Creative Mode

0something0

it would make research and discovery really stupid, along with design, since you can just make everything in creative and then recreate it in the real world without wasting resources and such. if creative were to happen, this would just turn into who can think of the craziest construct and not be as challenging or competitive as it is set out to be at the moment.

They've definitely mentioned the possibility of some kind of virtual workshops within the game.  Like a private instance that you can test constructs in.

I wouldn't expect it to be a priority before launch.  But it would be cool at some point if they get around to it.

I don't really understand what people are worried about, as long as resources can't be transferred into the "real" game world.  The creative process is challenging enough as it is.  I don't think we need to worry about bottlenecking people's creativity.

I wouldn't mind it if,

- It is expensive to maintain and/or craft

- you can only use blocks unlocked by the person(s) using it

Then it is perfectly reasonable, just dont expect before Release!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a creative/godmode mode version of this? Name says it all.

Definitely not in singleplayer mode

They said that they think about some virtual mode for builders where they could try their builds or something (nothing fixed, not for release, possibly not before 2 years after launch).

But such a mode also affects the experience of others which has to be considered (I assume that people need to be logged in normally - no extra server or something cause that wouldn't make much sense):

Will the arkzone be filled with not moving people who work in that mode? Zombies who don't interact at all for days/weeks with others, just standing around in some safe zone to build in that mode to get a blueprint out of it? I understand that such a mode is convenient and would be a nice to have (I use SP creative in empyrion too for my constructs) - messing around with designs, deleting/adding things to see how it looks like without the fear of losing that stuff (to pirates and/or because you lose the material itself).

But on the other hand: wouldn't it be nice if building things was actually hard? That it's rewarding in itself because everyone knows how hard it is to build a huge station WITHOUT a creative mode so that every voxel/element/shape needs to be placed and planned carefully?

Wouldn't it be nice if building was an actual profession ingame because it's so hard to do huge/complicated stuff - perhaps good builders would be hired to build for alliances/orgs?

Wouldn't it be nice in a MMO if there would be the need for an overseer/planning guy who watches over people while they build something?

I'm no good builder, I need ages for simple things in SE or empyrion and I'm fine too with a creative mode ingame (although I wouldn't like to see so many zombies) so I wouldn't use that much - but I think it would be more beneficial to a MMO if you don't have such a mode

I don't really understand what people are worried about, as long as resources can't be transferred into the "real" game world.  The creative process is challenging enough as it is.  I don't think we need to worry about bottlenecking people's creativity.

I was surprised.

When the devs mentioned it everybody was happy about it.

Right, NQ spoke about an "inception" creative mod to create blueprints.

I agree with that, It's important to have a zone where it's possible to build freely all the prototypes and run many kinds of test.

Get the ability to create easily sophisticated blueprints take nothing to the need to organize all the making process: find the raw materials, set goals up, divide up tasks, etc.

I suppose that "making things harder is better" is more an ideology than a fact. This kind of game with a complex economy have to be understood with the appropriate epistemological strategy. So then, the appropriate approach with interconnected people is the systems theory.

A way of thinking such as "thing are better because this guy do the good thing" just doesn't make sense. It's a social approach based on social status, that is not a good way to describe huge economic or physical backgrounds.

Why? because behaviours are subjective and people can, because of the complexity of the game, adapt the gameplay to their needs or beliefs.

"Harder is better" is only one opinion among others (a huge mountain of opinions)...And the whole thing is expected to feed the game along an emergent process.

"Harder is better" is only one opinion among others (a huge mountain of opinions)...And the whole thing is expected to feed the game along an emergent process.

I get the vibe that a lot of the members of the community are expecting a super hardcore experience. But because of this they do not like any ideas that remove grind from the game. I am sure we all know grind is usually bad/boring/not fun. It's the exact gameplay people where saying wasn't fun when we where discussing F2P.

So please think this before you post:

Is this really fun, or is it a unnecessary bore to added artificially make the game "harder"?

I get the vibe that a lot of the members of the community are expecting a super hardcore experience. But because of this they do not like any ideas that remove grind from the game. I am sure we all know grind is usually bad/boring/not fun. It's the exact gameplay people where saying wasn't fun when we where discussing F2P.

