Kuritho

DU Religions  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Religions?

2. 2. If you answered the above, do you have a DU Religion?

• I vote No/Maybe or I prefer not to answer above.
    • I'm an Atheist
    • Uh... We literally just started this topic (I will add more if anybody suggests any)
    • Raptor Squad
    • RNGesus
    • Other
    • None

Greetings fellow cults, worshipers, and atheists alike!

You may have been intrigued by this all-so sensitive topic? We are NOT going to discuss real-life religions, as those can quite easily turn into political and religious debates.

We are talking about in-game religions. Thought I might clear that up.

So let's discuss DU Religions!

DU is set a few centuries from now, I think people will realize for that time that gods don't exist, so it's unrealistic, other than useless and out of place in a game like DU to be added as a feature. But I can see people roleplaying, creating a religious organizations (like the Amarr Empire in EVE)

They do not necessarily have to have a deity, they could worship an idea (like tech superiority or purity) to a fanatic degree.

But anyway, isn't this a thing that will just happen because of the community and completely out of the control of everyone else? All hail Space Hello Kitty? By Vectron's will it shall be done?

Pretty sure I started the first DU Religion, https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/the-order-of-meru

And the second, https://community.dualthegame.com/organization/raptor-squad

So the response to your poll "If you answered the above, do you have a DU Religion?" doesn't have an answer that is applicable to me. 

DU is set a few centuries from now, I think people will realize for that time that gods don't exist, so it's unrealistic, other than useless and out of place in a game like DU to be added as a feature.

If I were you, I would avoid trying to make blanket statements like that, unless you want the thread to turn into a toxic mess. 

Wouldn't in-game religion just be a roleplaying/lore thing?

I don't think there should be any game mechanics made specifically for it, but if people want to RP and write stories on the topic that's fine :D

DU is set a few centuries from now, I think people will realize for that time that gods don't exist, so it's unrealistic, other than useless and out of place in a game like DU to be added as a feature. But I can see people roleplaying, creating a religious organizations (like the Amarr Empire in EVE)

I don't know if i should feel offended by this statement or just continue with my daily life.

But i don't think we need a deity, we could have People feel that role like in real life were Kings and Emperors have a religious cult.One example of this were the Romans if I am correct who had a cult that saw the Emperors as gods.

I don't know if i should feel offended by this statement or just continue with my daily life.

If there's anything I've learned... it's that religious intolerance does NOT work.  And such a mindset is telling about the kind of person you (you being collective, not targeting you) are.  I wouldn't worry about it... one bad apple doesn't represent the majority.

I do agree with yamamushi though, that discussion isn't meant for a gaming forum and as such isn't really necessary.

Here's what I think will be a reason for ingame religions inside DU to be very successful at some point.

There are different layers for players to group up with each other.
First, there are wild masses of people close to each other in terms of distance.
They can then form fixed groups like between a small party of friends.
Multiple of those parties would create clans or guilds in regular games, where Dual Universe offers organizations that are essentially both what guilds are and another layer for the larger orgs, mostly nations or whatever BOO would be categorized as.
Then on another, larger layer would be Alliances / Conglomerates / Umbrella Orgs or whatever you want to call it.

And that's where the religions kick in. 
Because typically, the raison d'être for a religion is to form a bond between a large amount of people.
That usually works out for religions that preach peace, as one example for an objective to work towards, among all their followers, which is achieved by idealizing common factors, for example the 10 commandments in Christianity or the 5 Pillars of Islam. And simplified, a deity or idol functions as personification of these common factors.
But not every religion needs this, as stated before a religion can idealize a set of characteristics (see mrjacobean's post) and worship them directly or through certain assets at best. That would be a reason why religions would work ingame.

And when given an objective, the followers can gather on an alternative layer, that exists alongside political layers that might restrict players from grouping up and working on an objective together. A Cinderfall politican is unlikely to work with a pirate on a shared vessel, because they have different points of interests that contradict each other and thus restrict them. But at the same time, they could be working on the religious layer on a giant vessel to eradicate a common enemy, let's say a different religion that idealizes war instead of peace or vice versa. And if these groups are just large enough, their usages are practically limitless and can become effective on the political level as well. So there we have a comparison between material and spiritual world, explained through different levels and layers.

TL;DR
Religions might be successful ingame because they are a means to form a group that can co-exist on a different, perhaps even larger level besides regular organizations or political factions.

Wouldn't in-game religion just be a roleplaying/lore thing?

I don't think there should be any game mechanics made specifically for it, but if people want to RP and write stories on the topic that's fine :D

I agree. I don't think there should be specific mechanics for it, so much as it being something for people who want to RP (and there will probably be a heavy amount of RP'ing in DU).

Thou shall not listen to infidels, fellow believer.

For we will bring you peace and freedom through destruction. The holy fires will burn brightly to cleanse the filth and purify the immortals.

There doesn't need to be mechanic for it (no one proposed this so I don't really get why some think you'd actually need aphysics mechanic for it)

There will definitely be cults, religions (certainly someone will worship the RNG) and sects. Pirates have a preference for such a thing in order to explain their actions ;)

Why and for? I think % of role-players will be very small in release dates. It could looks popular on forum while waiting game, but overal player base will never care about something like that, they will play the game. 

Ofc everyone may go anywhere, may do anything and may believe any religion or something else, but if to speak about "Is it need to be global?" - No.

Thanks,

Archonious

If it happens, it won't need to be mechanically implemented. It could be possible to set up a religion as an Org.

Depending on how much chance their is in scanning and loot though, I will be praising RNGesus.

Why and for? I think % of role-players will be very small in release dates. It could looks popular on forum while waiting game, but overal player base will never care about something like that, they will play the game. 

Ofc everyone may go anywhere, may do anything and may believe any religion or something else, but if to speak about "Is it need to be global?" - No.

Thanks,

Archonious

Religions/cults are actually pretty popular in these types of games... as they can "justifiy" certain behavior.

You don't need to participate, and I probably won't either... but they create an interesting social dynamic.  Even if it's only a small portion of the community, the impact can be large and severe.  

Religions/cults are actually pretty popular in these types of games... as they can "justifiy" certain behavior.

You don't need to participate, and I probably won't either... but they create an interesting social dynamic.  Even if it's only a small portion of the community, the impact can be large and severe.  

I just realized how true that is...

It applies to anything...

"Jason, you cannot burn down a village because L0rd Cl4ng demands it."

*chanting*

I just realized how true that is...

It applies to anything...

"Jason, you cannot burn down a village because L0rd Cl4ng demands it."

*chanting*

How dare you mock the mighty CLANG. he will ruin your builds! you have cursed us all!

People are going to do what they are going to do. 

There seems to be a lot of threads lately with the theme of "Should we allow [insert play-style / interest / group of people here]?"

DU is a sandbox game, and in my view, any group of people with any views or interests and any play-style should be allowed so long as they do not violate the rules of the game (TOS, EULA).

Edit: I realize that the thread was likely not started with that intent to try and "disallow" anything. I was referring more to some of the replies.  

We have a religion. It's called Raptor Squad. I'd know, I'm it's High Raptor-Priest and Yamamushi is the Raptor-Pope.

Clever girl?   <_<

I don't think there will be, but as many have said before me, role play elements will eventually bring this into being.