From mining and transport to battle and information, robots are huge parts of sci-fi and futuristic television shows and movies, so why not bring them into Dual Universe? Being a solo player can seem nearly impossible if faced against larger pirate groups, or even managing larger ships, but if you had a hard working team of steel companions with you, it would be an even match! Host an industrial company and don't want to fork out thousands of your hard earned credits to pay for defense? Worry not! For you may manufacture hundreds of honest and loyal machines to keep your business in running order! C'mon, who hasn't wanted their own private army of battle droids?

Robotics can be a fantastic and unique addition to the universe that Novaquark is creating. Just like other technological skill trees, robotics can have it's own, unlocking you different components to make robots that are elite in fighting, mining, transporting goods, repairing, or other utilities. There are many possibilities for this addition, if you care to, feel free to add on any ideas to this post ????

Perhaps if you programmed them yourself, but AI is one of those things that is really iffy in Dual Universe because it conflicts directly with the lore bible (that AI was banned at one point).

I'd be hesitant to want full featured droids in the game, enough to satisfy your desire for a personal robot army, because that leans too much in the direction of removing social interaction from the picture. 

It's similar to how people don't want ships to be fully automated without the need for multiple people crewing all different aspects of them. 

Now that wouldn't necessarily eliminate the possibility of having a single scripted robot following you around that you yourself design, craft, and script. 

However, I don't think the game itself will provide premade robots serving the kinds of purposes you're looking for. 

I think this could be a good "segue" to a form of Mechromancer class. 

What I mean you may wonder.

In other games, people have beasts, demons, unicorns or w/e the flipping flak those Lolli classes in Korean Trash MMOs have these days, those things that are a crossbreed between hentai-echi tentacle fiends and the Flying Spaghetti Monster itself.

Mental breakdown aside, what I would like Robotics to be, is having the ability to control a certain type of Robot "pet". Not an army, just one single thing, like a semi-sentient drone.

Of course, that should demand a certain armor, a kind of armor with a sort transmission module installed in it, essentially allowing a player to play as the douchebag obligatory "pet using" class from other MMOs. EVE has a good example of such a model with its drones. You can have mining, or combat drones, or ECM (jamming enemy targeting system) or support drones, that repair people. But you need certain ships ( avatar armors in DU) to operate them efficiently.  Those ships, could also equip certain itemks that made their use of drones even better, with "Drone Navigational Computers" equiped on the player, that make drones move faster or Drone Control Ragne Boosters, that boost how far you can oepraete your drones from. And some armors may even have a bonus on on what certain drones can do. A mining suit, may provide better "mining sppeed" to a mining drone pet, while a medic armor may provide a better healing per second on the medical drone pet. Engineers? They have the luxury of using the drone to repair a thing, while they focus on something else. I just thing NQ should not make the drone pet avaialbe to all types of armors worn, otherwise the game may be a bit to silly in PvP, let alone the drone pet loses its charm if it's obligatory to have it.

And given the player character has an implant on their head, I think the arguement they "cyberpathically" control the robot pet, is quite  logical one. 

But I think if it was to be implemented it should not extend to mining. Or at least, if it did, it should be more like a pet that can be used to haul minerals back to your hovercraft or something, so you can cut down on times by having to double back and forth and simply focus on mining.

But that's my opinion.

I'm not so much for using robots to make up for lack of manpower, that should not be a thing. But i do agree with Twerk here with the one controllable robot pet thing. We could even re-live Robot Wars by sending your own robot versus another in an octagon, and bet some cash money on that.

I agree, we should be able to have our own robots, but not for use in combat, I think that we should be able to have drones, like maybe your're controlling a scout drone from your base and it's patrolling an area that might get attacked and when an enemy does arrive, you and your org will know, so you can send troops to defend the territory. Or maybe you can use a drone to haul mined ores back to the surface.

Anarchy online (mmorpg) had the engineer class with robot pets and mechanical engineering expertise. The main perk was being able to build your own huge white slayer droid you could use to take npc aggro. Seemed fun being followed everywhere by an enormous killing machine

From mining and transport to battle and information, robots are huge parts of sci-fi and futuristic television shows and movies, so why not bring them into Dual Universe? Being a solo player can seem nearly impossible if faced against larger pirate groups, or even managing larger ships, but if you had a hard working team of steel companions with you, it would be an even match! Host an industrial company and don't want to fork out thousands of your hard earned credits to pay for defense? Worry not! For you may manufacture hundreds of honest and loyal machines to keep your business in running order! C'mon, who hasn't wanted their own private army of battle droids?

Robotics can be a fantastic and unique addition to the universe that Novaquark is creating. Just like other technological skill trees, robotics can have it's own, unlocking you different components to make robots that are elite in fighting, mining, transporting goods, repairing, or other utilities. There are many possibilities for this addition, if you care to, feel free to add on any ideas to this post

Hey !! , I totally agree with you  \o/

I love to program AI and see how far i can push to create automated very smart drones, i think is a valid game play style.

