Unlocked laptop BIOS

Hades

Anyone know if there are any retailers that offer flashing an unlocked BIOS?  Specifically for the MSI 16L13.  Just picked one up for a steal of only $700 ^^

However, unfortunately it's running a gimped BIOS... can't play around with the i7 6700k as intended.  

Retailers I know sell unlocked BIOS on new systems:

Eurocom

HIDEvolution

Places I know I can get an unlocked BIOS:

Svet - but his BIOS is tough, with very few protections in place for messing up.  I haven't been overclocking for very long, and don't really trust myself with his BIOS.  Last resort I suppose :P

Any of you guys know any other places I can try?

Why not just do it yourself? There are plenty of tutorials online.

OCing a laptop is fairly pointless, you won't get that much gains from it, but the excces heat will fry an egg :D

you really don't want to overclock that, the heat will burn you. The bios likely cannot be safely unlocked; however, you might be able to use one of MSI's utilities to modify the cpu clock and voltage.

you really don't want to overclock that, the heat will burn you. The bios likely cannot be safely unlocked; however, you might be able to use one of MSI's utilities to modify the cpu clock and voltage.

The BIOS CAN be safely unlocked, I do not have the expertise however. Unlocked BIOS usually have far more options and safety measures for such behaviour. (Which is why I want an unlocked bios). I will probably just go with Svets bios, as it isn't a hassle to get

As for temps... not a problem. Rocking around 70 degrees under heavy load... imagine I can get that to 80 degrees and still be okay.

I'm not new to keeping a pc/laptop cool. First thing I did was delid the 6700k and paste it all with grizzly conductonaut

The BIOS CAN be safely unlocked, I do not have the expertise however. Unlocked BIOS usually have far more options and safety measures for such behaviour. (Which is why I want an unlocked bios). I will probably just go with Svets bios, as it isn't a hassle to get

As for temps... not a problem. Rocking around 70 degrees under heavy load... imagine I can get that to 80 degrees and still be okay.

I'm not new to keeping a pc/laptop cool. First thing I did was delid the 6700k and paste it all with grizzly conductonaut

Thing is Fox is right on that. Laptops can't afford to go past 70 degrees, they are not mini-ATX to tolerate the temps and even mini-ATX are stretching it at 70 degrees.

Unless you wanna do this for "let's see how long the old girl can last on its final days" kind of  thing, I wouldn't suggest pushing 80 degrees on your laptop. That's - at best - a short circuit ready to happen.

Thing is Fox is right on that. Laptops can't afford to go past 70 degrees, they are not mini-ATX to tolerate the temps and even mini-ATX are stretching it at 70 degrees.

Unless you wanna do this for "let's see how long the old girl can last on its final days" kind of  thing, I wouldn't suggest pushing 80 degrees on your laptop. That's - at best - a short circuit ready to happen.

Wrong.  

http://valid.x86.fr/igp6v8

77 C stable at 5.2 GHZ

That's a full GHZ over stock.

Perhaps your generic thinnies are built that way, but once you get into desktop replacements... that doesn't seem to be the case.

FYI:  Most thin gaming laptops run from 80-90 C, unless you undervolt which is impossible on the i7 7700hq without serious tampering afaik.

And by heavy load, I'm talking about benchmarks.

More citations:

GT 73VR stable at 80C:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT73VR-6RE-Titan-Notebook-Review.172916.0.html

Clevo P870dm3 stable GPUs at 90C:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-U727-Clevo-P870DM3-G-Notebook-Review.173957.0.html

Gl with your endeavor, tell is how it went.

I'm glad I have desktop and no heat problems :)

Haha, me too.  That's for sure... interested in how this goes though :)

Sent in a request for Svet's BIOS.  Will definitely keep you guys posted.

Wrong.  

http://valid.x86.fr/igp6v8

77 C stable at 5.2 GHZ

That's a full GHZ over stock.

Perhaps your generic thinnies are built that way, but once you get into desktop replacements... that doesn't seem to be the case.

FYI:  Most thin gaming laptops run from 80-90 C, unless you undervolt which is impossible on the i7 7700hq without serious tampering afaik.

And by heavy load, I'm talking about benchmarks.

