Users images in-game

Shynras

We talked about that already a little bit (i didn't find the thread so i'm opening a new one), NQ said, it would be a problem to check every single image to be sure they're appropriate and fit the game in its style and lore. That's fine, I knew that already that too much freedom in this regard to players could cause issues. But i'm wondering, instead of having no option to create a custom image (yea maybe there's an editor in game, but even with that we will never be able to really create a logo exactly how we want), what if you make it extremely expensive?

How would it work:

-If we want user made images that we upload from our pc to the game, there's need for a check from the devs to avoid unappropriate images.

-This would take an enourmus amount of time if people starts uploading a huge amount of images, and this would happen if this feature comes for free. So this feature need to have a price and be expensive to reduce the amount of images they'd have to check.

-We can't create gold sinks since the economy will be player driven, so we can't use the ingame currency to use this feature. The price needs to be in ingame resources or DAC/real money. 

-Both resources or DAC are the same, since you can trade resources for DACs and viceversa, so it doesn't bother to me either, but i guess a lot of people wouldn't understand this, so maybe it could be better to stick to resources (I'm not sure if NQ thinks it's a viable way, but if it is really expensive, people would buy DACs anyway to trade for gold and then for resources, to use the feature). At the end of the day, if they're getting paid 5$ translated into resources for each image uploaded that they have to check, I think it's a nice way for them to make some more cash and give the people who wants a little bit more customization, add their own designed logo (imagine all the organizations already on the community portal, you'd have to change your logo if there's only an editor ingame). Ofc an ingame editor that is cheap/free for everyone to use would still be an option.

EDIT: I'm referring mostly to images for organizations logos, not stickers you'd just paint an entire city with. 

I like the general idea of it, but if they never implement such a thing it's fine for me too and you'll have to live with it.

Such a feature would bring in-game prices up of dacs, but since we don't know for how much they'll sell I'd wait on that too.

They should work on core mechanics for release.

So yeah, possible not for release. If ever :)

Yes, I would prefer to not have this option, as i guarantee, there would be inappropriate images a lot. :/

I believe the goal would be to make the custom image item expensive enough that MODs would have time to approve each image.

When a player uploads an image via this item, it would probably have a 24 hour delay before it could be used, and during that time a Mod would either veto the image (if it is deemed inappropriate), approve the image (turning it "on" immediately), or do nothing which would turn on the image when the timer expires. This allows the item to function correctly even if they are having high work strain or taking some time off.

There will already be a way to report inappropriate constructs, so I imagine the same feature could be used to report inappropriate decals (in the cases where a mod either approved an inappropriate image without understanding it, or did nothing and it was approved by default). People WILL be making inappropriate constructs as it is, but the consequences for one getting caught might be bad enough that it doesn't become a problem.

I would rather not see something like this implemented for another reason. Creative players will be able to use the construct building tools to create their own images and logos in-game. They already demonstrated the ability to "paint" lines onto the hull of a ship, so even if you "painted" squares you could create a pixelated logo or flag with a little planning, and copy/paste it as a blueprint into and onto your other constructs. If you are able to use a color-slider, these logos could look quite complex.

In addition, adding a sliced wedge-shape could allow us to make more complex images. Take my banner/user image for example: it is made entirely out of squares and triangles (because I'm hoping to be able to use that technique to slap this puppy onto my structures and ships).

Because we will be able to sculpt and carve voxels, we may be able to "spread" fairly thin pieces of colored hull onto a flat piece. The way you would do this is place a thin/flat hull piece, and use the reduction tool to carve the sheet into the shape you really want for that color. Then slap that thin piece onto your existing hull and repeat for each color layer. This will be quite a bit like mural painting, or painting with gel medium!

I actually like the way Eve and other games do it where you can make a logo by combining a bunch of preset shapes. Otherwise you get a big range of simplistic to pro images which makes them look very inconsistent.

I believe the goal would be to make the custom image item expensive enough that MODs would have time to approve each image.

When a player uploads an image via this item, it would probably have a 24 hour delay before it could be used, and during that time a Mod would either veto the image (if it is deemed inappropriate), approve the image (turning it "on" immediately), or do nothing which would turn on the image when the timer expires. This allows the item to function correctly even if they are having high work strain or taking some time off.

Exactly. 