So i could have a fully automated factory and mining plants etc.... and then could spend my time on RP and making friends on MMO environment.....

I'd totally love that the sandbox game give us the ability to fully program great AIs......

But... DU community don't think so,

so i think we will not see here great automation or programing freedom to make nice friendly drones or support robots.

In other games, people have beasts, demons, unicorns or w/e the flipping flak those Lolli classes in Korean Trash MMOs have these days, those things that are a crossbreed between hentai-echi tentacle fiends and the Flying Spaghetti Monster itself.
Mental breakdown aside, what I would like Robotics to be, is having the ability to control a certain type of Robot "pet".

I Agree (strange no)... I hope we can create a small droid pet, with our own design visual characteristics, from a cute Cat bot (like on EVA Movie)

to a Corean elven Loli,  (Like Chiii, from chobits),  that we can program simple commands and his behavior at least... 

PS: My evil dream were to program a colony army of boots, that travels trough the universe working as colony, grouping in swarms , attaking, looting and self replicating, I'd become a mad scientist villain, while my creation becomes a nice antagonist in the game world.

I'm not so much for using robots to make up for lack of manpower, that should not be a thing. But i do agree with Twerk here with the one controllable robot pet thing. We could even re-live Robot Wars by sending your own robot versus another in an octagon, and bet some cash money on that.

I would go for Medabots - a japanese anime about people who control modified "Sorta sentient" robots that drain their fighting style from their processor unit, their Medals.

Ah, good old Robot Wars. I miss that show.

Hey CaptainKingz,

Bear in mind. 

ALL posters on this forum are Luddites.  ALL automation is labled 'AI', and therefore it must not be allowed to exist.  These citizens of Alioth still cling to the short sighted laws of a lifeless planet that's been dead for 10,000 years. 

Any discussion otherwise will make you a 'Pariah'.

Hey CaptainKingz,

Bear in mind. 

ALL posters on this forum are Luddites.  ALL automation is labled 'AI', and therefore it must not be allowed to exist.

Well, there's a difference between an automated battleship and a robot companion. Just saying. We need not deal in absolutes. You are not meant to multicrew an avatar character, but you are meant to multicrew a battleship in DU.

You are not meant to multicrew an avatar character, but you are meant to multicrew a battleship in DU.

1.  A robot is not an avatar.  It's a mobile construct like a ship. 

2.  WHO gets to classify a construct as anything (robot, fighter,  battleship, etc.)

3.  How do you know the "intent" of the developers?  All we know is that they want to encourage multiplayer ships and gameplay.

Where's the difference?

They're both constructs, with mobile core units.

Ah... what. Avatars don't have core units :| 

I put my idea out there for it to work as a "pet system". I am still not supporting automation as the OP suggested though.  It's an MMORPG, ot an MMORTS.

1.  A robot is not an avatar.  It's a mobile construct like a ship. 

2.  WHO gets to classify a construct as anything (robot, fighter,  battleship, etc.)

3.  How do you know the "intent" of the developers

Are you suggesting I am wrong in assuming I am not supposed to multicrew my own avatar character?

Hey CaptainKingz,

Bear in mind. 

ALL posters on this forum are Luddites.  ALL automation is labled 'AI', and therefore it must not be allowed to exist.  These citizens of Alioth still cling to the short sighted laws of a lifeless planet that's been dead for 10,000 years. 

I think no meter how the lore brought us to this moment, soon the humans suppose to notice that they can do more and better with machinery and AI help, 

and at that moment robots would be lore friendly again.

Maybe i'm a Pariah... 

because I think this part of lore, is a light excuse to the "off line" intention of developers to force ppl to team up, 

in other hands there will be aways the solo player that hates everyone and prefer team up with machines.... 

so i think there suppose to be certain level of freedom on programing robots and automation of tasks, not to replace the players, but help and improve.

(the social players will aways find a way to make friends and alliances any way)

I think no meter how the lore brought us to this moment, soon the humans suppose to notice that they can do more and better with machinery and AI help,

and at that moment robots would be lore friendly again.

Maybe i'm a Pariah...

because I think this part of lore, is a light excuse to the "off line" intention of developers to force ppl to team up,

in other hands there will be aways the solo player that hates everyone and prefer team up with machines....

so i think there suppose to be certain level of freedom on programing robots and automation of tasks, not to replace the players, but help and improve.

(the social players will aways find a way to make friends and alliances any way)

The problem here at hand is not that they don't want other playstyles or something (yes they want to encourage communities, which is a good thing in a mmo) but balance.

If automining was enabled in any way, no-one would bother doing it. Even those who say they enjoy it, will only do it for fun but not to get you or your org somewhere. People will abuse that to hell only to get an advantage and this balancing is very hard

The problem here at hand is not that they don't want other playstyles or something (yes they want to encourage communities, which is a good thing in a mmo) but balance.

