Questions about possible DU problems

I have 4 concerns that I would liked to be answered.

1: Griefing: Mainly what would happen when you spend ages building a massive ship then log off. Does it stay floating in space as a target for griefers or does it log off with you or have some kind of protection? Also what about bases. Are they protected by territory or are people free to come over and destroy or build around your base blocking you in?

2. Hackers: I would like to know what kind of anti-cheating the game will be using. Is it using a custom one or pre-made one? Also the LUA could be a problem if it's using actual lua script. People might be able to use it to spawn things in or gain the upper hand. Is there any protection against this?

3. Memory usage: A lot of people know sandbox games can be very demanding on memory. Will we require a lot of memory to play the game and will we be expecting a lot of memory crashes when players build cities? I heard there will be no limit to what people can build. Is there going to be server wipes?

4. Server stability: Mainly I want to know if there are going to be regional servers? There most likely will be but if there isn't then player ping would really cause a problem. Also will the servers be able to hold the amount of people that will be flooding onto the game on release?

1. Big Shisp are meant for Big Groups. Big Groups got logistical support, that includes security.

2. You can't really hack the game, it's not CoD, it's not peer-2-peer, if your numbers don't add up on the server, you will be identified immediately.

3. It's procedural generation. I don't got time to explain discrete mathematics, algorithms and radnom access memory sructure. More or less, the game can hold a range of voxel templats, that the game engne copy=pastes to create the  scenery. That singificantly reduces the memory load. More or less, computer magic and trickery. 

4. Like 3. I don't got the time to explain what the Cloud is, but here's a quick example. 

1000 people are in an area. thatm eans those 1000 people are in on server (pretty easy in-fact to hold them in one server-blade). But now 100 people join in. One server can't handle it, so NQ's datacenter recruits a server-blade - possibly right nexto thehe original server-blade - and links the two to make a Server Cluster.  It's not "1 server for the whole game" is 1 server per numerical and regional demographics. That also means the game can't really suffer from "overload" on a server, as the nature of the server-tech means the moment a blade begins to crack under its own load, it will havae another server help out.

Also, the game has 1 single-shard server. There won't be regional servers. Just one big sandbox, like EVE Online. 

1. Big Shisp are meant for Big Groups. Big Groups got logistical support, that includes security.

2. You can't really hack the game, it's not CoD, it's not peer-2-peer, if your numbers don't add up on the server, you will be identified immediately.

3. It's procedural generation. I don't got time to explain discrete mathematics, algorithms and radnom access memory sructure. More or less, the game can hold a range of voxel templats, that the game engne copy=pastes to create the  scenery. That singificantly reduces the memory load. More or less, computer magic and trickery. 

4. Like 3. I don't got the time to explain what the Cloud is, but here's a quick example. 

1000 people are in an area. thatm eans those 1000 people are in on server (pretty easy in-fact to hold them in one server-blade). But now 100 people join in. One server can't handle it, so NQ's datacenter recruits a server-blade - possibly right nexto thehe original server-blade - and links the two to make a Server Cluster.  It's not "1 server for the whole game" is 1 server per numerical and regional demographics. That also means the game can't really suffer from "overload" on a server, as the nature of the server-tech means the moment a blade begins to crack under its own load, it will havae another server help out.

Also, the game has 1 single-shard server. There won't be regional servers. Just one big sandbox, like EVE Online. 

Sorry did I phrase my sentences as "der dum phlub how dwos te gam wok???". I'm not stupid I've been self teaching myself game development for a long time now. Also you would be surprised at what hackers can do. People can still hack dedicated servers. For example I could do it if I wanted to but I don't like cheating and I don't like cheaters. I would only mess with a game if it's an old broken game that doesn't work with 64 bit systems, if a mod needs improving or if I'm modding the game myself.

Also Minecraft handles memory very well but will still crash if you build a city and you don't have enough RAM. It looks like you are just answering questions you don't know the answers too so please don't mock me.

Griefing: Mainly what would happen when you spend ages building a massive ship then log off. Does it stay floating in space as a target for griefers or does it log off with you or have some kind of protection? Also what about bases. Are they protected by territory or are people free to come over and destroy or build around your base blocking you in?