Yes, I would prefer to not have this option, as i guarantee, there would be inappropriate images a lot. :/

No, the all point of this is to have a mod/dev checking images. 

I like the general idea of it, but if they never implement such a thing it's fine for me too and you'll have to live with it.

Such a feature would bring in-game prices up of dacs, but since we don't know for how much they'll sell I'd wait on that too.

They should work on core mechanics for release.

So yeah, possible not for release. If ever :)

Shoulnd't be hard or time consuming to add. I could live with it too, but in a game like DU, custom logos are very important imho. 

It would bring up the prices of DAC if the currency we consume is DAC, it would make higher the prices of resources if the currency we use is resources. The price goes up for the item that "disappear", that's how a gold sink works. Having resources with higher price is not a bad thing, it would keep mining important, pirating valuable and so on, and anyway, it's not a feature so big that could influence the economy that much, it would still be a small resource-sink.

Another option would be to only allow certain people to be able to upload images, particularly those who would have a need for it. Those in charge of large organizations could be given the permission to be able to upload their choice of image into the game. This wouldn't be too difficult to figure out in terms of who gets the right, as the only people who you would want doing this would be "famous" anyway, because they are the head of the organizations at the top of the list. 

Another option would be to only allow certain people to be able to upload images, particularly those who would have a need for it. Those in charge of large organizations could be given the permission to be able to upload their choice of image into the game.

Eh, if that person has a grudge against you or if your orgs are enemies then I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting that image in-game.

While it could make for some interesting politics (and wars, people who defend them get brownie points and vice versa), I think that's a sort of power that shouldn't be in other player's hands, no matter how trustworthy they seem, and let alone focus more power into the larger orgs.

Another option would be to only allow certain people to be able to upload images, particularly those who would have a need for it. Those in charge of large organizations could be given the permission to be able to upload their choice of image into the game. This wouldn't be too difficult to figure out in terms of who gets the right, as the only people who you would want doing this would be "famous" anyway, because they are the head of the organizations at the top of the list. 

That doesn't really solves the problem, and people will complain about that being unfair for right reasons. What are the criterias devs would choose those players? It just doesn't make sense. 

I'm personally content just crudely creating images and logos using the voxel sculpting tools. It shouldn't be too hard to make a GRATZ PUPPY head ornament on a ship!

I'm personally content just crudely creating images and logos using the voxel sculpting tools. It shouldn't be too hard to make a GRATZ PUPPY head ornament on a ship!

Ye that's fine, but I guess there'll be a way to check organizations in game and join them, with informations, logo and stuff. You can't sculpt that xD I guess they could make it so there is soem kind of browser in game that let you go in the community portal, but that doesn't protect the game from whatever kind of images either.

Anyway I edited my OP, I'm referring mostly to organizations logos, not stickers/sprays

As far as org logos, I like the system where an org uploads an image, which then has to be approved by the mods before it goes live. Possibly also having limits on how often they can change their logo. 

As far as org logos, I like the system where an org uploads an image, which then has to be approved by the mods before it goes live. Possibly also having limits on how often they can change their logo. 

The Devs already mentioned NOT having a system like you described as it would take up too much manpower. This thread was put together to discuss the idea of making the process of uploading a logo resource intensive so that it would not take as much manpower.

I disagree with such a system, if you implement creativity for the players it has to be available for all.

If you want user pictures/logos to be implemented in the game, there shouldn't be a huge price put on them.  Perhaps a small money sink if necessary... but not something expensive enough such that it's a limiter for the amount of people who can use the feature.

If there are user-implemented pictures in the game I think the FIFO method would be best.  You might have a long wait, but meh... at least everyone's on even ground with creativity.

I disagree with such a system, if you implement creativity for the players it has to be available for all.

If you want user pictures/logos to be implemented in the game, there shouldn't be a huge price put on them.  Perhaps a small money sink if necessary... but not something expensive enough such that it's a limiter for the amount of people who can use the feature.

If there are user-implemented pictures in the game I think the FIFO method would be best.  You might have a long wait, but meh... at least everyone's on even ground with creativity.

