hulls, materials used flight parameters... you need resources to do so. That's what drives economy to some extend, waste ;)

IMHO having ability to try out ideas in some sort of creative mode is a cheat mode. I kind of like it as it is. Learn on mistakes with consequences will be closer to immerse game style. You need to research new types of hulls, materials used flight parameters... you need resources to do so. That's what drives economy to some extend, waste ;)

I would like a way for players to push the limits of the game without having to be bogged down by resource constraints. Though it would decrease the amount of "great wonders" in the game...