Planets running out of resources?

I think the nature of this game will require a suicide button. NQ seems to be kinda unspecific about survival mechanics like food. Those mechanics usually act as suicide buttons of sorts. Without that it would be incredibly easy to trap an offline player forever in some box.

Technically, you could manually activate the quantum resurrection mechanic to respawn at your RN or the Arkship.

Unless they take your weapons and lock you in a padded cell...

... unless there's like an automatic suicide button or something...

You can kill yourself. To prevent griefing. Would suck if you were stuck

To come back to the topic, I think the question need to be answered on a gameplay side:

Planetary resources are so huge that they are virtually inexhaustable, so the question is more like how could we interested in dealing with a resources shortage?

The expected answer is trade, but there is more:

- Industrial recycling : get rare stuff, avoid resources (and monney) wastage, build an eco-friendly industry and civilisation.

- scavenging : get easily rare stuff and make profit, prevent dangerous equipment and weapons from spreading, clean up wrecks which are a danger for navigation.

So, a recycling gameplay seems as interesting as a mining gameplay to me.

To come back to the topic, I think the question need to be answered on a gameplay side:

Planets resources are so huge that they are virtually inexhaustable, so the question is more like how could we interested in dealing with a resources shortage?

- Industrial recycling : get rare stuff, avoid resources (and monney) wastage, build an eco-friendly industry and civilisation.

- scavenging : get easily rare stuff and make profit, prevent dangerous equipment and weapons from spreading, clean up wrecks which are a danger for navigation.

indeed.  A player should be able to disassemble their own creations and get all the resources back... But I could also see abandoned structures remaining in the world and being able to go out and recover the resources that went into them.  I'm not sure about ships... all of this is speculation anyway... but I haven't really seen much about what happens to a ship after it's disabled... does it blow up completely and the resources that went into it lost?  or does it break apart and remain for salvagers to come collect it's valuable component parts?

Ships are voxels, like planets or asteroids, so it is expected that the wreckage remains until someone interacts with it.

If someone just abandoned it sure... But what if it was "destroyed" in a battle?  How Destroyed is it?  When it dissapears in a blinding fire ball... what it left?  A derelict hull full of holes that can be salvaged for its components?  or neat boxes containing the materials that can then be looted by the ships that were engaged in the battle?  Or Nothing?

That's a good question, I suppose It will be like explosions and shots re-shaping voxels, just like mining shape the landscape. Derelics hulls and loot crates are tricks to use less calculation power, or because ships are made once and for all by the devs. A scavenging tech will probably work like mining, but in a wreckage.

Voxels technology allows to create 3D models in real time, so it would be weird that the DU devs don't use all this 3D potential.

The only limit is probably the servers power and their optimization: for instance, games like Space Ingineers (with ships made of 3D blocks) have lag issues because of the huge amont of wrecks that spread everywhere after a battle or a crash. Admins from private servers need to clean them very frequently.

Planetary resources are so huge that they are virtually inexhaustable, so the question is more like how could we interested in dealing with a resources shortage?

On the other hand, Allioth probably be one of the most, if not the most, crowded planets since a lot of people start on it. So, what seems like a lot for a couple hundred people will probably run short for 10s of thousands of people. And a recycling gameplay will probably need cash to begin with, which brings us back to starting cash.

AND DON'T MENTION THE INFLATION. THE ADDITIONAL PLAYERS WILL OFFSET THAT.

Lol I can actually see rescuing newbros as some basic missions or contacts in DU, for better or worse.

Hopefully the bounty system is taken more serious in DU than it is​ in EVE....

This actually happened in Eve. Group would pull newbs to null and trap tgen there with all their stuff and no way out. Group of pirates banded together for a rescue.

As for resources at spawn, we won't really know until at least alpha. There we will start getting numbers on density and mining rates. Thats part of alpha, not just bug finding, but game balancing.

Once were in alpha where we can judge the severity of the problem we can determine if some proposed plans like a new spawn will be viable or of something else is needed.

Would be great to have an overhead timelapse

That would be so hard to do. Someone's account would have to be dedicated to sitting atop a tower look down

The hard part is properly finding the same spot and angle everyday and then remembering to take the picture.

At least for time laps a few days missing here and there would not break it.

Resources don't regenerate.

Let's define:

-LLR (low level resources): common in large quantities

-HLR (High level resources): rare in small quantities

-P1 starting planet, Px other planets

1)HLR on P1 run out before LLR (consequence of game balance)

2)Players move to Px for more HLR, and they'll mine LLR there too (for convenience)

3)This means less people mining on P1 for LLR, so they'll take more time to run out

4)The more time passes, the more the mining rate of LLR on P1 will go down (same for other planets)

Now let's add a new variable: rarity R. With time, LLR on P1 are running out, so their R (rarity) will go from "common" to "rare". This means that it's not going to be convenient for a miner to look for rare LLR on P1 and no HLR, instead they'll go on a fresh planet where they can mine common LLR and rare HLR. 

In conclusion:

-Since all this scales with time, a planet will never run out of LLR unless a group of players tries to make that happen on purpose ( it would take a lot of time, considering planet surface and planet depth, and wouldn't even be profitable)

-A planet can run out of HLR to a certain degree (maybe there's still a few pieces of materials somewhere hidden underground, but extremely rare)

-New players will be able to mine LLR for a certain period of time from release, after that technology will be so advanced that they'll easily buy a basic ship from the market to fly on a different planet (or a different solution that devs will provide with expansions and patches after release). 

-Chances are that after a certain period of time, the landscape will be partially destroyed like minecraft (or the real world). It may be uglier, but the game is player driven, so if you don't like it, just create an organization with the purpose of filling the holes (or conquer your private land). 

Edit. I've seen on minecraft clans of players or servers with strict rules about digging holes without filling them, partially cutting trees, building 1x1 voxels towers, .... so an organization can easily do the same thing, and keep its territories pristine at least in appearence (the bigger the org the bigger the territory)

If resources don't regenerate then the game is going to die soon after it's launch.

If resources don't regenerate then the game is going to die soon after it's launch.

No, it's not. The universe is procedurally generated = infinite planets = infinite resources. But they don't regenerate, so you have to move to other planets to get them.

No, it's not. The universe is procedurally generated = infinite planets = infinite resources. But they don't regenerate, so you have to move to other planets to get them.

Yes, but as time progresses in a system where planet resources are finite it will become depleted, forcing people to move out wards from spawn.

how ever i think NQ has though about that in some way, perhaps there are asteroids belts that respawn

Yes, but as time progresses in a system where planet resources are finite it will become depleted, forcing people to move out wards from spawn.

how ever i think NQ has though about that in some way, perhaps there are asteroids belts that respawn

there are no asteroid respawning. Forcing people to move out is a good way to promote exploration and a dynamic environment, did you really think that was a bad thing?

yes, leaving the game world in an ever increasing barren state is bad.

if we assume you can harvest everything, it will not take long before all there is left is a barren waste land.

yes, leaving the game world in an ever increasing barren state is bad.

if we assume you can harvest everything, it will not take long before all there is left is a barren waste land.

Covered in Storage buildings.... and offices and shops and player houses... just like real life.

As stated, they intend to make the players move when they harvested the resources and go into far away expedition becomes economically inviable.

Also, once moved far from spawn we will discover new spawn locations (new arkships).