long travels - fun stuff

Dirk Baeyens

Hello,

If we have to make long travels in space will there be some fun stuff we

can do while we do the traveling?

Like for example input of music-files or video-files?

Reading manuals, communicating with other users, etc?

Just an idea. ;-)

Grtz, Dirk.

I'd like for there to be a need to have people doing -something- while traveling long distances, rather than downtime filler. 

ie, those warp drives should probably have an engineer around making sure they're working throughout their operation. It shouldn't be so much a "Fire and forget" mechanism because that leads to too much downtime. 

I've been playing Hellion on lately, and because the distances between planets are so enormous, there really isn't much to do when you engage warp. You sit around in a shaky ship waiting or alt-tabbing out to find another game to play or website to browse. 

I don't think there should be -no- downtime, but I'd like to see that minimized by having a purpose for those people on your ships. It will help to reduce the feeling that things are so far apart if we have something constructive (or necessary) to do. 

Now in terms of music files, or streaming audio in the game, I'd love to see that happen. There was someone who started a nightclub organization for building nightclubs around DU, and it will really help to bring RP-things like that to life if we can stream audio or embed audio of our own. I don't anticipate that will happen at release if it does happen, but they are the nice quality of life improvements that can make the world feel more "alive".

Hello,

If we have to make long travels in space will there be some fun stuff we

can do while we do the traveling?

Like for example input of music-files or video-files?

Reading manuals, communicating with other users, etc?

Just an idea. ;-)

Grtz, Dirk.

-you can chat

-you can interact with far away elements in a certain range (like you can access a market unit on a distant planet, if your communication technology has a good enough range, so you can check your auctions, order stuff, look at the bounties, ... since there are going to be many elements there could be a ton of stuff like those to do)

-you can walk inside the ship, you can play minigames i guess if you built them

-you can build. I'm not sure you can modify your main ship while it's travelling, but you can build a small fighter or something else inside your ship. 

-you can check, arrange your inventory, craft stuff, and so on.

-various dangerous encounters (maybe aliens, wormholes, and stuff like that) after release

The only doubt i have is, since there's no complete automation, maybe one player would be required to stay in the cockpit controlling the ship, so you may be limited in those activities if you're playing solo. 

-you can chat

-you can interact with far away elements in a certain range (like you can access a market unit on a distant planet, if your communication technology has a good enough range, so you can check your auctions, order stuff, look at the bounties, ... since there are going to be many elements there could be a ton of stuff like those to do)

-you can walk inside the ship, you can play minigames i guess if you built them

-you can build. I'm not sure you can modify your main ship while it's travelling, but you can build a small fighter or something else inside your ship. 

-you can check, arrange your inventory, craft stuff, and so on.

-various dangerous encounters (maybe aliens, wormholes, and stuff like that) after release

The only doubt i have is, since there's no complete automation, maybe one player would be required to stay in the cockpit controlling the ship, so you may be limited in those activities if you're playing solo. 

We don't know yet if you can interact with a market. Since they follow the eve model to some degree here it is somewhat safe to assume, but nothing is set in stone.

And wormholes, aliens and stuff aren't on the roadmap for a long time after release. If ever.

I'm all in for some maintenance while traveling. The pilot doesn't need to sit for hours and hours in his seat and constantly press w - that's why there is LUA. Let a script do the flying and just be online and near the construct (obviously....).

Depending on how long those travels are (days - weeks they said) I'm really curious how that'll work out for different players with different timezones and dead time on a ship....

We don't know yet if you can interact with a market. Since they follow the eve model to some degree here it is somewhat safe to assume, but nothing is set in stone.

And wormholes, aliens and stuff aren't on the roadmap for a long time after release. If ever.

I'm all in for some maintenance while traveling. The pilot doesn't need to sit for hours and hours in his seat and constantly press w - that's why there is LUA. Let a script do the flying and just be online and near the construct (obviously....).

Depending on how long those travels are (days - weeks they said) I'm really curious how that'll work out for different players with different timezones and dead time on a ship....

Again, I'm not going to check all over the internet to find the quote for you, but i'm sure i've seen an official statement saying that you'll be able to use your nanoformer to access distant elements like a market, to place buy orders (but then you still need to travel there and get the item). The range of this wireless communication depends on your skills. So if you're interested just go and look. Then, I didn't say wormholes and aliens are confirmed, there's a "maybe" there if you look closely, means that it may happen or it may not. 

Again, I'm not going to check all over the internet to find the quote for you, but i'm sure i've seen an official statement saying that you'll be able to use your nanoformer to access distant elements like a market, to place buy orders (but then you still need to travel there and get the item). The range of this wireless communication depends on your skills. So if you're interested just go and look. Then, I didn't say wormholes and aliens are confirmed, there's a "maybe" there if you look closely, means that it may happen or it may not. 

Yup, I checked and imho theres no such a thing confirmed by NQ (checking the market) - but as I said: Since they follow the eve model to some degree here it is somewhat safe to assume, but nothing is set in stone

• 2 weeks later...
The journey in space should also include fuel food and water for those trips

The bigger the ship the longer you can travel the smaller the ship the shorter you can fly then

People do not spread out too fast while remaining within areas of each other.

An interceptor would never be able to feed fuel or food for long journeys to planets that are far out compared to a large ship with cargo space etc ...

The journey in space should also include fuel food and water for those trips
The bigger the ship the longer you can travel the smaller the ship the shorter you can fly then
People do not spread out too fast while remaining within areas of each other.
An interceptor would never be able to feed fuel or food for long journeys to planets that are far out compared to a large ship with cargo space etc ...

Well, people are practically cyborgs, so they would need something like fuel or electricity to function. And yes, parts should wear out and needs to be replaced with new ones for optimal performance.