Orbital Mechanics

0something0

"Subluminal" covers a HUGE range of speeds.

Your example of 200km can be crossed in a fraction of a second at sub-light speeds.

Exactly what speed would you like to argue your point? So we can accurately continue this discussion.

Please, go back to school.

You warp at 0 m / s. You accelerate at a steady rate. You can't accelerate with 0.2 c. You accelerate with 50 G and slowlly build up the speed.

You clearly don't understand motion physics - and take this fact as it is, cause otherwise you are actively trolling.

You confuse speed, velocity and acceleration. Those three things are not the same subject.

You can fart your way to lightspeed. But it will take time.

You can accelerate to 0.00066 C to cross 200 km "in a split second", but guess what, it will take time. How much, depends on what you are flying. A freighter? Maybe it will take you 10 minutes, you fly a heavy ship, its inertia will be off the roof. A starfighter? Maybe 1 minute.

Unless you are that much ignorant physics-wise to think you will accelerate to a velocity of 0.00066 C in a split second. That's not how ... ANYTHING works.

You're just pulling stuff out of your ass.

Novaquark hasnt nailed down scale let alone speeds.

If you look at this from the 10,000 foot perspective, then it doesnt matter what the scale is. Its all relative.

From that perspective, and knowing that we have FTL drives, orbital mechanics of planetary bodies doesnt make sense.

I'd rather the devs focus their efforts on CvC and collision damage. For example...

You're just pulling stuff out of your ass.

Novaquark hasnt nailed down scale let alone speeds.

If you look at this from the 10,000 foot perspective, then it doesnt matter what the scale is. Its all relative.

From that perspective, and knowing that we have FTL drives, orbital mechanics of planetary bodies doesnt make sense.

I'd rather the devs focus their efforts on CvC and collision damage. For example...

... you do undersatnd the person that spoke about the Parabolic Flight and the OP of the thread, speak of trajectories around and towards planets... right????? Right? No, of course not. Like so many times, you jus don't get it - or lack the vocabuliary to communicate your thoughts, not sure yet.

What you clearly don't get, is what devs show you on DevDiaries, interviews, devblogs and of course, the programming involved. In the GC trailer, JC Baillie spoke of momentum on ships. ACCELERATION is irrelevant. I can FART my way to lightspeed. It will take time, sure, but it IS possible - do not confuse POSSIBLE with PLAUSIBLE, I will have well ran out of fuel around the 0.5 C mark, I know this level of SAT vocabulary is intense, but keep breathing, it will pass.

NQ can add 5G , 50G or 500G thrusters, if you buld a battleship out of gold, it won't budge for quite a while. You know, inertia, it's that thing that makes objects resist forces. This is how I will bounce you off of a stargate with my spaceship if you warp at 0 km and then rob you.

Now, please, learn how motion physics work. And consider this my charity. I give yo ua fre pass to say "I am sorry, I confsued acceleration with speed". The alternative is you are actively trolling.

And SINCE NQ hasnt finalized scale or speeds, they can set acceleration and deceleration at whatever rate they like.

Im not trolling.

Any rational reader can see that your arguement doesnt hold any weight, so you resort to ad hominem attacks.

Speed = Average Velocity from point A to point B

Acceleration = Rate of Velocity build-up per second squared.

Velocity = Current rate of parsing lengths per second.

Maximum Velocity = applies on things that react with friction.

Vacuum = Abyssmal to no friction, Drag Constant may vary from place to place.

Momentum = First Law of Motion. An object in motion, will maintain its velocity, until acted upon otherwise. If I reach a velocity of 0.5 c, I need to exert a negative acceleration (what pedestrians call decceleration) until I reach 0.5 C in the opposite direction until I reach an inertial frame of rest. DU has momentum. It's confirmed on the GDC stream.

Feel free to look at the GDC stream and what JC says, Air friction will be on planets depending on their atmosphere and your ship's aerodynamci profile will play a role (latest April DevDiary), so constructs will have a varying speed limit depedning on the planet they operate in.

You used to be funny at least man. Now you're just... sad.

Do you really think insults help with your argument?

Sad is an insult? Did it hurt your feelings... how? 

My arguement is solid, backed by facts. And you are now only sad.

o7

Guys, I think the amount of salt crystal buildup in the server is costing them lotta cash

The thing is, we can argue about how parabolas aren't needed at relativistic and ftl velocities all day long, but the place where we are going to use orbital mechanics the most is near planets when we are doing fine-tune movements.  I mean, we can just set the star to NOT have gravity, just planets only, especially considering the devs aren't planning to have orbits for the planets(a decision that I prefer be otherwise). Orbital mechanics will add quirks to combat...