Voxel Textures

Arcus25

I'm not sure if it's the final texture but I think a lot of people would agree with me that the texture of the voxels looks very clay like. Are there plans to add metal textures or more textures in the future?

This would really be helpful for the builders if we had a wider selection of textures to choose from. It looks like in the videos we can choose the colours but are we also able to select a material?

It would be nice when we mine metal and place it down we receive a more metal texture with a reflective surface. If there are already plans to add this to the game then sorry for wasting everyone's time but it would improve the graphics and would also make a lot of builders happy.

I'm not sure if it's the final texture but I think a lot of people would agree with me that the texture of the voxels looks very clay like. Are there plans to add metal textures or more textures in the future?

This would really be helpful for the builders if we had a wider selection of textures to choose from. It looks like in the videos we can choose the colours but are we also able to select a material?

It would be nice when we mine metal and place it down we receive a more metal texture with a reflective surface. If there are already plans to add this to the game then sorry for wasting everyone's time but it would improve the graphics and would also make a lot of builders happy.

Hey dude, relax ....

its in alpha stage ... textures and lights will be improved later, its not time to care about cosmetics.. yet

Hey dude, relax ....

its in alpha stage ... textures and lights will be improved later, its not time to care about cosmetics.. yet

It doesn't take very long to add lighting effects to make a surface texture look more metal. It looks like they rushed the textures. This game is very ambitious so I guess they wanted to rush everything.

It doesn't take very long to add lighting effects to make a surface texture look more metal. It looks like they rushed the textures. This game is very ambitious so I guess they wanted to rush everything.

Ah... tweaking graphics is more than just "lolzies, throw it into photoshop".

Here's our old friend, Line of Detail, coming in. LOD means that on different distances, the object has different textures. If an object is 1000 meters ftrom you, its texture doesn't have to be 4K in resolution, but 1x1 pixel (or something along those lines). Same goes for 900 meters, and 800 meters, and 700 meters. At different ranges a different resolution to a texture needs to be added. And the Devs have to take int oaccount nausea inducing possible textures, so it's a lot of work.

So you see, it's FAR MORE WORK than you'd think, for something that's not a priority. When you build a car, you don't make your priority to paint it first.  As Lynkx said as well, it's something that's for Beta, not Alpha test priorities.

Ah... tweaking graphics is more than just "lolzies, throw it into photoshop".

Here's our old friend, Line of Detail, coming in. LOD means that on different distances, the object has different textures. If an object is 1000 meters ftrom you, its texture doesn't have to be 4K in resolution, but 1x1 pixel (or something along those lines). Same goes for 900 meters, and 800 meters, and 700 meters. At different ranges a different resolution to a texture needs to be added. And the Devs have to take int oaccount nausea inducing possible textures, so it's a lot of work.

So you see, it's FAR MORE WORK than you'd think, for something that's not a priority. When you build a car, you don't make your priority to paint it first.  As Lynkx said as well, it's something that's for Beta, not Alpha test priorities.

Please stop acting like an expert of game development xD

I already put a comment in the last topic.

About textures ... .

I just hope that, later on, 
Devs implement complete shader and textures support, PBR if possible, for US, players to use on our creations, 

with all layers, like normals, albedo, etc etc...
so we can create really great ships (in my case) but any construct or building, not staying behind  of Star Citzen or any other new generation games now days......

Please stop acting like an expert of game development xD

I already put a comment in the last topic.

His aways like that, you get use to it ..... 

About textures ... .

I just hope that, later on, 

Devs implement complete shader and textures support, PBR if possible, for US, players to use on our creations, 

with all layers, like normals, albedo, etc etc...

so we can create really great ships (in my case) but any construct or building, not staying behind  of Star Citzen or any other new generation games now days......

His aways like that, you get use to it ..... 

I don't mind the game having bad shaders and rendering. A lot of buildings in an area and fancy shaders and rendering would be hell for people's FPS. But something like clicking once to add a reflective surface to every texture (if they're using the right program or script it themselves) is easy and won't take up much time. Hopefully it's something that gets added later on. I would love to see some extra textures and reflective metal surfaces.

Also what are they using to optimize the planet's surface. LOD distance rendering is not going to do everything. Are they using distance fog, world blocks or anything like that?

I don't mind the game having bad shaders and rendering. A lot of buildings in an area and fancy shaders and rendering would be hell for people's FPS. But something like clicking once to add a reflective surface to every texture (if they're using the right program or script it themselves) is easy and won't take up much time. Hopefully it's something that gets added later on. I would love to see some extra textures and reflective metal surfaces.

Also what are they using to optimize the planet's surface. LOD distance rendering is not going to do everything. Are they using distance fog, world blocks or anything like that?

Magic.

Welcome, I see you've been properly introduced to CaptainTwerkmotor.

I thought in their last videos one of the ships looked kind of reflective. And in the asteroid base building video, they use some voxels that have patterns on them. The graphics are still a WIP so hopefully we'll see some more interesting updates to that.

It's PRE-alpha. Not even alpha. Nor beta or release. There's no need to add shiny stuff now (beyond the neccessary) as they should (and will) focus on core game mechanics like server tech and building. They will polish DU for sure, but now's not the time for that

Magic.

Actually,  I like Twerk's response.

Its pre-alpha.  A lot of stuff will change between now and release, and your opinion on what tools they decide to ultimately use is meaningless at this point.

Take a look at the dev blogs, but you're most likely NOT going to get these types of questions answered by ANY developer at this stage of development.

Thanks for the in depth explanation CaptainTwerkmotor xD

Seriously?  In one post you tell Twerk to stop acting like an expert, (I've seen nothing from you to suggest you would know he is not.) in another, you sardonically comment on his downplayed response.  Make up your mind.

As for the actual rendering and shading,  you might want to reserve judgment.  Even if it were as simple as you make it out to be.  You are making an assumption on what the quality SHOULD be at a point of the game this early in development.  

Actually,  I like Twerk's response.

Its pre-alpha.  A lot of stuff will change between now and release, and your opinion on what tools they decide to ultimately use is meaningless at this point.

Take a look at the dev blogs, but you're most likely NOT going to get these types of questions answered by ANY developer at this stage of development.

Best part is the Devs have explained that they had to design and update on the current texture baking techniques and LOD to get the worlds to be not load intense.

But hey, "can I haz detailed answers on new techs? kthxbai"

Ther's no winning a debate with people that don't bother even looking at the videos NQ has man... DevBlogs, I can understand, they havea a wall of text. But videos? :|

Reflective metal? I have a sneaky suspicion it has been done.

That does look they've already done it but I was mostly talking about the textures. If you look at the textures you'll see what I mean by "clay like". Also to everyone else that's complaining that I'm saying to add this now or in the alpha I did say (if you read my whole post):

Are there plans to add metal textures or more textures in the future?

If there are already plans to add this to the game then sorry for wasting everyone's time but it would improve the graphics and would also make a lot of builders happy.

That does look they've already done it but I was mostly talking about the textures. If you look at the textures you'll see what I mean by "clay like". Also to everyone else that's complaining that I'm saying to add this now or in the alpha I did say (if you read my whole post):

Don't worry they'll add that kind of textures soon, they started working on the crafting system (and all the basic materials and voxels) now. Btw idc if they don't. 

I think JC says it best at the beginning of very dev diary:

Remember that the gameplay we show here is work in progress, pre-alpha, and many elements are placeholders and non-final.

I don't see what you mean by "clay-like". The metal structure built in the video looks very "metal-like". YMMV.