Use of camera devices

El_Nadie

What about having static video cameras? I made a fast check on forums and dont see anything about that; I saw some post that talks about use cameras to control gunturrets and so but I dont refer to that.

First of all I have to say that I dont know if it already exists in other games or how hard would it be to implement it so I will throw some ideas:

- The core of this idea is to have a static device that bring you images or vision of a zone. Not recording video, just real time video.

- There would be a pure device who would be linked to a static core and drain energy and computing power from it to work, just like a surveillance closed camera system. Only could be linked to Static cores, not to Dinamic cores. Intended to have vision of a gate or your own base when it is attacked and you are far away.

- The other would be a portable system that works with batteries, they are stationary once installed and have a limited radio fo emision. They are intended to bring you info for example meanwhile you are focused mining an asteroid in a dangerous zone bringing you time to run away.

These devices, and mainly the portables ones, may be easily spotted and vulnerable to any kind of atack.

I see that idea could derivate in George Orwell's planets or be used to make mechs driven from a secure spot. Cause of that I will make enphasis in the static part But my idea is to keep it stick to this 2 devices.

If it is so hard to achieve I thought that a device who send you reports when someone go through his action radius would be enough.

Ideas and/or thoughts?

Regards and have a nice day.

I don't really see the use of such devices, except for RP reasons.

- Static core cams: Stargates will most likely be a very valuable asset. As such they will most likely be defended 24/7 anyway. If not stargates may have a shield with a 48h timer or some similar rule before they can be taken by hostiles. In both cases - no cam is needed.

If they don't have such security measures....what good is a camera when you're far away and can't do anything about an attack?

- Portable cams: those can be useful (as you said as "guards" while you mine or build a base) but why build a base alone? why not socialize and build a base together? Why longing for solo gameplay in a mmo? Why wanting elements for solo gameplay only?

They'll get to that, for now they're adding the most basic and easy to add elements. A sensor that tells you that your base it's being attacked it's not a big deal, while camera blocks may be harder to add, especially if you want to display them on a screen (means that you have to load a portion of map for each camera block even if there are no players there). It may be feasible to have a low update rate for those camera views, but it would still consume ram on the servers. Or maybe you could access those only by replacing completely your view, so you'd load only one portion of map at any given time. 

@Lethys I totally forgot about the protection bubble of static cores, so yes maybe not so efficient. But about the portables, since I consider myself as one of those who always keep in mind that it is a MMO and the constant need of socialize , I see the portable cams more like: "I'm mining or building with my pals and we doesnt have gear or ships to face a confrontation, better we put some cams to give us time to run away in case of danger". I want to say, to little crews who needs resources from every player of the crew probably they increase their income using this cams and not having a guy watching for danger.

@Shynras Thanks to your point about RAM consumption.

@Lethys I totally forgot about the protection bubble of static cores, so yes maybe not so efficient. But about the portables, since I consider myself as one of those who always keep in mind that it is a MMO and the constant need of socialize , I see the portable cams more like: "I'm mining or building with my pals and we doesnt have gear or ships to face a confrontation, better we put some cams to give us time to run away in case of danger". I want to say, to little crews who needs resources from every player of the crew probably they increase their income using this cams and not having a guy watching for danger.

@Shynras Thanks to your point about RAM consumption.

Yes I can see your intention there but if you haven't got the gear to protect yourself, you shouldn't be mining in dangerous zones. And those guards should be part of the mining op and get a share of the profit ofc, even though they might never have something to do. But in a sandbox MMO those jobs are needed and should be vital for any group

Definitively useful to have just like in reality, as your coverage area can greatly increase no matter if it is for a shop, base, house, ship or city.

I (literally) saw the advantages of those in G-Mod in an RP setting with active game play involved. Even used active cameras to catch a criminal once.

Well thinking about it, in a small ship

(probably 1-2 man crew

-> again it's not because it's a social game that being in a single ship with 4 ppl will be better than splitting the crew to 4 ships) ,

in a combat scenario, you could have cameras around your ship (perhaps in the back) to have a

greater awareness of the exact position of the guy chasing you, alowing you to do more prescise maneuvers ...

(even though radars will probably be a thing and somthing in the order of elite :Dangerous 's radar could be a great implement)

what if they where on something like a turret, and if someone was attacking you, you can choose to flea to your control room and attempt to shoot people via remote control

I always thought it would be cool if we could "view" our cameras while out of the game, like have a webcam type deal on a website for our faction for example where it updates once every few seconds.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually like this idea. At the very least, then you can have an actual security room that can see if people have snuck into a base or a room. That may sound useless, but it would be a lot easier to catch someone and weed them out if one person had good view on the entire structure so they could alert other players.

The portable cameras also would be good for solo missions, which I actually think can happen. If you're mining alone late at night when everyone else logged off, or if you're sneaking into a base to steal something and want to be able to see if someone is coming your way, it could be useful.

While I don't see them being necessary for alpha, I would like to see something like this in the future.

I agree cameras should be added to the game at least by full release launch. There are so many useful ways to utilize them. Want to know where those escaped Rathars went? Find them on camera. Pirates boarded your freighter? Find them on camera.