Any plans for linux users?

• 1 month later...

I follow this game since last year, and am awaiting more word about Linux support.

I will DEFINITELY buy this game if Linux is supported.

The issue is that everyone says the same thing : If there is a market for it. But only a few dare break the barrier. It's vicious circle; Linux is a pretty awesome gaming platform, even more stable than Windows. Moreover, with Vulkan, I believe it is even better since Vulkan is meant to run on just about anything; making a game for Linux is more intelligent than supporting only Windows. Sure, there are more gamers on Windows, but this will change very soon. The Linux community is a loyal one, and from what I read on Steam, of all the comments I read, Linux users are often more courteous and understanding than others. It is my opinion and conclusion anyway.

But that aside, I read that the dev for this game already run DU in Linux... so why would it cost that much to make it available? Just release the game for Debian based distros since it's by far the most popular platform, notably Ubuntu and the derivatives; just target Steam OS.

Why waste development time on Linux when (according to Steam surveys) only 0.72% of people on Steam use Linux? It would make more sense to develop a version for OSX, but that's only 2.95% of user on Steam

Obviously, this doesn't take every game or situation into consideration but it does give you a good idea of what OS players are using to play games with.

steam-os-survey.png

Yeah, Linux and Gaming is something that doesn't really comply.

I guess if you are a Linux user, just install Windows as a second OS just for Gaming and use Linux for everything else.

Linux is just not worth it for Games.

Games supported on linux already

Personally I'm quite hopeful for seeing DU run on linux.
I think it is less upto the developers and more upto Linux users tbh ;P

If DUs in-game scripting resembles the likes of gmod,(pic below) I'm assuming there may be fellow programmers playing DU
And to be honest, i wouldn't be surprised to see it on Wines App List running in no time at all ;)

Image result for gmod wiremod spaceship

• 2 years later...

You can get quite far with virtualization with qemu I have a windows VM I use for malware research and out of curiosity I set one up for gaming a while ago.

Anti cheats don't flag that they're in a VM and you can get baremetal performance with passthrough. You just need to give the VM enough cores&ram so you have the horsepower to actually run the games. I use Arch, and you can find a great guide for how to set this up on the arch wiki.