So please think this before you post:

Is this really fun, or is it a unnecessary bore to added artificially make the game "harder"?

Well, your own answer prove you don't understand what you are talking about.

Simply because "really", "fun", "unnecessary", "bore", "artificially" and "harder" are subjective materials. And this subjectivity naturally aim to build a balance of power and a social order. Through aggressive and defensive patterns, a collective belief is shaped without a real insight or link with the physical reality.

This collective strategy creates a narcissistic vulnerability, which make the whole social system working as a periodic time bomb. When the bomb is about to explode and destroy the community, a scapegoat is automatically found to discharge all the violence and frustration accumulated.

Basically, we could call that: to confuse have an arguing and have an argument. This confusion triggers a psychological defense pattern, giving the delusion to be right.

So, to answer your irony, I would say that you haven't the insight or knowledge to even think what you are posting regarding this topic. As a lot of people on gaming forums, having unending or useless debates which, as a result, only restore some fading egos upon others.

Fortunately, NQ doesn't seem to fall into this trap. They have an appropriate answer to the "grind" or "boring" activities, by increasing the gameplay complexity.

In this way, NQ turns boring activites into valuable "job experience" which makes the whole game more interesting.

Well, your own answer prove you don't understand what you are talking about.

Simply because "really", "fun", "unnecessary", "bore", "artificially" and "harder" are subjective materials. And this subjectivity naturally aim to build a balance of power and a social order. Through aggressive and defensive patterns, a collective belief is shaped without a real insight or link with the physical reality.

This collective strategy creates a narcissistic vulnerability, which make the whole social system working as a periodic time bomb. When the bomb is about to explode and destroy the community, a scapegoat is automatically found to discharge all the violence and frustration accumulated.

Basically, we could call that: to confuse have an arguing and have an argument. This confusion triggers a psychological defense pattern, giving the delusion to be right.

So, to answer your irony, I would say that you haven't the insight or knowledge to even think what you are posting regarding this topic. As a lot of people on gaming forums, having unending or useless debates which, as a result, only restore some fading egos upon others.

Fortunately, NQ doesn't seem to fall into this trap. They have an appropriate answer to the "grind" or "boring" activities, by increasing the gameplay complexity.

In this way, NQ turns boring activites into valuable "job experience" which makes the whole game more interesting.

I did not understand most of that so I will respond to what I did understand.

"Simply because "really", "fun", "unnecessary", "bore", "artificially" and "harder" are subjective materials."

Yea, they are subjective. That dose not change that the majority would find repeating the same thing over and over and over boring.

"Fortunately, NQ doesn't seem to fall into this trap. They have an appropriate answer to the "grind" or "boring" activities, by increasing the gameplay complexity.

In this way, NQ turns boring activites into valuable "job experience" which makes the whole game more interesting."

Even complex things get boring when you do them over and over again.

Sorry this post is rushed I had to get back to something.

If you see it that way, then every game regardless of mechanics is boring simply by repetitive gameplay (like mining. Or smelting that ore. Or PvP. Or exploring). And that's just bs

ofc there should be mechanics /skills in place which have to be convenient and easy to understand to get every player started. But to me (in a MMO sandbox) mastering these mechanics/skills should be hard. Such a game isn't designed for 20h of gametime or a month - not even a year. This game is designed to be played for a very long time (lifetime sub - wink wink, nudge nudge). Yes there will be constant upgrades which will introduce new mechanics for players to explore and deal with but to me the core mechanics/skills should mean something too.

It should take a very long time to master hardskills

It should take a very long time to master softskills

Old characters should have an advantage over new players, because of the two skillsets mentioned above thus being very valuable to any org

If core mechanics are too easy to master, you don't really have a goal to get to. Specialization is key here

If you see it that way, then every game regardless of mechanics is boring simply by repetitive gameplay (like mining. Or smelting that ore. Or PvP. Or exploring). And that's just bs

ofc there should be mechanics /skills in place which have to be convenient and easy to understand to get every player started. But to me (in a MMO sandbox) mastering these mechanics/skills should be hard. Such a game isn't designed for 20h of gametime or a month - not even a year. This game is designed to be played for a very long time (lifetime sub - wink wink, nudge nudge). Yes there will be constant upgrades which will introduce new mechanics for players to explore and deal with but to me the core mechanics/skills should mean something too.