More citations:

GT 73VR stable at 80C:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT73VR-6RE-Titan-Notebook-Review.172916.0.html

Clevo P870dm3 stable GPUs at 90C:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schenker-XMG-U727-Clevo-P870DM3-G-Notebook-Review.173957.0.html

Oh, if it's a spacious laptop for gaming, that changes the case. You didn't provide the links of the original post, so I assumed you were talking on a generic laptop.

Also, depends on the processor, it may or may not be worth it to OC it. If it has four cores on it, OC'ing it is an overkill on a laptop. Unless Benchmarks are your fetish, and in that case, go ahead :P

I have an ASUS G750JM gaming laptop and the temps sometimes reach the 85/90C mark and it's designed to run at temps that high (i checked....I was worried!)

I see why you want to OC, but as Twerk and everyone else has said, it's fairly pointless....but let us know how it goes :)

Oh, if it's a spacious laptop for gaming, that changes the case. You didn't provide the links of the original post, so I assumed you were talking on a generic laptop.

Also, depends on the processor, it may or may not be worth it to OC it. If it has four cores on it, OC'ing it is an overkill on a laptop. Unless Benchmarks are your fetish, and in that case, go ahead :P

Oh yeah, no doubt.  I don't plan on seeing any real world benefits by overclocking it... especially with a 980m for a GPU :P

The 980m is a bottleneck on stock settings already lol

Just want to see what I can do with it ^^

I am actually pretty impressed with the 980m though, deals with a decent amount of gaming.  

• 5 weeks later...

Haha forgot to give an update on this, everything went well!  I did end up getting Svet's BIOS, and it isn't as sketchy as some people had made it out to be.  As long as you're not completely idiotic, there shouldn't be any problems with the BIOS.  Play it safe, and all goes well.  I also ended up delidding the CPU, as I figured I didn't have much to lose.  Not as hard as people make it out to be either.

Ended up getting a stable 4.7 ghz @ 1.35V on the CPU and a 1250MHz on the 980m.  Anything over that on the GPU and (even though the temps are stable) games seem to get really wonky.  Tearing, black screens, etc.  Kind of strange, but happy with it all the same ^^

I think it's due to the fact that the power draw grows exponentially crazy with the 980m.  It's a power efficient card at low speeds, but once you start increasing it... oh boy.  Not sure if the laptop can handle the power draw :P

Looking around it appears that quite a few people were able to push 4.8ghz with an i7 6700k, but I will be content with the 4.7ghz I think.  All temps cap out at 80-85C depending on what I'm doing.  The surface hardly even gets warm :)

The difference between stock speeds and the overclocking is light and day, can just tell it's a lot more bang.  Definitely will go with the MSI barebones whenever I need a new laptop.  Considering this thing is already ~2 years old, it stands up pretty well.

Haha forgot to give an update on this, everything went well!  I did end up getting Svet's BIOS, and it isn't as sketchy as some people had made it out to be.  As long as you're not completely idiotic, there shouldn't be any problems with the BIOS.  Play it safe, and all goes well.  I also ended up delidding the CPU, as I figured I didn't have much to lose.  Not as hard as people make it out to be either.

Ended up getting a stable 4.7 ghz @ 1.35V on the CPU and a 1250MHz on the 980m.  Anything over that on the GPU and (even though the temps are stable) games seem to get really wonky.  Tearing, black screens, etc.  Kind of strange, but happy with it all the same ^^

I think it's due to the fact that the power draw grows exponentially crazy with the 980m.  It's a power efficient card at low speeds, but once you start increasing it... oh boy.  Not sure if the laptop can handle the power draw :P

Looking around it appears that quite a few people were able to push 4.8ghz with an i7 6700k, but I will be content with the 4.7ghz I think.  All temps cap out at 80-85C depending on what I'm doing.  The surface hardly even gets warm :)

The difference between stock speeds and the overclocking is light and day, can just tell it's a lot more bang.  Definitely will go with the MSI barebones whenever I need a new laptop.  Considering this thing is already ~2 years old, it stands up pretty well.

YOU MANIAC xD

At 85 to 90 Celsius you bake a soufle over the span of 2 hours, not play games :P