- Your territories are protected by your TCU (territorial claim unit) and the permissions you set up. It won't mean you are invincible in your territory, but it's still a layer of protection (aside from other security measures that you could put in place, and unannounced offline protection features).

- Your ships floating out in space will be vulnerable, as your items don't just disappear when you log off. So you should be smart about where you leave your investments, if you're leaving an expensive ship out in the open without anyone around to protect it, you're going to have a bad time.

Hackers: I would like to know what kind of anti-cheating the game will be using. Is it using a custom one or pre-made one? Also the LUA could be a problem if it's using actual lua script. People might be able to use it to spawn things in or gain the upper hand. Is there any protection against this?

- LUA runs client-side, so we won't have those abilities. We'll only have access to exported functions that are provided to us. 

Memory usage: A lot of people know sandbox games can be very demanding on memory. Will we require a lot of memory to play the game and will we be expecting a lot of memory crashes when players build cities? I heard there will be no limit to what people can build. Is there going to be server wipes?

- No server wipes when the game goes live.

- The server architecture is designed in such way to handle large things like cities without causing a performance impact that will be seen on the client side. I recommend watching the server tech video if you want a better understanding of why this isn't a major issue in DU. tl;dr - no there won't be "memory crashes" when players build cities.

- As for what the system requirements for playing are, we've (I have in person) seen them play it remotely off of a laptop, so I can't imagine they are so high that they are prohibitive to most PC gamers. 

- I recommend reading the dev blogs and watching the tech videos, as there are good reasons why some of these concerns aren't really applicable in their architecture. 

Server stability: Mainly I want to know if there are going to be regional servers? There most likely will be but if there isn't then player ping would really cause a problem. Also will the servers be able to hold the amount of people that will be flooding onto the game on release?

- No regional servers. The main feature of the game is having one continuous single shard cluster. 

- Again, watch the server tech video, the server holding large amounts of players (potentially millions) is exactly what the game is designed for.

p.s. - Hop on discord and there are plenty of people who are willing to answer these questions more in-depth

1. There are a number of mechanisms that, when used properly, allow for you to protect your items even when offline. These include (but are not limited to) safezones, protection bubbles (mobile, mini safezones), the RDMS, Territory Control Units, having friendly allies, and just hiding stuff (the game world will be unbelievably vast). There are a number of resources on how those work, so if you'd like to learn more you can check out the FAQs and other threads. 

2. While I don't know exactly what software or techniques they will use to prevent hacking, I'm sure it will be some mix of standard anti-cheat things and custom made solutions. Like Twerk mentioned, since it will be all run off of a single server it would be extremely difficult to do any sort of hacking from the client side. You can't just use cheatengine or something like that. You'd have to compromise the main server, which is not really feasible for the average person (or even average hacker). Unless you are at APT status I doubt you could hack it in any meaningful way. The main issue will be people exploiting bugs.

3. There will be no server wipes, everything persists. As to memory usage, it is hard to know right now. Based on everything we have seen I would say that it likely won't be using a huge amount of memory. With average gaming PCs having at least 8-16 gb or RAM, I don't think it will generally be an issue. 

4. No regional servers, just one big single shard. They mentioned that they may (and this was more idle musing than actually planning) have two datacenters (one in EU and one in US) that they could switch between during peak hours, but I doubt there will be a need for that. At launch they will be running off of a hosting service which is capable of scaling to any level they need, so that won't be an issue. 

Thank you Lord_Void and yamamushi for answering my questions. I will see what happens when the game comes out in alpha if a developer sees this topic it would be nice if s/he could provide some more information on this. I'm only an Iron founder so I won't be able to jump on during the alpha to test stuff myself.

Being in pre-alpha, I doubt you're going to get a response about system requirements and server allocation.  We know the game is "single shard" with a cluster of servers on the back end.

Anti-hack will be more like the anti-hacks you find in an MMORPG.  Not a FPS shooter.

All constructs are persistent, but NQ plans on having a solution in place to protect you (to a degree) when you're offline.  That coupled with organizaiton security "should" protect your items if they are within your organization's territory.