Arkification

Godrath

Arkification

Lightly touched on by the TU devblog post, and encouraged to open a dialog about their use. All further comments are my own opinion drawn from my years as a gamer.

The greatest benefit for having an Ark Zone is a second area to have your builders, solo players, new people, generally non pvp people a place to settle. This would clear up the first Ark Zone later in the game, when ...hopefully... there will be a much greater player base to work with.

Now this Ark zone would be owned by a player or organization. I would hope that a community oriented person or org would be placing this new Ark Zone. The atmosphere an Ark Zone promotes is a sence of safety and community. The great minds that have build gorgeous castles, city replicas, and to scale ships from TV and what not will finally have a place to take months on their projects.

It is of my opinion that Ark Zone tokens should be the way to go. Novaquark dictates the amount of Ark Zones allowed in the world, and releases them as needed. Maybe with a global news cast about a token being found so it would be up to our explorers to go find them.

Relevant links

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/07/24/territory-control/

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2014/09/13/arkship-security-or-where-does-pvp-starts/

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2017/03/31/organizations-purpose-management/

Thoughts?

Well its likely that players would horde the ones they found or sell them to get super rich. Then some org will buy it and place it in a area with lots of resources and not tell anybody where it is.

I don't see how this could work in a game like this.  

I believe the idea is that after a while the first arc zone will get old and used up.  At this time a new arc zone may be discovered on a distant planet and everyone may get the opportunity to switch over to the new starting zone. I do hope that it will be found through exploration.  Though I expect there to be other interesting "secrets" to find through exploration (of which there are at least 6 from kickstarter Kyrium backers).

Besides what people have already posted (there will be more ark zones in the future for newer players) I have one major problem with your suggestion: such a safezone (truly safe, not some protection bubble!) has to be run by NQ and not some players/orgs. They will hilariously kill everyone within that zone. And if that's not possible then it's just an unfair advantage for that player/org because they would get huge amounts of quanta and no-one would be ablea to stop them from doing so

I would rather that arkships and true safe zones have to be discovered, rather than made. They did mention a safe-zone-like shield emitter which would be difficult and expensive to build and could be captured or destroyed, and I do think that that is good addition later in the game.

This OP makes me ponder...

If the Arkship is organization-owned, then what particular benefits would that org get? 

What exactly would they "control" or change? Like possibly tax rates from their citizens or something else?  -- I ask this because once you mention the word "own" then the other aspects (steal, fight, spy, etc.) come into existence as possibilities.  I would imagine orgs would fight battles over ownership.

People should have reasons to want to be under the guise of a certain arkship vs another.

If an org owns an arkship what is to keep them from abandoning it?

Where does NQ come into this equation?

This is a genuinely interesting topic to me. 

If the Arkship is organization-owned, then what particular benefits would that org get? 

What exactly would they "control" or change? Like possibly tax rates from their citizens or something else?  -- I ask this because once you mention the word "own" then the other aspects (steal, fight, spy, etc.) come into existence as possibilities.  I would imagine orgs would fight battles over ownership.

People should have reasons to want to be under the guise of a certain arkship vs another.

IF arkzones COULD be player owned, NQ has to make sure that:

- no fighting at any time, anywhere in that zone

- other players who built something there have to be completely safe (incl. all their constructs)

- IF taxes can be adjusted, there needs to be a hard limit there or at least you have to be sure that you don't lose your hard earned constructs (owner change -> you lose your city you built with your org in 4 years - that's just a bad mechanic)

It would be a probably fun mechanic to let players control them and earn money with it but I think permanent safezones should be in NQs hand only

Which is why NQ ditched off the idea of Arkzones owned by players. Arkzones are meant to be neutral territories. You pay a rent in them that goes up the more people live in the safezone.

Player-owned Protection Bubbles or Shields are not Safezones, tey are "Safer" zones. You live under a playe org's roof and protection, you pay a rent again. Those shields and Protection Bubbles are not free. And those Protection Bubbles and Shields can be taken down with a siege, they aren ot forever. Arkzones are immune to damage - period.

This is why NQ can't allow players to own arkships.

@CaptainTwerkmotor

So Arkzones, as neutral territory, will allow anyone to do anything in them except what? fire weapons and take damage? Basically a safe, unstructured sandbox for noobs to learn basic game mechanics, right?

@CaptainTwerkmotor

So Arkzones, as neutral territory, will allow anyone to do anything in them except what? fire weapons and take damage? Basically a safe, unstructured sandbox for noobs to learn basic game mechanics, right?

I'm not twerk (although many think I am) but yes

Thread title makes me think of Red Hot Chili Peppers ...

Ark-i-fi-ca-tiooonn ... Oh yeah

funny enough, if you change a few lyrics and the hook, it's suited for DU.

"Space may be the final frontier,

but it's made ia French indie studio.

Baillie can you hear the carebears,

whining after we boarded their station,

and Allioth is far away for them

to have Arkification."

*Destroys said bubble*

Yeah... cause NQ are a bunch of silly devs that don't know of this...

The RDMS is in place to make certain people won't hurr-durr go and blow up a Protection Bubble module so easily.

IF you mean SABOTAGE, that in itself is not trolling. Welcome to a Sandbox. People wil lbackstab you if yo uaren ot careful.

Yeah... cause NQ are a bunch of silly devs that don't know of this...

The RDMS is in place to make certain people won't hurr-durr go and blow up a Protection Bubble module so easily.

IF you mean SABOTAGE, that in itself is not trolling. Welcome to a Sandbox. People wil lbackstab you if yo uaren ot careful.

I'm pretty sure the bubble is destroy-able in some form. 

I'm pretty sure the bubble is destroy-able in some form.

Yes it is, there's a 48h timer from first attack until it can be destroyed

Edit: what twerk meant is that you can't take that bubble down earlier if you fuck with lua or controls