April 2017 DevDiary

Sunrider44

With some of those new HUD elements, would we be able to re-texture them or at least re-colour them? The ability to make custom HUD layouts optimised for different tasks would be an interesting idea...

I insure you it's one continuous flight.

I am sure it is. But would it really have hurt to just speed it up?

I bet they didn't got time due to the recent move into the new building and the time-table. 

But if NQ can publish a time-lapse of the video, it would be amazing. :D I mean, they published the 30 minutes long building of a spaceship video :P

I bet they didn't got time due to the recent move into the new building and the time-table. 

But if NQ can publish a time-lapse of the video, it would be amazing. :D I mean, they published the 30 minutes long building of a spaceship video :P

Yes upload the entire video. Not time lapsed would be nice.

I would like to point out in the part where it shows the ship being built it says max speed is 500 m/s

I had made a post where I suggested sonic booms. But people said that there would not be supersonic speeds in the game. Well I believe 500 m/s is faster then the speed of sound.

Edit: Never mind that says 500 km/h XD I am a idiot sorry.

I will ask if it will be possible to have a time lapse version of the video. However, we are not sure it will be meaningful: 

The thing is, as we don't have (yet) FX effects giving a feeling of speed in space during most of the space travel, at the moment it feels like you are not moving at all, until you get really near of a celestial body. 

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Acceleration forces \o/

Falling towards a planet at higher speeds (2k km/h) \o/

Light detectors \o/

Operators for those traps \o/

HUGE list of materials \o/

Actual building of ships is HARD \o/

Love it NQ, good progress! But I agree here: would be nice to see the accelerated flight.

I will ask if it will be possible to have a time lapse version of the video. However, we are not sure it will be meaningful: 

The thing is, as we don't have (yet) FX effects giving a feeling of speed in space during most of the space travel, at the moment it feels like you are not moving at all, until you get really near of a celestial body. 

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

I am more curious on how long the trip was. I also have been wondering if those blue dots in the sky are in fact planets or just very close stars.

I would like to point out in the part where it shows the ship being built it says max speed is 500 m/s

I had made a post where I suggested sonic booms. But people said that there would not be supersonic speeds in the game. Well I believe 500 m/s is faster then the speed of sound.

Edit: Never mind that says 500 km/h XD I am a idiot sorry.

Max speed and possible speed are not the same thing. Your lawnmawer has a maximum possible speed of 50000 miles per hour. We both know that's not the case though in atmosphere.

After friction is accounted for, I bet that number drops dramatically.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Can we have a number on how long the trip took, or are the distances still under tweaking?

Looking great, love the first implementations of crafting... fantastic news.

Can't imagine what it'll look like in 3 months ^^

Looking great, love the first implementations of crafting... fantastic news.

Can't imagine what it'll look like in 3 months ^^

Why 3 months. WHAT DOSE 3 MONTHS HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING!!!! WHY NOT 3.2 MONTHS OR 2 OR EVEN 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M GOING TO LOSE SLEEP OVER THIS !@!!@!!!!!!!!&!&@^!(^#!#!*&!*(!!!!!(&*@!^#!)^!)!

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

It surely makes sense as a technical demo. 

I  mean, a lot of early critics of DU were based on trailers. Trailers aim to catch attention by warming people, but they are filled with effects and subjectivity.

The point is that it could bring people to get trapped in a feedback loop: players and dev fall into an addiction-like system, where each new hype loop push everybody to feel insecure. It finally brings emotional instability that manifests through periodic burst of violence, avoidance or inner motivation loss.

I think that have both technical rushes and DevDiaries will allow people to self-balance between the hype and the rational approach. It could worth it with some warning of course.

It surely make sense as a technical demo. 

I  mean, a lot of early critics of DU were based on trailers. Trailers aim to catch attention by warming people, but they are filled with effects and subjectivity.

The point is that it could bring people to get trapped in a feedback loop: players and dev fall into an addiction-like system, where each new hype loop push everybody to feel insecure. It finally brings emotional instability that manifests through periodic burst of violence, avoidance or inner motivation loss.

I think that have both technical rushes and DevDiaries will allow people to self-balance between the hype and the rational approach. It could worth it with some warning of course.

+1

I agree, Technical Demos can speak volumes on their own. 

I agree. Technical demos are wonderful, even if they are not "shiny" and "sexy". 

All in all, an excellent video! I love the ship building menu and all the work you have done on the physics. Keep up the good work! I saw the lorem ipsum on the build menu and thought it was an easter egg >< but now I know more about placeholder text haha

One question I have is that I noticed that all the stacks of iron ore are 95m3 and the coal one is 99m3. Will these be the standard stack sizes? And will different materials have different sizes? 

So far so good, I love new models, it keeps consistent style.

I'm not fancy seeing a video with nothing happening at all for few minutes just to see the grand finale ;)

But one thing came to my mind.

Crafting!

I would expect some machinery involved to process materials, so it cost and consume power. (Not to mention that power requirement would help to keep the game balanced)

Having this craft system simplified to on-board refinery/distillery/factory system, seems to be oversimplification and we loosing some immersion here.

Are you guys planing such thing? 

So far so good, I love new models, it keeps consistent style.

I'm not fancy seeing a video with nothing happening at all for few minutes just to see the grand finale ;)

But one thing came to my mind.

Crafting!

I would expect some machinery involved to process materials, so it cost and consume power. (Not to mention that power requirement would help to keep the game balanced)

Having this craft system simplified to on-board refinery/distillery/factory system, seems to be oversimplification and we loosing some immersion here.

Are you guys planing such thing? 

I believe that was just the basic crafting, think of it like minecraft, what they showed us may just be the character crafting, the higher tier engines, warp gates and all that good stuff will probably need machines.

I agree as well on the technical demos, with lots of warnings stating what it is. It doesn't have to be maid with a purpose, it can be a recording that is from debugging a portion of the game. None of us here need it to be fancy or beautified, we know it is a work in progress. As well as calming down some of the more anxiety prone members of this community.

I am hoping to find someone that is awesome at building these ships cause I'm starting to think I wont have enough time to get one off the ground. Which is amazing!!!!! Love the detail and thought going into this game. The learning curve will be an epic one in this game!!!!!!

Great stuff here. The shipbuilder is looking like it's shaping into exactly what I hoped for. Huge props.

I get that a timelapse would be pretty boring at this state (i.e. 5 strait minutes of motionless black), but with the level of skepticism around a game like DU I'm afraid it's necessary. The biggest concern I hear from the people I pitch the game to is "I'm not getting fooled like I was with NMS" and the lack of continuity in the video will trigger them so hard lol

Great stuff here. The shipbuilder is looking like it's shaping into exactly what I hoped for. Huge props.

I get that a timelapse would be pretty boring at this state (i.e. 5 strait minutes of motionless black), but with the level of skepticism around a game like DU I'm afraid it's necessary. The biggest concern I hear from the people I pitch the game to is "I'm not getting fooled like I was with NMS" and the lack of continuity in the video will trigger them so hard lol

They could do the timelapse is an artsy style with some opera music, or go for the humorous "elevator music" timelapse. I mean, if I have to see sse a dot in sky getting bigger for more than 10 minutes or even longer until it's a planet, I better got myself some elevator music :P

They could do the timelapse is an artsy style with some opera music, or go for the humorous "elevator music" timelapse. I mean, if I have to see sse a dot in sky getting bigger for more than 10 minutes or even longer until it's a planet, I better got myself some elevator music :P

I got the perfect song https://goo.gl/hxQmlr