The Galaxy Map - It needs to be 3D

Brutal Theory

I tried searching for a similar topic, but "map" is apparently not allowed as a search term.

In other games, the maps of space are 2d. Please make the map of space 3D to illustrate distance along the z-axis. It would also be nice to have org networks be a different color than the standard method of travel. For example, show routes using org stargates with direct connections between solar systems in yellow, and show the standard routes flying from solar system to solar system in white.

Why should there be lines connecting stars when you can travel in any direction?

Stargates are far, far, far away from release, nonetheless I think a color code would be nice (as those are the only straight connections).

I'm curious how they'd do such a map, 3D has many drawbacks too

No, they didn't.

Eve Online's galaxy map is 3D. Is something like that what you want?

Yes, I would hope it is similar to EVE if it is present. I hope that planets are not statically placed along only the x and y axes because that is impossible in real physics. I really do not see any drawbacks to representing the galaxy realistically.

Yes, I would hope it is similar to EVE if it is present. I hope that planets are not statically placed along only the x and y axes because that is impossible in real physics. I really do not see any drawbacks to representing the galaxy realistically.

The beta or the original map.

Cause both are eye-gouging pieces of bad design. There's a reason people use the lattice maps (like DOTLAN) on websites to navigate New Eden/ instead of the in-game map CCP developed. 

Also, EVE is played on a 2D field. Just because your ship looks "up" on a system it doesn't mean it's "up". Also, regardless of where a stargate is, EVE is STILL a 2D map. The 3D is just there for "immersion" and all that shit.

Also, you mean realistically representing physics... like EVE? 

"hurr hurr, you have a Thanny, I have a Crow, I bet I can stop you from warping by bumping onto you".

Realism and EVE don't go hand by hand.

The DU devs have said planets will rotate but not orbit around a star, to make navigation easier. Not everyone has the skills to calculate where a planet is (nor to mention it would create quite the trouble if NQ had to move all the planets, in all the systems, even the ones no players are in).

Also, I hope NQ keeps star maps tied to spaceship navigation screens only. It would suck if we had anyone on a ship know where a Black Ops mission is heading. Having only ship captains know where a mission is going, is always preferred.

Plus, there is no way for the player's computer to know wher he is at that moment in space, as they need probing equipment to pinpoint their location given star locations.

So NQ , pretty please, don't give omniscient maps to ANYONE in the game.

With their mineral scanning in place they could really make a very good system to calculate where you are, which would/could be quite realistically. Scan for known pulsars and derive your position from the distance to them (it's quite hard IRL tbh, but it's a game)

For map design I too hope they go for an actual ingame element which shows the map so that you have different layers of maps instead of one omnipresent one, like:

- for personal use a basic map of your sourroundings via your hand tool

- in small fighters (as we seen in videos) those planetary maps with an indication marker

- in big ships/stations in orbit a 2D map of the solar system

- in ships with ftl capacity a 3D map

There could be all kinds of different mechanics to this too

- it doesn't show nothing you haven't been to

- you have to scan for new sols/stars/planets to get a general direction

- more sophisticated scanners could show more info (inhabitants, bases, constructs) with an increased radius

- data could be passed on to another player (map markets!) so that explorers earn money

All above are ofc only daydreams but as we already saw what NQ did in the past (scanning mechanics, traps) it's pretty hard not to believe they don't come up with a good solution

@Lethys

That's what I'm hopeing for. That a marine or recruit ODST won't have knowledge of where they are gonna be dropped off to. So organisations can work on a "need-to-know"  basis when it comes to Strategic Ops.

You can't map a 3d volumetric world with a 2d map, the games that have this, have "fake" 3d worlds.So, there's no other way to di it. Other than that DU doesn't have fixed routes (used for istancing) so there are no lines between solar systems. Btw, since we're not leavig alioth and the first solar system for the first months/years, we may get a simplified map at the beginning that would be improved later

You can't map a 3d volumetric world with a 2d map, the games that have this, have "fake" 3d worlds.So, there's no other way to di it. Other than that DU doesn't have fixed routes (used for istancing) so there are no lines between solar systems

While it stands true, it's irrelevant if DU has "lines between systems" like EVE does. The idea is to have a stellar map, that's 3D. Howeve, EVE's map (the one the OP stated as wanting) is a total mess.

In EVE, star system maps are working as intended, but the galaxy map is horribad.

I can't remember which game, but you could actually switch between 3d map and a flat map. I wouldn't mind that, because for some purposes a flat map can be useful, like having one common frame of reference for making territory maps and at-a-glance navigation.