Ore Refining

0something0

How realistic will ore refining be? Is it as simple as chucking it into a magic refinery 2000? or do you need to get pitchblende ore, crush it up and dissolve it in water, leach it with sulfuric acid, filter it, separate the uranium by ion exchange, precipitated from the solution, filtered, turn it into uranium hexafluoride, and then put it into a centrifuge to separate the u-235 and get it into reactor-grade uranium?

sprucehttp://www.world-nuclear.org/nuclear-basics/how-is-uranium-ore-made-into-nuclear-fuel.aspx

And I imagine if it is the latter, its going to require a lot of skill. I remember somebody posting that he would like see more specilized fields, and I feel like this is heavily going to need it/

At this moment in game development, we don't know much about the resource gathering system. I believe that it will be somewhat simple.

What makes you assume that?

Just an assumption, but I think making players learn two entire real-life skill (chemistry + smelting... haha thats a lot) is a bit excessive. I think having players research a bit is good but we don't want Dual Universe to be a second school, now do we?

Just an assumption, but I think making players learn two entire real-life skill (chemistry + smelting... haha thats a lot) is a bit excessive. I think having players research a bit is good but we don't want Dual Universe to be a second school, now do we?

No we don't. I agree with having some complexity. I was just wondering if there was any reason for having that assumption.

Lynkx makes a good point, I think if we have something like Mekanism's idea, 2x or 3x ore is easy, but if you want more metal per ore you gotta put effort in.

If DU has tiered smelteries that is made of multiple blocks, that'll be awesome!

JC has said that some of the inspiration comes from playing things like Industrial Craft (The Minecraft Mod with Nuclear Power) and the like. 

(Interviewer) Awesome, so I heard… did you play vanilla minecraft or did you play modded minecraft or both?

JC - Both, in the modded minecraft I played something called industrial-craft and I think this is really cool, and we will probably, and again maybe not at release but in the long term view, I would like to have something that is fairly complex on the industrial side so you can have chemistry, refining, intermediary machines you need to build.  So you need… building an industrial  {?} chain would be  {?} extremely inspiring. Again, probably not in the release of the game, I’m saying that all the time but we have to be clear, but this is the kind of things we like.  And I like a lot.

http://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:DU_Explorers_Interview_(Sep_17,_2016). (The link to the interview is on that page too, I just didn't want to clutter your thread with youtube videos) 

JC has said that some of the inspiration comes from playing things like Industrial Craft (The Minecraft Mod with Nuclear Power) and the like. 

http://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive:DU_Explorers_Interview_(Sep_17,_2016). (The link to the interview is on that page too, I just didn't want to clutter your thread with youtube videos) 

Nice, but IC2 is only the base, i hope they research and test a full industial minecraft modepack, 

Specialy with Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, logistic pipes, and so on...

Tthere is a lot nice industrial and machinery mods that can be applied to refine steps, processing, transport, plant and crop, 

it makes minecraft becomes a great game and so can help inspire DU devs

Nice, but IC2 is only the base, i hope they research and test a full industial minecraft modepack, 

Specialy with Applied Energistics, Thermal Expansion, logistic pipes, and so on...

Tthere is a lot nice industrial and machinery mods that can be applied to refine steps, processing, transport, plant and crop, 

it makes minecraft becomes a great game and so can help inspire DU devs

Very unlikely, highly detailed crafting lines produe  a lot of server stress. 

I think the more ordinary materials will be magically produced by the nanoformer and advanced ones with some simple crafting mechanisms.

They look to be drawing from how most crafting game systems are doing it. SE, MC, being the closest i have seen to what they showed in the April dev video. Common mats able to be crafted on you through your nano former, and higher grade mats needing a construct or factory/crafting block to be processed.

Very unlikely, highly detailed crafting lines produe  a lot of server stress. 

I think the more ordinary materials will be magically produced by the nanoformer and advanced ones with some simple crafting mechanisms.

Not to much but not so few,

there has to be some complexity, and certain level of realism, now enough for you to need a bachelor to understand not not like primary scroll clay toys.... 

Factory setups are a fun part of the game and a kind of PVP, since makers would spend hours trying to achieve the best setup as possible

to gain production with a very clean and optimized factory.

Also not everybody needs to craft or refine mats, its an MMO game, ppl that don't like to craft or refine mats will be at fields piloting or fighting PVP

I think it should be something like the system in Mekanism. I'm pretty sure the Mekanism 6x ore processing actually comes from irl ore processing.  Also, I think while nanobots should be handy for small scale operations, you need dedicated equipment to do large scale ops. 

heck, nanites could do most small-scale things without having to learn how to do it yourself!

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'll get an ore refinery like in SpaceEngineers.

It's way more than only that. You have a furnace, a refinery, a furnace to add mother materials and so on. They go for a good economy, not a simple one