Gold+ Pledge

FD3242

Would you pay 5 extra euros on top of your gold pledge to get a name reservation?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay 5 extra euros on top of your gold pledge to get a name reservation?

• Yes
    • No
    • I got a free one in the kickstarter.

This has probably been suggested before but I would like to bring it up in case it has not.

It's simple, a 125 euro pledge which is the same as Gold Digital but has a name reservation. (This dose not include the psychical ID Card).

I am sure there are plenty of people that would pay a extra 5 euro to have a name reservation. So more money for the devs and people like me that are paranoid of somebody stealing there name but do not want more junk in there house can get a name reservation. Everybody wins.

The only problem I see is some people might be mad that they paid for the Gold Psychical just for the name reservation and did not have to.

(I think...)

Everybody who was a part of the kickstarter got a name reservation. Those who got a name reservation in their pledge get 2

I know, which is why I am worried somebody might steal somebody's name just for the lols.

I didn't give any money yet cause I'm not really in a financial situation where I can, but when I went to make an account someone had taken my usual name

on the community site : /

Does that mean that they reserved it? Or does that mean someone else made a free account with my name.

If it is the case that someone else made a free account with my name, if I pledge now will I be able to reserve that name?

I didn't give any money yet cause I'm not really in a financial situation where I can, but when I went to make an account someone had taken my usual name

on the community site : /

Does that mean that they reserved it? Or does that mean someone else made a free account with my name.

If it is the case that someone else made a free account with my name, if I pledge now will I be able to reserve that name?

That's because they do not allow names smaller then 6 charters. My community portal name is _mefsh_.

I am more worried about my in game name though.

That's because they do not allow names smaller then 6 charters. My community portal name is _mefsh_.

I am more worried about my in game name though.

What are they going to do about in-game names anyway?

Two best approaches imo:

1. Have 'Firstname Lastname' character names like in Eve

2. Allow multiples of the same name but include a unique identifier after to differentiate (identifier isn't displayed most of the time, usually only in friends panel or character listings)

The system for the second option has been used most notably by Blizzard (battle.net) and Arenanet (GW2)

Two best approaches imo:

2. Allow multiples of the same name but include a unique identifier after to differentiate (identifier isn't displayed most of the time, usually only in friends panel or character listings)

The system for the second option has been used most notably by Blizzard (battle.net) and Arenanet (GW2)

Well it can't be the second one otherwise whats the point of name reservation.

(I think...)

Everybody who was a part of the kickstarter got a name reservation. Those who got a name reservation  arkship ID card in their pledge get 2

Fixed to lessen confusion.

No one explicitly got a name reservation in their pledge, just ID cards which... come with a name reservation.  As it would be strange for you to have an ID card with someone elses name on it, ya?

As for the topic at hand... I don't think name reservations should be offered at this point in time.  Names were given out on an individual basis via a survey... unless they have a system that requires less manpower... I give it a no go.  Two people could have put in the same name, and that conflict would have to be handled by a real living person.  Granted, probably didn't happen often or at all during the Kickstarter since there are so few people... but it still creates issues.  Similarly, it requires linking between survey and account which at the time required a person.

The question we all have to ask is, is it worth it?  I say no.  Chances are your name won't be taken... and being in alpha will practically guarantee you the name.  Assuming names transfer across builds.

Furthermore, I imagine they're still digging through the responses and whatnot... why add more?  The name-reservation seems like a taxing add on to the kickstarter, and should stay as such.

Two best approaches imo:

It's definitely not the first option... as the kickstarter surveys accepted either one name or a first/last name.  There was discussion on it during that time period, if you can find the thread... you may find information you are looking for.

As for the second, who knows... I imagine it will simply be first come first serve ala most games out there.  I wouldn't be opposed to this option though, creates competition for creating renown for your name ^^

Fixed to lessen confusion.

No one explicitly got a name reservation in their pledge, just ID cards which... come with a name reservation.  As it would be strange for you to have an ID card with someone elses name on it, ya?

As for the topic at hand... I don't think name reservations should be offered at this point in time.  Names were given out on an individual basis via a survey... unless they have a system that requires less manpower... I give it a no go.  Two people could have put in the same name, and that conflict would have to be handled by a real living person.  Granted, probably didn't happen often or at all during the Kickstarter since there are so few people... but it still creates issues.  Similarly, it requires linking between survey and account which at the time required a person.

The question we all have to ask is, is it worth it?  I say no.  Chances are your name won't be taken... and being in alpha will practically guarantee you the name.  Assuming names transfer across builds.

Furthermore, I imagine they're still digging through the responses and whatnot... why add more?  The name-reservation seems like a taxing add on to the kickstarter, and should stay as such.

But there offering them in the form of arkship id cards. How is this any different?

Hmm, who might have done that? ;)

Honestly, I doubt name stealing will be a big deal.

Is there some inside joke I am missing?

I don't think it will be either. It would be a nice to have my name secured though.

Is there some inside joke I am missing?

Yes. Or maybe no. (I don't really remember.)

I don't think it will be either. It would be a nice to have my name secured though.

I worried about this a bit too, before I reserved mine, but I really do think that more people are interested in reserving their own name rather than trying to steal other people's names. I certainly wouldn't be against them allowing people who didn't already get one to buy one. 

But there offering them in the form of arkship id cards. How is this any different?

Huh, you're right.  Thought they were taken off in the current pledges.

How do people reserve their name currently?

Huh, you're right.  Thought they were taken off in the current pledges.

How do people reserve their name currently?

I believe they send you a email with a survey.

NQ sent an email with a survey and you could choose two names (in case your first choice was already taken. First come first serve basis): first + last name or just first name.

It was a backer perk for all KS contributers.

I don't really care if my name is taken or not, so I can't say that I'm super excited about this idea..... :) I can see your point in this but I don't think Nq will change anything anytime soon with the pledges. And if they do, they'll probably make it more expensive

I mean, there are already similar packages to the kickstarter ones, you can't really ask for more. Then, people don't spend 100+ euros for the lols (usually), and i doubt many wants to call themselves "mefsh" (...btw beautiful name!), so you should be fine. If you buy the gold digital you're still able to create an alt in alpha, so before anyone but the kickstarters (and the kickstarters already have reserved their name, if they took yours there's not much you can do anyway)

If the game is done right you wont need a name reservation. You will have a unique account ID and your character will have whatever name you want it to have.

Your "done right" doesn't always align with the majority's "done right"

Prepare for that, it also sounds like NQ is not going down that route either... much like most MMOs.

Your "done right" doesn't always align with the majority's "done right"

Prepare for that, it also sounds like NQ is not going down that route either... much like most MMOs.

Maybe but theres only benefits to doing things that way. 

1-You get to please everyone by letting them pick any name

2-You dont see people with numbers in their names for the sake of enjoying some role-play

Maybe but theres only benefits to doing things that way. 

1-You get to please everyone by letting them pick any name

2-You dont see people with numbers in their names for the sake of enjoying some role-play

One man's benefits can be the majority's detriments.

One man's benefits can be the majority's detriments.

Please Explain what could possibly be bad about what Bleep_Bloop suggested. I can not think of any.