It'd costs ingame resources like any other item you craft in game, i don't see how it is not available to everyone. A deathstar is not available to everyone anyway, should we ban the deathstar from the game? The price should be "high enough" that doesn't require too much manpower from the devs to check those images. There would still be a basic editor where you can combine different premade shapes to have a simbol, that would free or really cheap(i'm still talking about organizations logos, so you'd just need 1 image per organizations, but ofc could be expanded for other uses, if devs think it's a good idea) and the option "upload a custom image" that would be "expensive enough" for people that want more customization. 

Once each organization has his own logo, they'll change it rarely, it might be expensive but it's a feature that you'd rarely use, so if you think about that as a long term investment, it's a price that anyone can afford to pay. 

It'd costs ingame resources like any other item you craft in game, i don't see how it is not available to everyone. A deathstar is not available to everyone anyway, should we ban the deathstar from the game? The price should be "high enough" that doesn't require too much manpower from the devs to check those images. There would still be a basic editor where you can combine different premade shapes to have a simbol, that would free or really cheap(i'm still talking about organizations logos, so you'd just need 1 image per organizations, but ofc could be expanded for other uses, if devs think it's a good idea) and the option "upload a custom image" that would be "expensive enough" for people that want more customization. 

Once each organization has his own logo, they'll change it rarely, it might be expensive but it's a feature that you'd rarely use, so if you think about that as a long term investment, it's a price that anyone can afford to pay. 

Or we could just have an indepth logo system that devs don't have to waste time checking ^^

Or we could just have an indepth logo system that devs don't have to waste time checking ^^

Or we could build the logos into our constructs so that the devs don't have to develop yet another game mechanic!

That doesn't provide the same amount of customization, doesn't provide money to the devs and requires the same if not more time to develop "indepth", since a basic editor with a few simbols would be enough with the option to upload images from outside.

Or we could build the logos into our constructs so that the devs don't have to develop yet another game mechanic!

You can't build the logo in the organization information panel, in your UI, or in other 2d pages.

Archeage has custom in-game images.

How it works:

From my understanding, on the first offense of uploading something inappropriate, you get a warning and lose your image along with everything used to make it. Second offense, you get perma-banned. Personally I think that's sufficient as far as blocking things goes, and they've been doing this for a few years now so legally I don't think they've had much trouble with it.

Archeage has custom in-game images.

How it works:

From my understanding, on the first offense of uploading something inappropriate, you get a warning and lose your image along with everything used to make it. Second offense, you get perma-banned. Personally I think that's sufficient as far as blocking things goes, and they've been doing this for a few years now so legally I don't think they've had much trouble with it.

Yes, and it's not free, not even that cheap if i remember correctly. 

Each org has already uploaded their logo into the community site.  Wouldn't it be grand if that one is imported in game and used for things like that organizations Territory Unit?

For everything else, there is voxel painting.

do you realize there are hundreds and hundreds of organizaions on the comm site that devs would need to check anyway? Noone can guarantee that there are no images there that are not appropriate. And what happens when someone wants to change symbol? What about the huge amount of new organizations that will rise, over time, in the future? It's not that simple.

do you realize there are hundreds and hundreds of organizaions on the comm site that devs would need to check anyway? Noone can guarantee that there are no images there that are not appropriate. And what happens when someone wants to change symbol? What about the huge amount of new organizations that will rise, over time, in the future? It's not that simple.

It is that simple, out of all of the organizations now how many of them have "inappropriate content" in the logo?  Very few that's for sure.

No reason to waste the devs time IMHO.

I am completely against anything to limit or discourage people from uploading logos because someone might make one that is inappropriate.  The ones who upload the inappropriate images should be penalized, not everyone else.  If constructs do not need to be preapproved, there is no reason to require it for logos.

It is that simple, out of all of the organizations now how many of them have "inappropriate content" in the logo?  Very few that's for sure.

No reason to waste the devs time IMHO.

There are hundreds of orgs and you don't know if their logos are appropriate, because you didn't check. And btw you'll never find an unappropriate logo in the first big guilds, because otherwise they wouldn'tbe as big. Devs time is not wasted if, like i proposed, they make the image uploading is kinda expensive, because they'd get paid for that. If they charge something like 5€ (in resources or real money) and let's say they habe 200 images a month to check, they could do the job in 1 hour and get 1000€ from just that, almost enough to hire someone to do that (and more for the rest of the month), so they wouldn't waste time, they would gain time.