Planets running out of resources?

I believe mined resources should not respawn so the worlds we scavenge actually get destroyed.

Well, that's the plan.

If Alioth is destroyed by mining, I'll start an environmental non-profit to save it.  :D

People, listen. Alioth is a huge planet. We have a huge starting area. 20Km. Planet is 100km? I forget. It is going to take months for Alpha to figure out the bugs and server tolerance. Beta probably hash out economy balance since there will be much more players coming into beta. More months go by of testing and messing with NQs system because you can always count on players finding loop holes. Problems like our starting world running out of resources around the Ark and/or the planet itself will have been solved by either NQ or the player base. By release day we early access ypes will have a system ready to go, either together or each Orgs method to the madness. Hell i can see the area around the ark becoming a beautiful area because players found that digging everywhere around the ark made players sad pandas. Signs point new guys away from the Ark to a beginner mining area, Org HQs rise like sky-rises around a central courtyard built around the Ark. Artistic statues from talented builders dot the courtyard and recruiters walking around talking to newbros. We will figure it out guys. Don't you worry about enough cash, or minerals. That's what wars are for hehe. (P.S. I see capture of enemy constructs being a thing since we don't want to destroy our precious resources.)

What do you do when you start in a theme park MMO?

I join a faction... and go around talking to NPCs about the various rolls... and then choose one.

The goal is for Players to fill that structure themselves.  So you'll enter the game and research which large Org to join... and then you'll talk to people to find a roll you enjoy and are given tasks to teach you how to do it and which are beneficial to the org as a whole.  One Roll could be mining.  Another could be shipping... or loading cargo... or lua scripting... or building...

The point is to make a virtual world where people can function is as many different ways as they do in real life. And real life like pressures that keep people grouped up will have to be used.  Fuel cost... tech limitations... time to travel and cargo capacity... and yes finite resources are needed to make the world as dynamic and changing as desired.

Including any transferable assets into a trial account would be indeed a supid idea.

Yeah, which is why they need to default trial accounts' money after a period, so the total monetary sum in circulation won't have to be inflated.

Yeah, which is why they need to default trial accounts' money after a period, so the total monetary sum in circulation won't have to be inflated.

Well, I was thinking it could be a loan, and (possibly) you can't buy any DACs with in-game cash unless the debt is paid off. Of course, it *may* cause large flux in inflation/deflation and potentially make the currency unstable if the money pops and disappears out of nowhere.  Also, shouldn't a currency be inflated proportionally to the population? 

Say me and 9 other people have $10 in total which we trade for goods and stuff. But another 10 people joins the club or whatever. Suddenly, the money is circulated among double the people so we end up with these possible scenarios.:

• Prices stay the same, everyone can afford less in general
  • Prices decrease so people can afford things as before
  • The 10 newbies are dirt-poor

OR...

• 10 more dollars are added to the system, business goes as usual.
  • I am completely wrong and should GTFO of this forum.

Well, I was thinking it could be a loan, and (possibly) you can't buy any DACs with in-game cash unless the debt is paid off. Of course, it *may* cause large flux in inflation/deflation and potentially make the currency unstable if the money pops and disappears out of nowhere.  Also, shouldn't a currency be inflated proportionally to the population? 

Say me and 9 other people have $10 in total which we trade for goods and stuff. But another 10 people joins the club or whatever. Suddenly, the money is circulated among double the people so we end up with these possible scenarios.:

• Prices stay the same, everyone can afford less in general
  • Prices decrease so people can afford things as before
  • The 10 newbies are dirt-poor

OR...

• 10 more dollars are added to the system, business goes as usual.
  • I am completely wrong and should GTFO of this forum.

More money in circulation, even if not actively moving, are still money in circulation.  Having TRIAL accounts reset their money after a period is actually making sense, since itm eans no money are being flushed down the toilet with trial accounts. 

Scarcity is a matter of perspective.

Ore "A" on Planet X might be almost completely lacking it.

Ore "A" on Planet Y might be somewhat abundant.

Ore "A" on Planet Z might be completely filled with it.

Obviously, you simply cannot say Ore "A" is extremely rare, but cannot say it is abundant on every planet.

But if everyone flocks to Planet Z for Ore "A", and mines the non-renewable resource, Planet Y is now the new Planet Z, and Planet X is the new Planet Y.

You now have a somewhat weird chart compared to the old chart:

Ore "A" on Plant X has some "A" ore compared to Planet Z.

Ore "A" on Planet Y is now the new Planet Z, which means it has the more ore of the three planets.

Ore "A" on Planet Z is now much lower than both Planets.

But the amount of ore never changes. Trade-wise, the price of Ore "A" goes up, making Planet Y's market value in Ore "A" go up to match Planet Z's pre-mining market value.

More money in circulation, even if not actively moving, are still money in circulation.  Having TRIAL accounts reset their money after a period is actually making sense, since itm eans no money are being flushed down the toilet with trial accounts. 

But isn't the point of trial accounts not only to give people a chance to try it out but to allow people to get enough money to get DACs? And like I said before, money in circulation should be proportional to number of people that are circulating the money. 

Scarcity is a matter of perspective.