It should take a very long time to master hardskills

It should take a very long time to master softskills

Old characters should have an advantage over new players, because of the two skillsets mentioned above thus being very valuable to any org

If core mechanics are too easy to master, you don't really have a goal to get to. Specialization is key here

Ok, I don't disagree.  I was just trying to point out that a creative mode would remove a bore/frustration from the game. Which is not having enough resources to complete the ship your designing or not having enough inventory space.

Having a creative mode would also increase the quality of ships because people can have complete creative freedom when building.

I can not think of a down side that would make it not worth adding.

See my first post

But such a mode also affects the experience of others which has to be considered (I assume that people need to be logged in normally - no extra server or something cause that wouldn't make much sense):

Will the arkzone be filled with not moving people who work in that mode? Zombies who don't interact at all for days/weeks with others, just standing around in some safe zone to build in that mode to get a blueprint out of it?

I think a VR like thing would work better.

I don't see why they would even consider doing it the way your just unsuggested. For lack of a better word.

But on the other hand: wouldn't it be nice if building things was actually hard? That it's rewarding in itself because everyone knows how hard it is to build a huge station WITHOUT a creative mode so that every voxel/element/shape needs to be placed and planned carefully?

Since your ship will need to fit inside your ship assembly thingy I doubt you could make a blue print for a station that you could actually use. So it would still need to be placed by hand.

Wouldn't it be nice in a MMO if there would be the need for an overseer/planning guy who watches over people while they build something?

No I don't think that would be "nice". If anything it would make large builds impossible.

For anything saying it effects game play in a negative way I simply disagree.

I was thinking of a separate universe, or a singleplayer mode...

That would make the most sense. 

But I think more of a VR like room would work best. So no planets just a VR room which allows you to simulate things like pressure and gravity. Stuff like that.

I think a VR like thing would work better.

I don't see why they would even consider doing it the way your just unsuggested. For lack of a better word.

Since your ship will need to fit inside your ship assembly thingy I doubt you could make a blue print for a station that you could actually use. So it would still need to be placed by hand.

No I don't think that would be "nice". If anything it would make large builds impossible.

For anything saying it effects game play in a negative way I simply disagree.

Singleplayer will most likely not be introduced, even if it's only for some kind of creative mode. So you have to log in -> you manifest in the world of DU -> even if you enter such a VR room, you stand around like a Zombie (maybe NQ could write their ideas here to clarify?)

Small ships may be built by Blueprints as a whole without placing Voxels, but I doubt they do that for larger vessels, so yes, those would have to be build anyway by hand. So you NEED someone who is in charge anyway - and at heart DU is a multiplayer game that's why I think you should enforce that.

You could introduce such a VR room (and as I said, I can see why people want this) but you'd still need that overseer. Without such a VR room, big buildings/structures/ships would actually mean something and way way way more than with such a room. For actual convenience, gameplay and balancing issues I think they'll do it anyway - I'm just stating my opinion here :)

Singleplayer will most likely not be introduced, even if it's only for some kind of creative mode. So you have to log in -> you manifest in the world of DU -> even if you enter such a VR room, you stand around like a Zombie (maybe NQ could write their ideas here to clarify?)

Small ships may be built by Blueprints as a whole without placing Voxels, but I doubt they do that for larger vessels, so yes, those would have to be build anyway by hand. So you NEED someone who is in charge anyway - and at heart DU is a multiplayer game that's why I think you should enforce that.

You could introduce such a VR room (and as I said, I can see why people want this) but you'd still need that overseer. Without such a VR room, big buildings/structures/ships would actually mean something and way way way more than with such a room. For actual convenience, gameplay and balancing issues I think they'll do it anyway - I'm just stating my opinion here :)

I can't tell if you agree or disagree with me.

Edit: I reread it and now I understand. I respect your opinion. Lets just leave it at that. :)