If automining was enabled in any way, no-one would bother doing it. Even those who say they enjoy it, will only do it for fun but not to get you or your org somewhere. People will abuse that to hell only to get an advantage and this balancing is very hard

Yap agree, thats why I said "certain level" of automation

like, in mining, i would be nice to have a robot to help me, making some kind of pre processing, taking to my ship, dragging containers like a small train, so my inventory don't full up easily, help me to analysis soil and point me a direction of a deposit ... etc..

not mine for me, especially don't work while i'm off line, or to far from it.  

auto mine is same as free open bot game, and yes it sux.

maybe,  some guard drones that i can alert me when some one is coming, and i can look trough its camera and see if a friend ou foe ship is arriving,

never fight for me or replacing a player....

also maybe a small analysis drone that can fly fast looking for resources and minerals, but under my control, i need to be looking trough his camera, but from inside my ship, this droid could cover a large area way fast than me walking, once i find the resource and mark on my map, id land and mince it from my own

smart pets, that can handle information, save location, answer calls, and be cute and friendly.

or ship repair droids, that need the operator to be online feeding resources... 

maybe self defense ship's AI,  that can fly away if some one try to break in or attack it while you are inside a cave mining and your ship parked outside,

or even that can be left in orbit or hidden in the ravine,  and can be called to where you are via a portable device ... 

you see, i can continue forever but you got the idea, there is lots of droid/bot applications that humans suppose to use as helpers, without automate anti-game things like auto mining or farming or autonomous battle ships or factories, I aways be against "boting" on any game, but since this is a Sci-fi game, have some robots arround, that don't mess with gameplay balance, would be very imersive and i think could be lore friendly

Robotics can be a fantastic and unique addition to the universe that Novaquark is creating. Just like other technological skill trees, robotics can have it's own, unlocking you different components to make robots that are elite in fighting, mining, transporting goods, repairing, or other utilities. There are many possibilities for this addition, if you care to, feel free to add on any ideas to this post

Well... I'm okay with Battling and simple labor but i think everything with brains involved from engineering to genetics should be done by players. And robots should be nerfed so they can't compete with real guys.

Well If you think about SE (Space Engineers), even with programmable blocks, no one has yet made a good automated mining drone, because they don't have the tools ;

for example (in SE), how do you tell the drone wich area is composed of something worth mining?

I don't really think that anyone acheived to make a proper automated mining drone,

neither a proper automated fighting drone, since fighting is sooo much more than being accurate...

It's about position, ship's control (knowing weakpoints and strongpoints...)

But again, SE isn't an MMO and people aren't as badly in need of getting the most efficient thing in the universe...

I think it all comes down to:

-Are there going to be preprogrammed robots?(probably not)

-How extensive will the Lua Library for DU will be? Roblox(which will be refered as the "Block Game" hereinafter in order to reduce cringe) and ComputerCraft, which is a mod for Minecraft that adds on computers both had player-made scripting done in Lua and had additional functions that made it useful in the context of the games. Since the Block Game is a game engine, it needed a whole new suit of functions in the library to interact with the world, while Computercraft functions were less extensive with the unique libraries being for mostly world interactions.

-The Lore

I personally think there should be a way to virtually automate everything, but there is a critical piece that will cause the whole system to break without human interaction, such as a power supply that needs regular maintenance that cannot be automated because the robots have no power since they need to turn it off.

I think it all comes down to:

-Are there going to be preprogrammed robots?(probably not)

-How extensive will the Lua Library for DU will be? Roblox(which will be refered as the "Block Game" hereinafter in order to reduce cringe) and ComputerCraft, which is a mod for Minecraft that adds on computers both had player-made scripting done in Lua and had additional functions that made it useful in the context of the games. Since the Block Game is a game engine, it needed a whole new suit of functions in the library to interact with the world, while Computercraft functions were less extensive with the unique libraries being for mostly world interactions.

-The Lore

I personally think there should be a way to virtually automate everything, but there is a critical piece that will cause the whole system to break without human interaction, such as a power supply that needs regular maintenance that cannot be automated because the robots have no power since they need to turn it off.

Can we not make DU the same automated shit of an alt frenzied game that EVE is? Thanks. I would have liked those 300000 subscribes EVE has to be actual players, not alt accounts. If you have ONE part of the system that a human is needed, it can and will default to a tedium NOT fun gameplay.

If I was to paraphrase EVE's famous adage. "You can't fly what you can't afford to crew".

Automation is EVE's cancer. And NQ elected to cut it out from the get-go. You are not auto-mining, you are not auto-producing. They literally said, the only SURE automation, is about bases, and that's because of sieges.

Sure, you CAN have LUA scripts to running your factory units, but you need to be online for that to work, so, hopefully, all those "industryialists" from EVE, will have to finally actually put brain behind industry and managing their orgs, rather than queueing up productions every 2 weeks.

Mhm yeah. Because refilling energy, redoing blueprint queue, or something is good and deep gameplay. Such things are MUCH more interesting than actually thinking about production and how you should produce stuff for it to be efficient......