Dual Universe and Steam

Qddiez

I searched a bit here and on google about DU and Steam but didn't find anything, in case please point me to relevant thread.

I don't intend to discuss the pros and cons of Steam, I simply would like to know if DU will be needing the Steam platform or if it will be independent. Thanks.

Well, Steam is good advertisement and it has a huge player base but it also gets a hefty cut of the sales. Anyway, I am happy if DU will stay away from Steam, simply because I don't use it anymore.

Ok for bringing it to Steam too, but not only I hope. Like Kerbal Space Program which is available on Steam but also from their own site.

I wish more titles would do the same.

Ok for bringing it to Steam too, but not only I hope. Like Kerbal Space Program which is available on Steam but also from their own site.

I wish more titles would do the same.

You mean... like a "Dual" choice ? :P

Nyzaltar covered Steam about a month ago:

"Releasing Dual Universe on Steam is being considered (but no promise at the moment).

If we go for Steam at some point, it won't be before Beta (so not before 2018).

The client would be available on the Steam store, a bit like EvE Online.

This approach wouldn't be led by greed. It would just give more visibility to the game. It's a no brainer: Steam platform gives visibility.

And to see more players joining the game is never a bad thing, especially when the game is centered around player activities.

We are aware that Early Access on Steam are seen with more and more suspicion as developers ask to pay for products far from being finished and the only games who got positive feedback were the games nearly complete or not far away of the official launch. That's why we won't rush a Steam release in any case.

We also make a clear distinction between Early Access and Crowdfunding support.

From our point of view:

- Early Access should be equal to selling a game, not completely finished but already fun to play and fairly stable. In other words, at least a game that has reached Beta. Those who buy a game in Early Access are consumers who buy a product to play a bit in advance prior to the official release.

- Crowdfunding is meant for people who want to help the project and support, people to have suggestions to make to improve the game, etc. They can access the game right from early stages, in order to provide feedbacks that could be taken into account into the dev roadmap. But there are here more as supporters willing to help improving the game than consumers in the first place (but they deserve, of course, the same respect as other consumers!): they understand they are going to enter a game that isn't a nearly finished product or that the fun is not completely there yet.

Best regards,

Nyzaltar."

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/820-if-i-may-ask/?p=6825

I have read about Dual Contouring somewhere on the devblog, it may be it.

Have you considered it to be a scattershot of meanings? Binary Universe? Second Universe? The first sounds like a 2D game for mobile and the latter is sounding like an expansion pack on Second Life.And no Double Universe sounds like something out of a McDonalds menu.