Ideas for collision damage

Shynras

I honestly like the system you are proposing twerk , If i am correct a game at this scale we  cannot use Space engineers damage model it would be too demanding on servers and the PC , it would devolve into a lag fight or even the game just crashing.But if i am wrong it would be a cool system. 

I honestly like the system you are proposing twerk , If i am correct a game at this scale we  cannot use Space engineers damage model it would be too demanding on servers and the PC , it would devolve into a lag fight or even the game just crashing.But if i am wrong it would be a cool system. 

In no kind of MMO the Space Engineers model is applicable. The game won't be crashing ,but the servers would., If you calculate collisions on a voxel to voxel basis, you will run out of RAM on your server real quick. In my model, you only got a G tolernmace nad an HP loss ofr the whole ship. I't's not even Voxel HP it's just a bar that dictates how much your ship's part are hurt - including fuel tanks and capacitors.

What people fail to realise, is that NQ doesn't plan on aggragating damage - even for combat., at least not for launch. JC Baillie himself said so on the Kickstarter AMA video. People think it's space engineers or nothing. What I am simply suggesting is the same old falling damage mechanic used in games like Battlefield and Planetside 2, where your vehicle can have a "limit" on how much acceleration it can take before starting to take damage. Acceleration happens when stopping as well, it's just in the opposite direction of one's momentum.

So, whatever would happen to your jet fighter in Battlefield on a collision at high speeds - evne on landing vertically -0 the same would happen to a ship with the same G tolerance. BUT, in combat, voxels would act as the protection for the ship's vital systems - fue tanks , capacitors, etcetera.

It's the best of both worlds. Voxel armors and collision damage mechanics.