Ore "A" on Planet X might be almost completely lacking it.

Ore "A" on Planet Y might be somewhat abundant.

Ore "A" on Planet Z might be completely filled with it.

Obviously, you simply cannot say Ore "A" is extremely rare, but cannot say it is abundant on every planet.

But if everyone flocks to Planet Z for Ore "A", and mines the non-renewable resource, Planet Y is now the new Planet Z, and Planet X is the new Planet Y.

You now have a somewhat weird chart compared to the old chart:

Ore "A" on Plant X has some "A" ore compared to Planet Z.

Ore "A" on Planet Y is now the new Planet Z, which means it has the more ore of the three planets.

Ore "A" on Planet Z is now much lower than both Planets.

But the amount of ore never changes. Trade-wise, the price of Ore "A" goes up, making Planet Y's market value in Ore "A" go up to match Planet Z's pre-mining market value.

The ore disappears when it is converted into parts for building like engines or used for fuel. I am not sure if any salvage mechanics exists.

But isn't the point of trial accounts not only to give people a chance to try it out but to allow people to get enough money to get DACs? And like I said before, money in circulation should be proportional to number of people that are circulating the money. 

The ore disappears when it is converted into parts for building like engines or used for fuel. I am not sure if any salvage mechanics exists.

The reference of ore scarcity changes.

That aside, there should be some scavenging things (such as simply removing a voxel for its materials) or more advanced-gameplay things would exist for it.

But isn't the point of trial accounts not only to give people a chance to try it out but to allow people to get enough money to get DACs?

I think it's going to be difficult enough to make enough to buy a DAC that it wont be happening in trial accounts.

According to current predictions, DAC prices are going to crash for a time after release...

Some stupid people will sell their dac right after release. The moment when people realise that dacs are worth far far more, they'll hold on to it and they will rise. So perhaps some trial acc will be able to get lucky, but I suspect they'll at least need 6 months of solid skilltraining before they can buy dacs on a monthly basis

Besides, trial accounts can just convert cash into commodity? I also believe that all accounts will be given a(basically a DAC), so, I feel like it would be unfair to reset trial account cash, considering that money in circulation should be proportional to number of players so if the money were to be distributed across everyone, everyone would have an equal amount of purchasing power.

All this talk about planets but forgot 2 things.....

moons and astroid belts. The moon bit is trolling but asteroid belts do add a significant element into the gameplay of finding large quantities of ore and who cares about some rocks in space?

I would imagine that belt mining would eventually lead to gas mining like in EVE...

All this talk about planets but forgot 2 things.....

moons and astroid belts. The moon bit is trolling but asteroid belts do add a significant element into the gameplay of finding large quantities of ore and who cares about some rocks in space?

I would imagine that belt mining would eventually lead to gas mining like in EVE...

The original posters concern as I understand it... is that the easily obtained materials will be mined out of a planet in short order...  Which leaves new players no way to obtain the materials they would need to build a ship and go else where. 

I'm of the opinion that if the game has broad enough systems for players to take on the rolls NPCs did in past games... and we have the right mind set as a community that other players are just as valuable a resource as any ore... then the community will invent ways to get new players into the game... transport them and get them set up in a roll they enjoy.

The original posters concern as I understand it... is that the easily obtained materials will be mined out of a planet in short order...  Which leaves new players no way to obtain the materials they would need to build a ship and go else where. 

I'm of the opinion that if the game has broad enough systems for players to take on the rolls NPCs did in past games... and we have the right mind set as a community that other players are just as valuable a resource as any ore... then the community will invent ways to get new players into the game... transport them and get them set up in a roll they enjoy.

Will player trafficking be an issue in DU? I can imagine some troll organization promising a ride off-world and a job only to have them trapped in a secret underground fort in the middle of nowhere. But then again, there probably will be an effort to stop it. 

I really doubt it. Because once a troll org like that gets found out, everyone will stop working and talking to them. They may open up a new troll org so people have to learn again, but player names, and alts will be found out and villainised

I really doubt it. Because once a troll org like that gets found out, everyone will stop working and talking to them. They may open up a new troll org so people have to learn again, but player names, and alts will be found out and villainised

And bounties issued... and heck an epic rescue mission could occur.

Broad dynamic systems mean bad things can happen and personal drama can unfold. 

Lol I can actually see rescuing newbros as some basic missions or contacts in DU, for better or worse.

Hopefully the bounty system is taken more serious in DU than it is​ in EVE....

Well yeah, there will be scammers and people who try to imprison people or newbros but beside the fact that the community will know who they are fairly quickly and warn players, it also creates an oppertunity for gameplay. That's the beautiful thing in a sandbox.

And you can always kill yourself to respawn at the nearest Res-node

And you can always kill yourself to respawn at the nearest Res-node

Unless they take your weapons and lock you in a padded cell...

... unless there's like an automatic suicide button or something...

Unless they take your weapons and lock you in a padded cell...

... unless there's like an automatic suicide button or something...

I think the nature of this game will require a suicide button. NQ seems to be kinda unspecific about survival mechanics like food. Those mechanics usually act as suicide buttons of sorts. Without that it would be incredibly easy to trap an offline player forever in some box.